I don't like this...

Why do girls seem to appreciate the sound of a guitar more than an ukulele? Just in my experience they always go bonkers over the guitar guys. Us uka'z can jam too!!! grrr

i like the deepness of the guitar, maybe thats why ? :D
guitar or no guitar... you should still be able to pick up with out an object

Put a set of low GCEA strings on a baritone uke and they'll go nuts over your cute little guitar. Really!

Why do girls seem to appreciate the sound of a guitar more than an ukulele? Just in my experience they always go bonkers over the guitar guys. Us uka'z can jam too!!! grrr

i'm a girl and i'm more fond of the sound of a uke than a guitar.
then again.
i also play the uke.

hmmmm.

are you calling us gals here odd men out?
or,
women out?

hmmm ;):p

KoloheBoy i feel ya on that
my girlfriend is in love with guitar players also (she loves Miyavi)
so i had to show her what a uke can really do
just show the ladies that anything a guitar can do a uke can do too
do let it get you down
to girls ukes are cute cuz they are soo small
remember its not the size, its how you use it ^_^

Are you singing? Sadly instrumental music is unpopular.

I like a guy that can wail on any instrument....

Besides, guitars are just more popular - the uke is still trying to live down Tiny Tim ...

I am sure it has nothing to do with size.

I hope it has nothing to do with size.

Can it be?

Oh my god, I play a soprano.......

I know it's a different situation in Hawaii but in England the ukulele is still very much associated with the likes of George Formby and does not have a good reputation. It's considered to be a bit of a joke instrument aside classical instruments like the acoustic guitar, piano, etc etc. If I tell people I'm learning to play it they tend to laugh! This is perhaps made worse by all of the people on youtube with horrible ukuleles and terrible voices strumming for their life. You can't beat the ukulele when it's played by someone like Aldrine or Jake. I'm just content with the knowledge that it reminds me of Hawaii and is a beautiful instrument.

I think the image of the ukulele is changing here but for now I wouldn't start using it as a chat up technique to pick up women!

John

I know it's a different situation in Hawaii but in England the ukulele is still very much associated with the likes of George Formby and does not have a good reputation. It's considered to be a bit of a joke instrument aside classical instruments like the acoustic guitar, piano, etc etc. If I tell people I'm learning to play it they tend to laugh! This is perhaps made worse by all of the people on youtube with horrible ukuleles and terrible voices strumming for their life. You can't beat the ukulele when it's played by someone like Aldrine or Jake. I'm just content with the knowledge that it reminds me of Hawaii and is a beautiful instrument.

I think the image of the ukulele is changing here but for now I wouldn't start using it as a chat up technique to pick up women!

John
Agree 100%.

It is more popular with older folks though because they relate it to George Formby and Cliff Edwards who they loved.

When I started learning I was a bit embarrassed to tell anyone in the younger generation because they just don't get it. They see it as a party instrument only, playing the kind of stuff from WW2. That in itself is great though because I have found that everyone gets singing along after a few drinks.

As for birds though, well its the Rock image thing they like and I'm afraid the Uke just don't fit in with that.

technically, girls are young women... so it doesn't really matter, it also depends on your age.

I know a lot of females my age that still act like girls and I know a lot of females half my age that act like women.

I'm a gurl and think guitars are just ridiculously big now. :) I think this is the wrong forum for these woes because there are a fair few of us female uke players here. :)

But then I remember back in HS we looked down on guitar players because ... why? It was sort of seen as "less than" by the bandies. Such musical uneducated musical snobs we were.

just play im yours or somewhere over the raindbow:D
shell be all like:love:
especially if theyve seen 50 first dates

Top Bottom