Dyed Strings

Fireflybuzzbuzz

Reaction score
Hey guys, i know its a weird question, but here goes. Anyone know weather it is possible to dye nylon strings? I have a black ukulele and i think it would look awesome with orange strings. I know its possible to dye nylon, it just involved heating it. is it possible to dye without distorting the sound?

I don't know about dyeing strings yourself but Guadalupe Custom Strings has long been offering multicolored "hand-painted" nylon strings for mariachi, classical and flamenco players. They also have strings for ukuleles in "your choice of sets in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Clear, Black or mixed colors".

Email them and ask if they can do orange.

Last edited:
I recently tried some KoAloha dyed strings (discontinued) and some Guadalupe colored monofilament ukulele strings on my Honu concert, and found both to be underwhelming. I had put Worth CD's on it and those really sound much better to me. They're not bad, but they don't really compare to the Worth strings in my opinion.

it would look good, but i wouldn't do it

Colored Ukulele Strings

Just got our website up and running, please visit us at www.radstrings.com and check out our inventory of colored ukulele strings! Vivid Sound!!
Mahalo!

I've read a thread on someone's blog who has successfully dyed nylon strings by soaking them in a hot (not boiling) acidic dye solution like Rit Dye. In another blog, someone used Kool Aid (which he says has dye ie food colouring and is acid based) and added vinegar. The pics of the strings were a tinted colour. Humm, I have some extra Worth Clears kicking around, maybe I'll experiment on them this weekend if I can find Rit Dye in my area.

Edit: Found one of the blogs here:

http://dixiebanjolele.blogspot.com/2010/10/coloring-clear-nylon-strings.html

I got some of the purple Auroras They sound really nice on my Paulele. plan to order some more and try them out on my kids Maholos.

I would love to put a set of bright green strings on my mainland tenor that I'm going to order soon, but I feel like novelty strings like that always sacrifice quality.

Top Bottom