Concert vs. Tenor

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed around here many times but I'm going to bring it up again. I thought about this last night and wanted to share it. Every time I start thinking about getting an expensive uke, i.e. K-brand, I always think about a tenor. I have a concert and tenor by Mainland and love them both, but the concert is my favorite. It just has it all to me, I like the size, the feel, the sound, just everything about it is better to me. But, I think that the tenors are more poular in the K-brands around here and maybe I feel a little peer presure. I know that I will buy what I want in the end and if I ever spring for a K, I'm sure it will be a concert. This has absolutely no point, I just wanted to express a thought or two. Thanks.

Here is your answer: Super-concert!

I know this subject has been discussed around here many times but I'm going to bring it up again. I thought about this last night and wanted to share it. Every time I start thinking about getting an expensive uke, i.e. K-brand, I always think about a tenor. I have a concert and tenor by Mainland and love them both, but the concert is my favorite. It just has it all to me, I like the size, the feel, the sound, just everything about it is better to me. But, I think that the tenors are more poular in the K-brands around here and maybe I feel a little peer presure. I know that I will buy what I want in the end and if I ever spring for a K, I'm sure it will be a concert. This has absolutely no point, I just wanted to express a thought or two. Thanks.
maybe in the kamaka and kanile'a brand you hear of tenors more but I honestly think that the KoAloha concert is a very hard ukulele to beat.

Hey haoleJohn, whats the Koaloha concert like playing up the neck? I know some concerts i've played have had a slightly smaller fretboard than others, and playing chords around the 8-10th frets have been a massive struggle. Do you think these issues also exist with the Koaloha?
By the way, I saw your ukeing in the delivery room. Magic! what a great start to life having the beautiful sound of uke and voice of love :)
Monty

Hey haoleJohn, whats the Koaloha concert like playing up the neck? I know some concerts i've played have had a slightly smaller fretboard than others, and playing chords around the 8-10th frets have been a massive struggle. Do you think these issues also exist with the Koaloha?
By the way, I saw your ukeing in the delivery room. Magic! what a great start to life having the beautiful sound of uke and voice of love :)
Monty

i'll be honest with ya. I don't go past the 7th fret:) But it is more crammped than my tenors.

I played a Koaloha concert that belonged to someone who I was playing at a group night with- it blew my mind. I have dreams about that Uke.

KoAloha concerts are wonderful. I used to have one and I loved it. Only thing I wished I had gotten was a super-concert. (Now I have one)

If you like playing the concert scale more, then you should get a concert scale ukulele. I was more or less a tenor scale person for a couple of years because I thought I should be able to play stuff on the most "difficult" to play scale length, that way I could play what I learned on any scale length. After a while, I decided that I preferred the concert scale the most and now I play concert scale a lot more than tenor scale. Actually, I sort of cheat because I have a custom 16" long-scale concert that gives me the best of both worlds in terms of scale length. It feels like a tenor, but some of the really long stretches is a little easier to do compared to a standard tenor scale.

It would seem to me that you pretty much answered your question in your original post. You play and prefer concert. And as folks have pointed out a Koaloha concert is about as good as they get. (I've got two) ]
Concert is kind of my go to size personally, but I probably do most of my practice on a sopranino or a soprano (depending on what's closer) and use the tenor for a jazz workshop/weekly jam session (it's got a pick up). It's all good.

Don't let the tenor fetishists sway you. There is no intrinsic value added to longer scale length. It's just longer. If you enjoy playing concert get a concert. There's nothing stopping you getting a nice tenor too down the road if you decide later that you'd like one.

Top Bottom