updates on my Kamaka

Insight

Reaction score
I've been bummed for the past month as I received my Kamaka back from warranty work on the frets, only for it to sound the same (dead spots at 5 & 6th frets)... AND only 2 days later, a playful dog's head cracks the back through :( . I dropped it off at Tim gibson today, and it's fixable :). Also he is giong to level the fretboard and frets thus fixing my problem I initially had with it :D . He noted to me the resurgence of Ukulele's in popularity (last being early 70's he said). Also he said for me to check out Roy Smeck (Corrected see below) Uke's. (Sound holes make em sound good he said). From the impression he gave, he really knows his stuff! Can't wait to next week!!! ( Also he said some string maker north of here makes some awesome uke strings that the locals are raving about).

Last edited:
Uh, I think he meant Roy Smeck. :) The Roy Smeck "vita uke" was a teardrop shaped instrument with seals (the "arf arf," balancing a ball on nose, kind) for sound holes. I believe Ohana makes a modern copy, there might be others, too. Sometimes you can find a vintage original but they tend to be a bit steep.

John

"Royce Meck" would make an awesome UU forum ID wouldn't it??

Hey, Insight, if I'm outta line just slap me around a little, but are you by any chance vision impaired? I have a very good friend who is blind and most of his communications are on computer with the Jaws speech system and it just occurred to me that the difference between Royce Meck and Roy Smeck is exactly the kind of thing he does fairly often. Between that and your forum name I thought you might be using a screen reader as well.

Actually, what really occurred to me is that if you are using a screen reader you're going to be wondering why the heck we keep saying Royce Meck is not Roy Smeck! LOL

John

Last edited:
He probably was correct and I just wrote it down incorrectly. I'm just glad the damage is fixable and the fret issue since new is being resolved. Thanks to those referring me to him :)

So Kamaka didn't fix the problem you had originally so you have to pay for someone to take care of it for you? I know the dog isn't covered under warranty but I'm surprised Kamaka didn't fix your original issue.

At first, I was surprised myself, but after talking with Tim Gibson it is not surprising as even the best manufacturers are focused on sales of new instruments vs repairs as that is half-a-day someone is fixing a warranty vs manufacturing X number of instruments and they are not going to spend the time making sure each fret and wood is even, thus my trouble spots. I like my Kamaka's sound hands down, but I am glad I have a good Luthier I can go to for those things that slip by and for when siberian Huskies play "I'm a Ram" with the back of my Uke when they're rompin and a playin' without my notice! Besides faster to have fixed locally that pay $$$ shipping costs to HI a second time.

I've been bummed for the past month as I received my Kamaka back from warranty work on the frets, only for it to sound the same (dead spots at 5 & 6th frets)... AND only 2 days later, a playful dog's head cracks the back through :( . I dropped it off at Tim gibson today, and it's fixable :). Also he is giong to level the fretboard and frets thus fixing my problem I initially had with it :D . He noted to me the resurgence of Ukulele's in popularity (last being early 70's he said). Also he said for me to check out Roy Smeck (Corrected see below) Uke's. (Sound holes make em sound good he said). From the impression he gave, he really knows his stuff! Can't wait to next week!!! ( Also he said some string maker north of here makes some awesome uke strings that the locals are raving about).

I want to know about the strings too !!!!!

The strings are probably Guadalupe -- although they are now in LA they used to be in the Santa Barbara area. The other possibility is Alternate Tunings which I don't think made strings but did put sets together. They were in SLO but Mike Atkins closed the business a couple of years ago.

I hope it all works out for you. The whole comment about a dead spot at the 5th and 6th frets is pretty mysterious. Leveling the fret board entails removing the frets and planing and/or sanding the fret board straight so that you have a a flat surface to install the frets into. Maybe you misinterpreted what he told you as refrets are expensive even on ukes.

I will be interested to know if he resolves your problems for you.

Oh and it sounds like you need either smaller dogs or a hardshell case..

Top Bottom