Ukulele for a bass player

nova0135

Reaction score
So I am a new uke player (or soon to be) and have a back ground in bass guitar. I prefer the low end sound of almost any instrument and love the sound of someone like 'Alice in Chains' and see it being fun to play some of their music on the uke. So my question is this: I am looking at buying a tenor for my first uke, but since I prefer the low end sound of a bass versus the brighter tones would I be better off and more happy with a baritone uke? Any advice or opinions on this question would be appreciated.

Well, I'm a bass player who went for the tenor and I'm real happy with it. But really you need to try to check a baritone and a tenor out for yourself and see which one you like.

If using reentrant tuning, will probably prefer low g. With right strings for baritone uke, can tune either one gCEA

I guess the first thing to ask yourself is, "what attracts me to the uke?" The uke (even a baritone) has, after all, fairly little bass response compared to a bass or even a guitar. Is it the "happy" sound that attracts you to the uke? If so, you will probably want a reentrant tuned uke (the fourth - G - string is higher than the third - C - string). If not, and you remain committed to the uke, then you probably want a "low" tuned uke - either a baritone or a tenor with a low G string.

John

I was at a guitar shop this weekend looking at ukes and found what they called a "bassulele". it was about as long as a baritone, but with a bigger body and HUGE strings. i can't remember if it was tuned EADG or DGBA or something else altogher, but it was pretty cool. and pretty pricey. it was an accoustic/electric, and the store people said that everbody loves plugging it in and messing around with it, and that blows many of the regular electric basses out of the water.

anyway- i'm a guitarist and bassist (mainly guitarist, though) turned uker, and i have a pretty nice baritone and a very cheap (but surprisingly nice) soprano. The baritone has a much MUCH thicker sound, though that probably has something to do with the quality of the instrument itself. i've started tuning it DGBA, but with re-entrant tuning, so i get the depth and thickness of the instrument, but keep the overall "ukeness" with the high 4th string. the baritone is definately more comfortable for my fat little stumps called fingers, but i messed around on some tenors and found them to be equally comfortable.

all this to say: find what's comfortable for you, and you can make it sound how you want with the right arrangement of strings.

Oh- one important point: you should probably ignore my advise, because i've only been playing these things for a few weeks :D

Top Bottom