PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody do this?

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 04:10 AM
I bought a book on the net, - Mel Bau's "Hawaiian Tune Book", thought I should learn some Hawaiian tunes. All well, some nice melodic peaces there I enjoy. However, the arrangements seems to use add4 a lot, - like A Maj add 4

5-5-4-6

There is no way I can bend my fingers to do that. Anybody?

hopkid
03-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Assuming the numbers refer to the fret position on the GCEA strings, I would do it this way:

Index finger on the E string, 4th fret
Middle finger on both the G and C strings, 5th fret
Ring finger on A string, 6th fret

Nice sound on that chord. I may just have to check out that book. :)

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Hello hopkid, thks for the input. I ment to refere 1. string or a string first, unclear there I admit. Your kind suggestion will then be "upside down" and according to my online chord finder

http://www.ukulele.nl/chordfinder.php

the nice ringing chord makes Fm7 or C#6.

Yes, it's a nice book, I misspelled in my first message, it's Mel Bay's, and the authors are Ken Eidson and Ross Cherednik. It's only these add4 chords that drives me crazy :-)

mm stan
03-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Think of doing a Dm7 higher up the frets...I hope it helps ..good Luck, MM Stan

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Think of doing a Dm7 higher up the frets...I hope it helps ..good Luck, MM Stan

Thks stan. Yes I suppose some workaround is needed. I take this as a confirmation that 5-5-4-6 is not possible.

Again thks

OldePhart
03-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Still not 100% sure which order you're listing the strings in - if you mean 6455 from G to A then I can do it but it's not something I'd want to do a lot. :)

Try index finger on the C string, fourth fret, second and ring fingers on the E and A strings, respectively, fifth fet, then curl the pinky over to pick up the G string, 6th fret. Not too tough on tenor and should be easier still on concert - might be tough for me on soprano, though.

That's a fairly unusual chord - quite a bit of dissonance from the presence of the third and fourth together. I think I'd want to use it sparingly for more than just the pain of getting the fingers in the right places!

Ken Middleton
03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I bought a book on the net, - Mel Bau's "Hawaiian Tune Book", thought I should learn some Hawaiian tunes. All well, some nice melodic peaces there I enjoy. However, the arrangements seems to use add4 a lot, - like A Maj add 4

5-5-4-6

There is no way I can bend my fingers to do that. Anybody?

Is this chord actually labelled A maj add 4 in the music? That is certainly what it is if you fret the notes "upside down". It is playable, but difficult. I would suggest that, if this is the case you learn it, not try to find substitutes. I can play it.

However, if the fretting is done the correct way round, it makes a lovely chord of Ab6 or Fm7. This way round it is easily playable.

Lori
03-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Thks stan. Yes I suppose some workaround is needed. I take this as a confirmation that 5-5-4-6 is not possible.

Again thks
It might not be easy, but on a concert sized uke I could play it with middle finger on g (5), ring on c (5), index on e (4) and pinkie on a (6).
–Lori

spookefoote
03-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I concur with Ken. It is most playable and a lovely sounding chord too!

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Is this chord actually labelled A maj add 4 in the music? That is certainly what it is if you fret the notes "upside down". It is playable, but difficult. I would suggest that, if this is the case you learn it, not try to find substitutes. I can play it.

However, if the fretting is done the correct way round, it makes a lovely chord of Ab6 or Fm7. This way round it is easily playable.

I am sorry if my way of writing this has caused some confusion, but I thought it was common to use the "a" string as the first, 5-5-4-6. The chord is not named in the notebook, but the chord finder on the net names it as A maj add4. From the g string and down, the frets are 6-4-5-5. Yes Ken, I shall certainly like to learn it, as it is how the music is written. Well now at least since you all confirms it is possible and not a printing error.

Following my old friend and companion from Texas' advice I find (to my surprice) that I can juuuuuust aboute make it, at least something to work on.

Thks a lot to all of you, OldePhart.., Ken, Lori and spookefoote.

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Still not 100% sure which order you're listing the strings in - if you mean 6455 from G to A then I can do it but it's not something I'd want to do a lot. :)

Try index finger on the C string, fourth fret, second and ring fingers on the E and A strings, respectively, fifth fet, then curl the pinky over to pick up the G string, 6th fret. Not too tough on tenor and should be easier still on concert - might be tough for me on soprano, though.

That's a fairly unusual chord - quite a bit of dissonance from the presence of the third and fourth together. I think I'd want to use it sparingly for more than just the pain of getting the fingers in the right places!

Thks pal, made me going. I owe you one :-)

Ambrosius
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
The chord "shape" is used among other places, in the opening sequence of a song named "Waialae". The chord progression is

-8-----6-----6-----5-
-6-----6-----6-----6-
-5-----5-----5-----5-
-7-----7-----7-----7-

It sounds very nice, and I could not quite get it with a substutution. Thks again all.