Anbody tried the Alaska Pik on a uke??

Magoosan

Reaction score
I must say I'm against using a pick on the uke, but I'm also getting discouraged with breaking my picking nails just when they get to a good length. Have tried the brush on strengtheners, but don't really want to go the glue on route. These Alaska Piks (http://www.alaskapik.com/) look like an interesting alternative. Have ordered a couple of different sizes but haven't received them yet. Will report back when I've tried them.

I must say I'm against using a pick on the uke, but I'm also getting discouraged with breaking my picking nails just when they get to a good length. Have tried the brush on strengtheners, but don't really want to go the glue on route. These Alaska Piks (http://www.alaskapik.com/) look like an interesting alternative. Have ordered a couple of different sizes but haven't received them yet. Will report back when I've tried them.

It looks interesting, but for those of us without nails, it also looks like a non-starter.

I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

-Kurt

It looks interesting, but for those of us without nails, it also looks like a non-starter.

I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

-Kurt
There are many threads on picks. The Alaska works, but as Kurt said you need some nail.
I prefer bare fingrs, but there are times when I just wear out my index finger nail. I use the Fred Kelly freedom picks, but they are expensive when you lose them.
I use the clear and most folks can't tell I have a pick on. Both Alaska & Freedom picks are like a nail extention so you can pick and/or strum.
Depending on you strum style you may want to put a clear pick guard on your uke.

I appreciate this thread and any other posters who might weigh in. I can't keep my right index nail recently and it's frustrating.

I use the Fred Kelly freedom pick when my index nail gets destroyed. I find them pretty comfortable and I'm able to both strum and finger pick with one on.

I used the Alaska picks for a while on my banjo uke, but developed a picking style that uses my fingertips - not the nails, but the fleshy end of the fingers. I found it more comfortable and loud enough for me. But everyone is different.

Top Bottom