#2 Baritone for Daughter

Michael Smith

Reaction score
This is a Baritone I built for my daughter. Built mostly from scavenged wood. Walnut back and sides were scavenged from the local gun stock maker. Douglas Fir top scavenged from construction site I built a wine cellar for. The red wood on the rosette and headstock are Pernambuco from reject violin bows a guy gave me who was having a yard sale. The rosette also is southern pine I picked up at a job. The neck is Peruvian Walnut with a bloodwood center strip. My daughter likes all things Deco so I tried to make some of the elements in that style.

Attachments

• full_view.jpg
    full_view.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 118
  • box_only.jpg
    box_only.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 113
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 110
  • headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 119
  • rosette.jpg
    rosette.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 117
Micheal... That is one lucky daughter! What a beautiful and unique looking uke! I love that you used all salvaged wood..
Does she know? If it sounds half as good as it looks it will sound amazing!!
Thanks for sharinG!

Micheal... That is one lucky daughter! What a beautiful and unique looking uke! I love that you used all salvaged wood..
Does she know? If it sounds half as good as it looks it will sound amazing!!
Thanks for sharinG!

+1 !!!
That is an amazing uke, very very nice!!!!

Holy smokes. It's gorgeous! I love the rosette.

Scavenged material or not, that was a mighty fine instrument. I'd be proud to own it, not the least to have made it. As your daughter, I'm weak for the art deco. The rosette was among the very best I've seen.

" love that you used all salvaged wood..
Does she know?"

I'd don't remember if we talked about that. She's full grown so I only see her every couple of weeks.

Absolutely beautiful. Great to see salvaged wood put to the best of uses. Rosette and headstock stunning. Lucky daughter.

Wouldn't salvaged wood be a benefit to the instrument, soundwise? I mean if all other factors are equal?

That is shockingly beautiful. Your rosette is one of the most beautiful design elements I've ever seen on a uke, and I love the deco bridge and headstock.

My hat is off to you!

Top Bottom