Help please

lefty dan

Reaction score
Hi can someone tell me the best way to fill in wood saw dust to repair a cut to deep. I was cutting the channel for the binding and when I put the binding on I will have a little area that will need to be filled with saw dust. I think last time I used titebond glue and saw dust. Is that correct? When it drys will I see the glue? Is there a better way?
Hope I explained myself.
Thanks
Dan

Unless your sides are ebony, that is a hard repair to make disappear. I would consider using a deeper binding or adding a purfling strip underneath the binding.

Brad

Its black walnut and a small 1/8 spot. Im going to full and see how it turns out then if I need to I was also thinking about Purfling. Should I just use glue and dust?

If the black walnut id dark enough it may not be too bad. I would try glue and wood dust, it will probably be darker than the rest of the wood.

Brad

Cool, Im going to work on it tomorrow. I will used white glue. Didnt even think of that.
I will let ya know how it turns out.

If it's a tiny sliver in dark wood you can usually get buy with sanding the area so the dust from the adjacent wood is pushed into the spot. Then a drop of thin CA on top. Level sand and perhaps repeat.

I filled it with wood filler and then cut the binding Chanel. Now its a lot smaller. I think it will work.
Wish my camera didnt break or I would take a photo. Maybe when my wife gets home from work I can use her cell phone.
Thanks everyone.
Dan

Top Bottom