Newbie here just saying hi

AcousticDoc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a noob to Ukulele and just found out about this place. I started trying to seriously learn ukulele since...uhhh yesterday lol. I have a Jenny concert mahogany and I'm digging this Ukulele thing. Only problem is I don't know how to progress! Just play songs? Memorize chords? Learn technique? I dunnooooooo!

Hey I'm just learning too. I've found the best way to learn is to find a song you already really like and know well and try and find a video of someone playing it as well as the tablature (simple music notation) and you'll find learning it becomes a lot easier. After this you find you pick up other chords and techniques quickly.

Keep finding different songs you like and it will all fall into place if you practice enough (my first two fingers of my left hand are pretty numb all of the time now). I recommend starting with Aldrine's lessons, some of which are more difficult than others but with practice they get easier, you can find them here:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/category/ukulele-lessons/

You should also look at his lessons and quick tips on www.iamhawaii.com Just do a search for ukulele and they should come up. I know a few people have had problems accessing these but they still work for me.

Good luck, it's definitely worth it!

John

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU Universe!

Welcome AcousticDoc and Upskydowncloud...if you are looking for people to encourage you to completely ignore all your responsibilities, spend all of your time and money on ukuleles, and love every minute of it...you've come to the right place. :nana:

Welcome to the forum! It's easy to get overwhelmed, as there is just sooo much info available for new people. I'd say have a look at the main site and look under Uke Minutes, Uke Lessons and Uke Beginner -- you'll find lots of tools to get you going.

Have fun!

Hello, I'm a noob to Ukulele and just found out about this place. I started trying to seriously learn ukulele since...uhhh yesterday lol. I have a Jenny concert mahogany and I'm digging this Ukulele thing. Only problem is I don't know how to progress! Just play songs? Memorize chords? Learn technique? I dunnooooooo!

Didn't we meet last night? If so and/or you're in SoCal, you should come by Island Bizaar on Tues. or Thurs. for one or both of the clubs. The more you play, the mo betta you get!

Didn't we meet last night? If so and/or you're in SoCal, you should come by Island Bizaar on Tues. or Thurs. for one or both of the clubs. The more you play, the mo betta you get!

!?!? lol I think you have me mistaken for someone else...I'm from NorCal!

I actually came into this site from running into someone on youtube who told me about this site after she saw one of my attempts to play ukulele on youtube lol.

Welcome AcousticDoc and Upskydowncloud...if you are looking for people to encourage you to completely ignore all your responsibilities, spend all of your time and money on ukuleles, and love every minute of it...you've come to the right place. :nana:

Thanks Boozelele, I love this place, although I feel I have the right to complain because I now spend at least 2 hours a day drooling over various ukuleles! It can't be healthy.

Thanks Boozelele, I love this place, although I feel I have the right to complain because I now spend at least 2 hours a day drooling over various ukuleles! It can't be healthy.

Two hours? That's nothing! You're fine! There are people here who spend way more time than that! If you end up trying to sell your kids on ebay to buy your next uke, you might have a problem (although I think this is a totally reasonable and acceptable thing to do)

I haven't got any kids fortunately otherwise I probably would try to sell them. I've got a few dogs though, maybe those would sell? I've got my eye on a Kamaka or KoAloha tenor so will need a fair bit of cash.

Hey there! I'm just learning too. It will take some time to progress. I been practicing the one song that I learned from my lesson which is "Amazing Grace" it looks easy but reading TABS is another story. I am glad that you are learning how to play the 'ukulele. Keep on practicing!

Hey there! I'm just learning too. It will take some time to progress. I been practicing the one song that I learned from my lesson which is "Amazing Grace" it looks easy but reading TABS is another story. I am glad that you are learning how to play the 'ukulele. Keep on practicing!

Sweet! how long have you been playing for?

How come I can't post a profile pic? Uploading the pic doens't work and hosting it on photobucket gives me an invalid link in the User CP (the pic is 4Kb and less than 100x100).

Oh shieeet I just saw the sticky above saying not to introduce yourself here...AH! I'm Sorry!

Top Bottom