PDA

View Full Version : Tenor Fluke Review

shane v
03-30-2011, 03:16 PM
So, after reading about how durable the Flea and the Fluke ukuleles are, I decided
to pull the trigger and get one. I opted for a mahogany tenor Fluke. Upon opening
it, my first impression was that it was a little smaller than I expected..I knew it
was actually a concert body w/a tenor neck, but for some reason I was still expecting
it to be a little bigger.(insert "that's what she said joke"). Still, it looked really
nice...loved the mahogany grain. Before I even strummed it, I switched the high g to
a low g. Then my first strum...Immediately loved it! It has a rich, full sound that
really surprised me. And, it just plays so easily! This really should have been my
first uke. I also opted for a hard case, and I'm really glad I did..Love it, love it,
love it!

Oh, and I can't say enough about how nice and helpful the people at Flea Market Music were.
Just really nice folks.....I wish more businesses understood how far that goes.

All in all, a perfect companion to my Pono MT-E...Up next, I'm thinking a
Loprinzi "nova".... Life is good!..cheers!

p.s. the friction tuners are way less trouble that I expected... I got used to them very quickly..

fitncrafty
03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
The flea market is about 90 miles from my house. I am saving cash for a trip! (not really for the trip but I can't imagine not coming home with a uke!) So now you make me want to go even more.. way more..
So glad to hear yet another good review... sounds wonderful!!

mm stan
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Aloha Shane V,
Congrats on your new Tenor fluke,,,have fun and enjoy...happy strummings..MM Stan

Mouthy1
03-31-2011, 06:13 AM
A fluke really needs to be in everyone's stable. I have had 4!

tuscadero
03-31-2011, 06:22 AM
i didn't know you could visit Flea Market. I'm in Massachusetts, that can't be too far for a day trip…hmmmm

mds725
03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Congratulations on your new ukulele! I have a tenor flea and really like it.

Coconut Willie
04-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Congratulations on your new Fluke!! Got any pics to show us??

Gmoney
04-02-2011, 03:49 AM
... SNIP ...All in all, a perfect companion to my Pono MT-E...Up next, I'm thinking a
Loprinzi "nova".... Life is good!..cheers!

Congratulations on the Fluke. Like others, I think I'll have to own a Fluke or Flea one day. Got a LoPrinzi already, and LOVE it. Its not the Nova, but heres a Nova for sale on eBay (I'm not the seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260732582796

The same guy also has a beautiful Koa LoPrinzi as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loprinzi-Solid-Koa-Tenor-Ukulele-LP-AK-T-/320652784707

My Mahogany one needs some company & those prices are pretty good appealing!

Have fun w/your new Fluke!

shane v
04-02-2011, 02:18 PM
@CoconutWillie...I'm heading out of town for a few days, but I'll try to soon...

@Gmoney... thanks for the heads up... I'll go take a look...although my wallet is telling me not to right now....

edgar44
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I have had two flukes, one with a tenor neck the other with a concert neck. Love em both...but I sold the tenor neck Surf because I needed the cash...Argh! Flueks are great to haul to the beach or mountains camping and are very forgiving in the outdoors. Have fun with your fluke!

ksiegel
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
i didn't know you could visit Flea Market. I'm in Massachusetts, that can't be too far for a day trip…hmmmm

Yeah, they are about 7 miles south of Great Barrington. Sheffield is about equidistant from Arlington as from Albany.

I went down March 16, before they actually had a sales shop, and walked out with a Mahogony Tenor Fluke, with the rosewood fretboard, Peghed tuners and B-Band preamp - and ordered the Firefly banjo Uke (Which is shipping today!!! SQUEEEEEE!).

I agree with Shane - the Fluke is pretty awesome - the sound is BIG! Great for blues and the strumming is just fun. I still haven't plugged mine in though - I'm waiting to try Fitncrafty's amplifier. (g)

Even more important, the people are GREAT! Phyllis, Dale, Beth, and Lucy made me feel completely welcome, I was encouraged to play anything I wanted to, and Dale brought out two FireFly prototypes for me to play, as well as showing me the production neck and tailpiece he had designed.

I've been playing the Fluke probably 90% of the time right now. It is a joy.

I recommend a trip down to Sheffiled. If you go, tell them Kurt Form Schenectady said "Hi!".

-Kurt