PDA

View Full Version : banjo part to ukulele part

Kiefiskool78
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
how would it sound using a ukulele for a banjo part.
specifically i am trying to work out a couple covers for mumford and sons and i have the guitar part and was trying to figure out a good way to make it have a fuller sound.

ksiegel
03-31-2011, 04:31 AM
It should sound just fine.

The 5-string banjo is traditionally tuned to an open G, with the 5th string a re-entrant tuning. (remember, in this case "traditionally" means something that has been done at least 3 times).

The Ukulele, in C tuning, is tuned to a C6 chord, but the 4th string is re-entrant. A slight difference, but not insurmountable. If you drop the A string to a G, then you have an open C. If you would normally play a 5-string banjo with the 3-finger ("Scruggs" style) picking, you'd simply adjust how you play, to make up for having one fewer of the lower pitched strings. If you play with a frail or clawhammer, there really isn't much difference at all.

Keep in mind that the banjo parts in the Mumford & Sons songs seem to have the typical treble tinniness/ring of steel strings on a skin head - a nylon stringed instrument will not give you that, whether banjo, banjo-uke, or ukulele, and will sound warmer. If that's what you mean by "a fuller sound", then by all means go for it.

I do like most of what I've head from Mumford & Sons, but rather than trying for a note-perfect imitation, I'd encourage you to use the songs, but make to sound your own.

Best of luck!

-Kurt

(disclaimer: Can't read music, don't have a great singing voice, don't play too hot, haven't made any videos, just love music and have lots of fun with my ukuleles.)

ksiegel
04-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow! Nobody else has replied to this in 3 days?

It almost makes it look like I know what I'm talking about!
I'd be interested to see if anyone has an other/different perspective on this.

-Kurt