PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help?

LihnChee
03-31-2011, 01:57 AM
I would like to know what G string Tuning I should use, for my concert Ukulele Aquila strings, Which one is more commonly used?(High/Low)
Sadly I cant go out to try each, So I'll need answers ASAP !
Also, What tuning (High or low) does Jake Shimabukuro use on his Tenor?

Thanks in advance (:

Ambrosius
03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
Hello LihnChee

If you have the strings already, it's set. You need to change the string(s) to alter the tuning. If your g string is thinner then c string, tune it high, thicker tune it low. If your question is more in general, the answer is "to your liking", really. Myself, I have been switching between high and low a couple of times (by a shortened guitar d string, not to change the entire set). My view is high g rings prettiest if you strum the most, and low g gives you more access to tones if you play melodies more. Not that you can't play melodies on a high g string, - I believe Jake uses high g as does many many of the top players.

bazmaz
03-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Most common on the concert is high G re-entrant. That isnt to say you cant tune it low G though. To me though, on sops and concerts, the high G gives the nice "ukulele" sound. Can see why Tenor players choose low though, but then, I'm not a huge fan of tenors!

FlakMonkey
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
I find that High G is more common, but low G is used quite a lot in jazz ukulele.

LoMa
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
High G is more common, but I like the sound of low G.
Do what appeals to you most. The hihg G gives the isntrument that "ukulele tone"
whereas a low G gives the uke more of a mini-guitar sound. I have a uke in high and one with low G.