Fremont Carbons

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm usually an Aquila man, but I just put some Fremont Carbons on Ku'upoki'i last night to try them. The Aquilas work fine for the SK-21, but do tend to be kind of slack. So, upon recomendation, I tried these carbons, and I do like them better on Ku'upoki'i. They have much better tension on her size. I'll add another video in a couple minutes.

Last edited:
I didn't like Aquilas on mine either. You could really hear the scratching (supposed to be better with the new ones?). I love Fremonts, but didn't have any on hand. I have Ko'olau Mahanas on there right now and I like those.

I really needed a light touch with the Aquilas or it would go sharp. Do you tune it to C or D?

It's standard C.. It was recomended to go D, but I didn't feel upto learning to play all new chords.. So, I stayed with what I know.. Ya can't teach an old dawg new tricks, lol

Sounds great! Thanks for the review.

It's standard C.. It was recomended to go D, but I didn't feel upto learning to play all new chords.. So, I stayed with what I know.. Ya can't teach an old dawg new tricks, lol

That's why I only play D when I'm by myself! :D It just sounds so happy and chipper in D. Makes me feel optimistic!

I agree that the thinner profile of the fremonts works better on the crowded soprano fretboard. I only had tenor fremonts but i put them on my soprano and they sound nice.
Nice playing. Good sound sample

I tried a set of the Blacklines on my solid mahogany Melokia concert a year or so ago and quite liked them. I can't quite remember why I took them off, but it has Worth clears on it now. I think I swapped them out when I was trying as many different strings out as I could get my hands on. I'll have to see if I can find them and try them out again, I've found I really like the flourocarbon strings on my sprucetops.

These are Fremont carbons, but while I have a couple videos today, I thought I would add "Sunny Afternoon" on the SK-35 with Aquila Nylguts on "Iz". I can't leave Iz out.

After doing the string trials with most of the other brands, the Blacklines are a clear favorite for me. The high gauge ( not sure if that the correct term ) of the strings really plays nicely for me.

I used Freemont on my Sopranino (when I still had it) and it sounded really fine. I had it tuned in D. I may have to give them another go round on my soprano. Nice playing by-the-way my friend!

Top Bottom