Thoughts on Kala's new Ukadelic line...

FlakMonkey

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't seen these beasts: http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala_Ukadelic.asp

I have fallen in love with these new ukes, especially the KA-STATTOO, and I was wondering if anybody owns one of these and can give me some information on sound quality, durability etc, etc. Obviously they are made by Kala, so they're going to be
top-notch for their price range, but I'm just looking for more info.

So stylish...

I have the tiki ukadelic ukulele (KA-STIKI), which I bought from the Wine Country Ukulele Festival store, Kani Ka Pila, after having attended the festival last September. For craftsmanship, sound and playability, the tiki uke reminds me a lot of my Kala dolphin. I'm not much of a soprano fan and I bought the tiki ukulele mostly because it looked cool and reminds me of the festival. You pay a little extra for the cool factor (dolphins are cheaper, although one reason for that is that dolphins are made of plastic instead of laminate). If you're willing to pay about $100 for an ukulele that would probably be worth more like $70 without the design, I think it would be worth buying one.

Last edited:
I played one or two and I have to admit I wasn't in love. Not saying it's a bad uke. I just didn't suit me. It was very light and the next had very porous wood. Idk why. But they do look crazy awsome.

I scored a great deal on 2 of the Ukadelics on eBay courtesy UU member WestPhillyUkes.

I also happen to own an Orange Burst Dolphin (my go everywhere daily play uke).

Comparatively speaking:

1) The Dolphin is sturdier and has a better neck/body balance, IMO;

2) The Dolphin projects sound better (its tone is often described as "harp-like" by listeners -- it's the uke I carry around in the car);

3) The Red Plaid Ukadelic projects better than the Green Paisley one (not quite as loud as the Dolphin, but also harp-like);

4) The Green Paisley is GORGEOUS in real life -- very emerald! and has a pleasant, more contemplative tone. It's the uke I play right before bedtime.

My Dolphin was set up by Music Guy Mic and it's got amazing playability. Frets are completely smooth and it feels like I barely have to touch the strings to get a good sound.

Disclaimer:

I'm a newbie, I got my first uke (the Dolphin) on 1/24/2011

I've only played 2, but honestly I wasn't terribly impressed. I thought they were awfully quiet, a little neck heavy, and had more of a $30 feel vs the $100 you pay for it. I much prefer the Dolphin to the ones I played.

I doubt I'll carry the Paisley Ukadelic around with me -- it feels fragile.

One of the reasons I love the Dolphin is its durability and projection.

I haven't played many other ukes, except my 5 y.o. niece's tiny Lanikai Soprano.

The "kewt" factor is awesome on the Ukadelic, though, and my brother loves his.

I kinda like em. Many of them are not "My thang", but I am DIGGIN on the black/white checkerboard one. I have always loved black/white checks. When I was a teen, my room was "L" shaped, and two walls were Black and white check, and two walls were deep red. I loved that room.. (a 1970s thang I guess, lol)

I kinda like em. Many of them are not "My thang", but I am DIGGIN on the black/white checkerboard one. I have always loved black/white checks. When I was a teen, my room was "L" shaped, and two walls were Black and white check, and two walls were deep red. I loved that room.. (a 1970s thang I guess, lol)

One of the checked walls should have been green, and one of the red walls should have been yellow...just sayin'

Personally, I think they look rather tacky and cheezy. Not my thing at all. I like fine/exotic woods. These are basically just painted plywood, right?

But hey, whatever floats your boat. :p

They are tacky and cheesy, and I dont think are meant to replace loved ukes, but the cheesy niche uke to pull out for shock value for a specific song or two. The fun factor.. ;) That type isn't my thing either, but stuff like that is cool and fun to have in your arsenal. Basically the reason I bought my sopranino, because it was cute, smaller than most see. The first time I pulled it out was a hit, because I had it in a full size guitar hard case sitting next to my chair. I was playing my regular soprano for awhile, then said I was tired of playing that little thing and it was time for something more serious. Bent down, opened up that full size guitar case and pulled out that little sopranino and stated in on a tune. Everyone laughed almost to the end of the song. It was the shock value, an oddity, and fun.. These would fill that bill too..

My husband is a woodworker. I am surrounded by gorgeous wood costantly. Even our walls are all wood. Sometimes a girl needs some tacky cheezy color in her life. ^.~

I have loads of Dolphins and one Ukadelic (tie-dye). I love them all. The ukadelic is very similar in structure to the Dolphins they were making around 2012 (they shift their design slightly from time to time). Recently (sometime in 2017), however, they have changed the Ukadelics to match the design of the deplorable Watermans - I had a Waterman for a few months - hated it. Finally gave it away. Fine for strumming, but a lousy picker, and I like picking. So - I would not own another Ukadelic unless it was an older one with the composite side, arched back, laminate top, and rosewood fretboard. If you like the Watermans, though, go for it - you'll love the new Ukadelics!

I was a bit disappointed to see the ukadelic line move to all plastic, and I do have the older Stars and Stripes version which is basically a Dolphin. All that said, there is a new Concert sized shark with plastic body and wooden sound board.

The Waterman line (also with a Concert model) and ukadelic ukuleles are made to be all weather fun solutions; not a replacement for a wood Ukulele. I think they are also intended to be impulse buy items, something that can get you going before moving to a better instrument.

I do like Caramel for beginners, even though I'm not convinced that Zebrawood laminate has any great value as a tone wood; and I recently bought an Aklot AKC-23 Concert Ukulele that has blown me away in terms of quality, build, and value (including a solid wood top)...and you don't need to wait a month for it like Caramel. Those are $65 right now...right in the same price point as these Kala/Waterman ukuleles...and in the same price range as the Enya laminate (not HPL) Mahogany package (also Concert). So far, I am very impressed with Enya and Aklot and would quIcily recommend them, perhaps over Caramel. And yes, over a Waterman or Dolphin/Shark.

All that said, no hate towards Kala that has had a huge role in the resurgence of the ukulele and has continued to improve standards for its ukes (and thus all non-K Brand manufacturers) and continues to make some incredibly ukuleles at a very affordable price.

Last edited:
I have a friend's plastic with wood top Ukadelic. The bridge/saddle is a one-piece plastic molding. String height at the 12th fret is 4.7 mm. The uke is basically unplayable. One would have to replace the bridge/saddle to lower the strings. I don't understand Kala's thinking here for a beginner uke. Suggestions? Thank you. Rick

I have a friend's plastic with wood top Ukadelic. The bridge/saddle is a one-piece plastic molding. String height at the 12th fret is 4.7 mm. The uke is basically unplayable. One would have to replace the bridge/saddle to lower the strings. I don't understand Kala's thinking here for a beginner uke. Suggestions? Thank you. Rick

Since no one has answered, I’ll give you two suggestions.

1. Give, sell, donate, or turn into a wall hanger. Really, though, those things have probably scared so many people from the uke that I hate to think of another out there in the wild, functioning as a serial discourager, so much as I hate to add to the landfill, throwing it out is an option.

2. You have nothing to lose as it’s pretty much unplayable, so get a sandpaper block and work on that saddle from the top. If it doesn’t work, you’re no worse off than before. And it could work.

On the plus side, the wood top ones sound better than the all plastic ones, so you could end up with a decent beater.

I just noticed that sweetwater now has ukadelics now made out of poplar wood for $30.

The saddle should be removable, if it is like my wood top/plastic Ukadelic. More important is to pay attention to the nut...what's the action like at the 1st fret?

Top Bottom