Another way to WIN a FREE Eleuke

eleukeusa

Reaction score
So after reading everyone's comments (and thank you all again for pointing out the legality of things) I'm editing this post for legal reasons. Originally, we made the claim that we'd give away a free uke every so often to those that purchased a shirt... turns out we stepped in a legal loophole and twisted our ankle. So, sorry for the misleading title (which I can't figure out how to edit), but here's my cleaned and legal post.

So we've been devising ways to spread the electric vibe and we've come up with a great one. We're selling Tshirts on our Facebook page. What does that have to do with free eleukes you ask? Well nothing really... because of certain legal reasons, we're not claiming to give anything away. We're just selling shirts. You can find them on our facebook page or on ebay.

And because my coworkers like to see what happens when my head explodes, they want me to do a new design each month... so, we'll see how that goes...

So head on over to Facebook.com/eleuke and click the "shop now" to get a shirt or head over to ebay. and grab one there if you're an anti-establishment type. If you don't like this shirt, they'll be more.

Last edited:
So head on over to Facebook.com/eleuke and click the "shop now" to get a shirt (or seven) and a chance to win cool stuff. If you don't like this shirt, they'll be more.

So, what about those of us who don't use, or want to use, Facebook? Does that mean that we can't buy Eleuke shirts?

Seriously, I've never used Facebook, Myspace, LiveJournal, or any of the social networking things - I don't tweet, twitter, or even text. Using a site like UU is the closest I get to any of that. yes, I know it brands me as a luddite, but what the heck - I've had an acoustic/electric guitar since 1991, and just got an amplifier this past year - I've only used it twice, and still haven't plugged my Archtop electric/acoustic in, OR my new Fluke a/e. I just don't want to rush into things - Finally got rid of my MS-DOS 5.0 machine, because I can't replace the monitor...

Should I be yelling at kids to stay off of my lawn?

-Kurt

So, what about those of us who don't use, or want to use, Facebook? Does that mean that we can't buy Eleuke shirts?

Seriously, I've never used Facebook, Myspace, LiveJournal, or any of the social networking things - I don't tweet, twitter, or even text. Using a site like UU is the closest I get to any of that. yes, I know it brands me as a luddite, but what the heck - I've had an acoustic/electric guitar since 1991, and just got an amplifier this past year - I've only used it twice, and still haven't plugged my Archtop electric/acoustic in, OR my new Fluke a/e. I just don't want to rush into things - Finally got rid of my MS-DOS 5.0 machine, because I can't replace the monitor...

Should I be yelling at kids to stay off of my lawn?

-Kurt

Well, I don't use Facebook either, and I clicked on the link out of curiosity. It's one of those rare Facebook pages that are viewable by the general public. As far as I can tell, all the necessary T-shirt-ordering information is provided on the page, even for those of us who shun the Mighty Facebook.

Thanks, Kem. I usually don't click on anything that says "Facebook", so I will follow your lead and go looking.

-Kurt

yes, I know it brands me as a luddite, but what the heck

We luddites need to stick together...don't need no steenking spacebook! (And yes, yell at the kids to stay off your lawn. Somebody needs to teach the little buggers some manners. Remember when we were kids and our own parents taught us manners?)

:biglaugh:

John

Is that legal?

I don't know why it wouldn't be. My bank has a "use your debit card for everything...once a day we randomly choose a charge to pay off from some user" policy.

While I personally don't think this kind of marketing is necessarily good business I think governments should mind their own danged business and not worry about whether a business wants to randomly give stuff away, sell T-shirts, etc.

John

I think the question of "is it legal" falls into the realm of the difference between a "giveaway" and a "lottery". In other words, if you have to buy something to win, it's a lottery. This is why most contests you see will have "no purchase necessary" clauses.

See http://mikeschinkel.com/blog/nopurchaserequireditsthelaw/ for an explanation of what I mean.

I plan on buying a shirt anyway (why don't you have XXXL for us fatties who like loose-fitting shirts?)

Well, I don't use Facebook either, and I clicked on the link out of curiosity. It's one of those rare Facebook pages that are viewable by the general public. As far as I can tell, all the necessary T-shirt-ordering information is provided on the page, even for those of us who shun the Mighty Facebook.

I'm not on facebook. Went to the link and tried to buy a shirt. It said I had to be "logged in" to continue. So I guess if you are not a member of facebook you are out of luck.

I'm not on facebook. Went to the link and tried to buy a shirt. It said I had to be "logged in" to continue. So I guess if you are not a member of facebook you are out of luck.

*Shakes fist of stubborn non-conformity at Facebook*

Massive Edit

Well, thanks for looking out on this issue.... I'm editing the store page, this post and my mind to eliminate the "lottery" deal. Also, we'll be putting up a non-facebook (probably ebay) place to buy shirts.

So, what about those of us who don't use, or want to use, Facebook? Does that mean that we can't buy Eleuke shirts?...Should I be yelling at kids to stay off of my lawn?
Well, I don't use Facebook either...those of us who shun the Mighty Facebook.
Thanks, Kem. I usually don't click on anything that says "Facebook"...
We luddites need to stick together...don't need no steenking spacebook!
*Shakes fist of stubborn non-conformity at Facebook*
Fear not, Non-FaceBookers, you have spoken and we have listened. Check out the listing of the same shirt (with larger sizes) on ebay. and I will note that a FB only dealio is no bueno from now on. Also, you don't have to yell at the kids to get off your lawn if you have access to automatic sprinklers.
Is that legal?
Turns out its not. Sorry about that. Please see the edited post.
I think the question of "is it legal" falls into the realm of the difference between a "giveaway" and a "lottery". In other words, if you have to buy something to win, it's a lottery. This is why most contests you see will have "no purchase necessary" clauses.

See http://mikeschinkel.com/blog/nopurchaserequireditsthelaw/ for an explanation of what I mean.

I plan on buying a shirt anyway (why don't you have XXXL for us fatties who like loose-fitting shirts?)
This was an extremely helpful link. Thanks for posting it. Really we are just trying to figure out ways to do cool stuff for people, not break the law... so thanks for the warning. Anywho, catch you all later!

Top Bottom