PDA

View Full Version : Barre chord chart?

Projectbronco
04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I have been trying to find a chord chart that shows what positions correspond to what chord they are for movable forms. Like if I bar the second fret and place my pinky on A in the 5th fret, that is D. If I move that down to the fourth fret it is E. But I have no idea what the other positions are.

Likewise, if I play a Bb with 1123 (is that how you write it?) if I move it down to the the second fret it is just a plain B. But I have no idea what the rest of the frets in that position are. Or, for that matter, what the other movable forms are. I'm pretty sure you can use any form as movable chord form, but am not sure. Or for that matter, wouldn't know what chord I am playing.

Is there a chart, or charts, that can show me some of the forms and what chord/fret they correspond to?

Thank you in advance!

jlester2200
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
there was a uuu102 lesson on this exact theme. one week for major chords, and another for minor chords.

SailingUke
04-01-2011, 02:21 PM
two tips:
1.) Buy a copy of Sokolow/Beloffs Fretboard Roadmap, it will give you all the chords and some practice exercises.
2.) Take the open/first position chords you know and find the root note. (ie the root of a C chord is C.)
as you move the shape up the fret board the root note will give you the chord name.

Projectbronco
04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
there was a uuu102 lesson on this exact theme. one week for major chords, and another for minor chords.

Thanks, the videos were helpful and segwayed into other videos (17, 25, and 27) that were also helpful.

two tips:
1.) Buy a copy of Sokolow/Beloffs Fretboard Roadmap, it will give you all the chords and some practice exercises.
2.) Take the open/first position chords you know and find the root note. (ie the root of a C chord is C.)
as you move the shape up the fret board the root note will give you the chord name.

Thank you, I looked it up and it seems like a useful tool. I think I may, for now, print off something that has all the roots and notes on the fretboard. #2 was especially helpful.

I would still very much like to find a chart that shows what each movable/barre form and chord and use is as a cheat sheet, but I may just have to make my own. :D

OldePhart
04-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Go here (http://www.praiseuke.com/blog/?page_id=10), then select the charts marked "M" and "Box" - the latter, especially, you may find useful because it teaches you to think of playing in a key.

Neither specifically shows the chord at every fret, but that would be cluttered and difficult to follow anyway. What the charts do is show you where the root note is so, once you've learned your fretboard, it's a piece of cake.

The big deal is that "box" chart, though. With it you can fake almost any song in almost any key and do it on the first few frets where you typically get the most full sound. Also, it teaches you not to think of "I'm playing an A, I'm playing an E" and so on but instead concentrate on how the chords relate to each other so you can change keys without even thinking about it. I.e., song too low for you to sing, no problem, slide your entire pattern up a fret or two.

John

Projectbronco
04-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks OldePhart, that is perfect! That sight also talks about C2 chords which I was having problems finding. Great resource. I'll print off those charts as well as a fretboard diagram. Thanks again!

uke5417
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I've used this for years: http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1four5/music-theory/ukulele-chord-forms/ukulele-chord-forms.html

Projectbronco
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Very cool, thanks uke5417!

Gmoney
04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Another take on this was posted today on Ukulele Hunt:

http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/04/06/barre-chords-and-inversions/