PDA

View Full Version : Time for a NEW Tenor Uke what would you buy (under $400)

amute
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
So after sometime of being an unhappy Bushman "Lemon" Ukulele owner I've saved enough cash to buy a Uke that I'm okay with folks seeing me play.

I have about $400 and want a solid wood, most likely Mahogany Tenor Uke. I'm also hoping to have a Mi-Si pick-up system installed in it but will wait on that if needed.

SO my question is what would YOU buy and from who??
Links and photos welcome.

Thanks my friends!

OldePhart
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Mainland. Hands down. I have two tenors, one with a MiSi. A mahogany Mainland tenor with a MiSi will run right around your price point. http://www.mainlandukuleles.com.

John

amute
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Ha! Good call bro, in fact I'm awaiting a reply or call from Mike right now. Thank you! X)

haole
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I saw in an older post that you had an issue with the setup and playability of the Bushman, and you had a bad experience with the company, but you liked the uke otherwise. So I'd have to second the Mainland recommendation. It'll be very similar to your old Bushman, but Mainland has much more reliable customer service and no ridiculous waiting times. Mike can install a Mi-Si for you too!

amute
04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes I like my Bushman now (after a lot of repairs) I just don't want to be seen playing a Bushman, I don't respect or recommened them to anyone...
I have heard a LOT of good things about Mainland and in fact it looks as though Mike has a Uke in mind for already. I'm having the mi-si added to it too so it's a plus they can do that. So far it looks like no doubt Mainland is the way I'll go. A friend did mention a Mahogany Pono on e-bay but....after My John Hall "Bs artist" experience I think I'll stay with a trusted and RESPECTED name. Thanx y'all for the replies. Now I just need to make contact with Mike.

OldePhart
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
When you contact Mike let him know what kind of setup you prefer. One of my tenors was purchased from another UU member and the action on it was good (still a touch lower than my KoAloha, in fact), but a little higher than the one I ordered from Mike directly because I let him know I like low actions. I.e. if you let him know he can set the action at the bridge saddle to suit your personal tastes while he's installing the MiSi.

John

amute
04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
When you contact Mike let him know what kind of setup you prefer. One of my tenors was purchased from another UU member and the action on it was good (still a touch lower than my KoAloha, in fact), but a little higher than the one I ordered from Mike directly because I let him know I like low actions. I.e. if you let him know he can set the action at the bridge saddle to suit your personal tastes while he's installing the MiSi.

John

Good call bro, that's rad he'll do that. My last Uke came almost unplayble past the seventh fret....

TCK
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Mainland Mainland Mainlad....
Oh, did someone already say that?

cb56
04-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I guess I'm late to the thread but I was going to suggest Mainland. (hint, check out the red cedar model)

mangorockfish
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Mainland mahogany tenor w/MiSi. Mainlands RULE!!!

amute
04-02-2011, 01:42 PM
:) Thanks guys. I'm an extremely indecisive person with this kind of stuff so y'all helped make this easy. -Cheers!

Uncle Leroy
04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I echoe what other folks here have said. You can't go wrong with the Mainland. Mike has an excellent rep and product.

amute
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I echoe what other folks here have said. You can't go wrong with the Mainland. Mike has an excellent rep and product.

That's positive & just what I want to hear bro, my first Uke was a Bushman and........man things could have went smoother.
Thanx for the confidence builder comment sir.

Lexxy
04-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I lost track of the score.
I'm guessing it's:
Mainland 1 - Everything else 0 ???
Another point for Mainland here :P

amute
04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Okay okay lol now just out of a sporting chance that there was no Mainland (let's play pretend) what other options would a person have? Anyone?
So I guess I'm asking for a 2nd place recommendation. No question Mainland does take the cake of course. :)

Lexxy
04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Invalid question, mainland will never fall!! Hahahaha jokes. :P
Uh..For me, i'd say. (Oh man i've been on this page for about 10 minutes. Hard to think of one)

Probably a Koa Pili Koko. (They sound really clean and clear)

pdxuke
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I really really like my Ohana TK35. Also, I LOVE the look of the Hamano tenor but have not played them.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/H100T.htm

PhilUSAFRet
04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
If you wonder how Mainland does, considering it's price point, see this "smackdown" between a Mainland and a Collings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_78z2DINg&NR=1

Paul December
04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Not mahogany...
...but great sounding ==> Kala Acacia Tenor with slotted headstock :)
Really worth a listen.

cb56
04-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, a Kala solid acacia tenor (if you could find one) or an all solid mahogany Ohana TK35.

amute
04-02-2011, 03:22 PM
If you wonder how Mainland does, considering it's price point, see this "smackdown" between a Mainland and a Collings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_78z2DINg&NR=1

Ha! thank you cool video. Thanx also guys for keeping the options coming. That Kala is nice too, kindda set on Mahogany though.

70sSanO
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure if they are available yet, but I'd at least look into a Sailor Brand tenor from Uke Republic. It has a spruce top and it is made in USA, presumably by LoPrinzi but not confirmed. It is less than $400 and it sounds very nice.

Gmoney has a soprano, and he can probably give you an idea how he likes it.

It is a new ukulele line so there is really no following yet but here is a sample...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9gqLcEAqEE

John

Lori
04-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I would strongly consider the Ohana TK-35G, along with the Mainland. I don't have a tenor Mainland, but I really like my concert and soprano. I have a 5 string Ohana TK-35G-5 (has hi/low G string course) and I am just crazy about it. I can see why the TK-35G is one of their best sellers. It sounds like it should cost twice as much... maybe even more than that.

–Lori

amute
04-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Mainland mahogany tenor w/MiSi. Mainlands RULE!!!

:) Mike from Mainland called this morning (Sunday) and i placed my order for a slotted head stock tenor all Mahogany w/ MiSi. I'm stoked and Mike was rad for calling on the weekend and being so frendly to a stranger. NOW the waiting game begins.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR POSTING! -Cheers

Pippin
04-03-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd look for a TK-75CG Ohana uke. Great performance, great price.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/ohana-tk-75cg-tenor-cutaway-ukulele--TK75G.htm

mandrew
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
For the sake of variety, I would say the Mainland or an Ohana. They are both very similar.

mangorockfish
04-03-2011, 02:42 PM
:) Mike from Mainland called this morning (Sunday) and i placed my order for a slotted head stock tenor all Mahogany w/ MiSi. I'm stoked and Mike was rad for calling on the weekend and being so frendly to a stranger. NOW the waiting game begins.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR POSTING! -Cheers

I'm probably the biggest Mainland cheerleader on here. You cannot beat Mainland Mike or UkeRepublic Mike. They're the best. The only thing that beats a Mainland mahogany tenor in my book is a Mainland mahogany concert, but I'm a concert kinda guy. You have made a very wise decission Grasshoppa. Now go and join the Mainland group and post pics when your axe arrives. Oh, congratulations.

amute
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm probably the biggest Mainland cheerleader on here. You cannot beat Mainland Mike or UkeRepublic Mike. They're the best. The only thing that beats a Mainland mahogany tenor in my book is a Mainland mahogany concert, but I'm a concert kinda guy. You have made a very wise decission Grasshoppa. Now go and join the Mainland group and post pics when your axe arrives. Oh, congratulations.

:) Thank you man, I'll post photos for sure just as soon as it arrives. -Cheers! p.s. Already looking out the window for the delivery guy.... LOL

ukerider
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I went ahead and got myself an Ohana TK-35G. It's all solid mahogany and it sounds amazing for $250. If you do decide with this instrument get the clear worth strings and this thing will really come alive and get some hair on your chest.

Pippin
04-04-2011, 01:19 AM
I went ahead and got myself an Ohana TK-35G. It's all solid mahogany and it sounds amazing for $250. If you do decide with this instrument get the clear worth strings and this thing will really come alive and get some hair on your chest.

Another fine choice. I hope it meets your every expectation.

ichadwick
04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Mainland, red cedar. Loud, sweet sound, great resonance and sustain.