Time for a NEW Tenor Uke what would you buy (under $400)

amute

Reaction score
So after sometime of being an unhappy Bushman "Lemon" Ukulele owner I've saved enough cash to buy a Uke that I'm okay with folks seeing me play.

I have about $400 and want a solid wood, most likely Mahogany Tenor Uke. I'm also hoping to have a Mi-Si pick-up system installed in it but will wait on that if needed.

SO my question is what would YOU buy and from who??
Links and photos welcome.

Thanks my friends!

Mainland. Hands down. I have two tenors, one with a MiSi. A mahogany Mainland tenor with a MiSi will run right around your price point. http://www.mainlandukuleles.com.

John

Ha! Good call bro, in fact I'm awaiting a reply or call from Mike right now. Thank you! X)

I saw in an older post that you had an issue with the setup and playability of the Bushman, and you had a bad experience with the company, but you liked the uke otherwise. So I'd have to second the Mainland recommendation. It'll be very similar to your old Bushman, but Mainland has much more reliable customer service and no ridiculous waiting times. Mike can install a Mi-Si for you too!

Yes I like my Bushman now (after a lot of repairs) I just don't want to be seen playing a Bushman, I don't respect or recommened them to anyone...
I have heard a LOT of good things about Mainland and in fact it looks as though Mike has a Uke in mind for already. I'm having the mi-si added to it too so it's a plus they can do that. So far it looks like no doubt Mainland is the way I'll go. A friend did mention a Mahogany Pono on e-bay but....after My John Hall "Bs artist" experience I think I'll stay with a trusted and RESPECTED name. Thanx y'all for the replies. Now I just need to make contact with Mike.

When you contact Mike let him know what kind of setup you prefer. One of my tenors was purchased from another UU member and the action on it was good (still a touch lower than my KoAloha, in fact), but a little higher than the one I ordered from Mike directly because I let him know I like low actions. I.e. if you let him know he can set the action at the bridge saddle to suit your personal tastes while he's installing the MiSi.

John

When you contact Mike let him know what kind of setup you prefer. One of my tenors was purchased from another UU member and the action on it was good (still a touch lower than my KoAloha, in fact), but a little higher than the one I ordered from Mike directly because I let him know I like low actions. I.e. if you let him know he can set the action at the bridge saddle to suit your personal tastes while he's installing the MiSi.

John

Good call bro, that's rad he'll do that. My last Uke came almost unplayble past the seventh fret....

I guess I'm late to the thread but I was going to suggest Mainland. (hint, check out the red cedar model)

:) Thanks guys. I'm an extremely indecisive person with this kind of stuff so y'all helped make this easy. -Cheers!

I echoe what other folks here have said. You can't go wrong with the Mainland. Mike has an excellent rep and product.

I echoe what other folks here have said. You can't go wrong with the Mainland. Mike has an excellent rep and product.

That's positive & just what I want to hear bro, my first Uke was a Bushman and........man things could have went smoother.
Thanx for the confidence builder comment sir.

Okay okay lol now just out of a sporting chance that there was no Mainland (let's play pretend) what other options would a person have? Anyone?
So I guess I'm asking for a 2nd place recommendation. No question Mainland does take the cake of course. :)

Invalid question, mainland will never fall!! Hahahaha jokes. :p
Uh..For me, i'd say. (Oh man i've been on this page for about 10 minutes. Hard to think of one)

Probably a Koa Pili Koko. (They sound really clean and clear)

Not mahogany...
...but great sounding ==> Kala Acacia Tenor with slotted headstock :)
Really worth a listen.

Yeah, a Kala solid acacia tenor (if you could find one) or an all solid mahogany Ohana TK35.

Top Bottom