3 days in DC

kalmario

Reaction score
hi all

will be in DC for 4 days in mid may due to a good mate getting married.

any recommendations to sightseeing or things to do in washington on such a short trip

(any good uke shops to accidently walk past?)
cheers in advance

Cliff

The best non-uke sightseeing is probably a walk along the Capital Mall (which runs from Congress to the Lincoln Memorial). The sides of the Mall are lined with various Smithsonian Museums (the most popular is probably the Air and Space Museum, followed by the Museum of Natural History) as well as the National Portrait Gallery and the Holocaust Museum. The Washington Monument and the Vietnam, Korea and World War II Memorials are on the Mall itself. If the cherry blossoms are out, take a walk along the lagoon next to the Jefferson Memorial. Georgetown and Dupont Circle are not right near downtown (or each other), but they both have great shops and restaurants. I don't know of any ukulele shops in D.C., but a Google search ought to find any that are there.

You can spend at least three days just in the Smithsonian. I don't know about the Holocaust Museum, but all those places mentioned above are free admission.

I'll also add the National Archives to the above list. I'm an ex-pat Brit, but seeing the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and thinking of how the Framers embraced the Enlightenment ideals and shunned the pressures of the clergy to write the most liberal, secular document in history brought a tear to my eye.

cheers for the replys
definately keen to check a few museums out.
also tempted to order a uke to turn up at the hotel (freight is a killer from usa to nz)

but will depend upon the other halves dispostion at the time.

Cheers

Cliff

Top Bottom