Cole Clark

Flyke

Reaction score
So, I had a strum of a Cole Clark Ukelady a couple weeks ago and can't get it outta my head. I'm mad keen to get one.

But before I spend my hard earned coin... I just wanted to know if anyone's had any experience with the Cole Clark ukes. Played 'em? Liked 'em? Build quality? Sound?

Anyone?

I agree that the pickup system is great. I honestly thought that the acoustic sound was a little on the quiet side.

Heyya Flyke,
My only experience has been hearing a Cole Clark soprano - so i'm not sure about the ukulady (which is a concert if i am not mistaken).
You can tell it was a top build, and the pickup is what everyone else has said - flawless.
I did find the acoustic sounds to be rather disappointing actually. It was really quiet, muffled. The kind of sound you get when the wood is just that little bit too thick - like some Oscar Schmidt models.
However, if your buying it and plan on playing it regularly through the pickup, I can think of no better uke for that :)
Just my 2 cents,
Monty

i have tried it several times in store. In my view, while they look good and are solidly put together, definitely not worth the money!! All other factors aside, they are very expensive ukes, in the thousands of dollars i recall. For a price like that, you can get a great hawaiian uke with an even better pickup. Acoustically, these cole clarks are quieter than some cheapo $30 ukes. It is clearly overbuilt - the top is WAY too thick, as thick as a steel stringed acoustic guitar. They probably make great guitars (which are their primary products), but ukes should not be built like guitars. This is a flaw in ukulele building craftsmanship, and not one you should pay over a thousand dollars for. There are way better ukes for your hard earned coin at even fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info peoples.

Kissing, They're not in the $$$thousands. You can find them on the 'net for around $550 in Australia. (Our dollar is about the same as $US currently)

And Monty, I think the one you played was probably the Ukelady. It's a concert scale but has a really small body. Somewhat like a concert-neck soprano.

So, I'll definitely have to have another strum before I buy one. I shall check out the volume/overbuild issue. Thanks for the tip guys. To be honest though, about 80% of the time I pick up the uke it's after my kids have gone to bed, so quietness can be an advantage at times!

Oh and one more question. Could it actually be the overbuilt-guitar-style construction that gives it the warm tone that I love so much, or does it just make it quieter?

g'day Flyke

Exceptional build quality. They are one of the most highly regarded acoustic instrument builders in Australia. Their guitars are played and endorsed by many big name artists worldwide. Jack Johnson is the first that comes to mind. Unbelievably smooth players, perfect intonation and lovely low actions. My "Ukelady" was $850 a couple of years back. They are quiet and projection is not massive but Oh how sweet is the sound. In any case, those models were really built to be amplified. The pickups they use in the ukeladies are the best around I reckon. The blackwood is a lovely mellow tone wood close in character to koa.

I played a tenor at the Ottawa Folk Centre about 2 years ago. Nice instrument but at $1,100 it was pricier than I felt I could justify.

Thanks Eugene, It's nice to get the inside word from a previous owner.

I think I understand the price confusion now. The Cole Clark "Jack" Tenor is over a thousand, it sure looks pretty, but not in my price range. The one I'm looking at is they're most basic model "Ukelady" which, without the electronics is a lot cheaper.

I'll definitely keep all your comments in mind when I head back to check it out again.

Thanks all

Mikey

Top Bottom