i dont know if i can sing please help o please

aperson

Reaction score
so one day i was playing my uke and a lady cam up to me and said i played and sang great. but when i sing in front of my friends they just complain one friend said i wasent that bad but who knows she could of lied. my dad says how do you know if you can sing if you dont try but i do i record myself and i sound really bad.i really just want to know if i suck i know it would hurt to hear it but i need to know. why would a random lady come up to me and tell me i sounded great if i didnt sound good?

Last edited:
You, most probably can sing. But you need to find the range of your voice and stay in it. I can't go to high when I sing. When I do my voice gets to crackly and whiney sounding. So you have to find which keys you need to sing certain songs in. The melody line of a song can make the key you should use different on different songs. G is a pretty good key for me. But sometimes the melody line makes A better. I also do some songs in B and some songs in D. So this will take you time to figure out.
Also singing is just like learning to play the Uke, or guitar. It takes practice. singing into a mic and speakers lets you hear yourself which helps a lot. Also recording yourself and listening back helps a lot too. Also develope your singing voice. Pick a sound for your voice and stay with it. John mayer said he played around singing different ways, (trying to sound like different singers he liked) He found one he liked how his voice sounded good doing. It sounded different enough from the person he was singing like because of it being him try to sound like the other person that it became his sound. I am very insecure about my voice, but after about 6 years of singing all the time I'm a much better singer now then I was before. But you have to do the right song in the right key. And there will be some songs you can't sing no matter what key they are in. Learn the range your voice sounds good in AND STAY THERE.
Remember your voice is a instrument. Practice. If you can afford voice lessons, get some. I haven't so that's not a must. I might look for some free ones on line though. I'm not a great singer, but now I don't think I'm a bad one. I put a lot of emotion in my singing and that's what people say they like about my voice.
And don't sing songs you can't sing. No matter how much you like them. I hear someone sing a song that's just right for their voice and they sound great. Then I hear them sing another song and it sound terrable.
You're not tone def, because you can listen to a recording of your voice and hear to know when you don't like it. Now learn to sing so that you do like what you hear.
So the awnser is yes you can sing. Practice and get better.
Blair

Last edited:
Another cause of sounding different on your recording is that your mic might suck. (No offense.) Before I had the funds to set up my studio, I sounded horrible on recordings. There's a certain clarity you get from real microphones. IF you were to get access to a high-end microphone, though, you would still sound different because the vibrations in your bones and skull cause the voice that you hear. A recording allows you to hear what others hear. I had to get used to this somehow, so I started recording myself talking. I would just say whatever was on my mind for hours. Sometimes 4-5 at a time! Then, I went back and listened to these recordings. I did that for a few months, and now, I imagine what I ACTUALLY sound like instead of hearing what I would normally hear. That lets me manipulate my voice so that I can "fix" my voice to sound how I want it. Most people probably don't have the attention span for that, but I'm bipolar, so don't judge.

I'm also a violinist, (among other things) which has the same basic principle since the instrument rests against your collarbone. Something I learned from that is that if you can achieve a real vibrato vocally, it REALLY helps your tone. The best example I can give of how to utilize vibrato is to put two fingers on the same hand onto your throat, sing a note, and try to make the lump you feel in your throat move up and down. It kind of contracts. Sorry I can't explain this better, I'm self-taught, so I don't know the fancy terms that real singers use.

As for what Brock said about picking a certain sound, I don't necessarily agree with that because I can't do it. My sound is probably most influenced by Patrick Stump (DON'T JUDGE ME!!! :D ) but if I'm singing, say a jazz song, I need a jazz voice, not an R&B, Punk voice, a jazz voice. I change my voice depending on the mood I'm in and the song I sing. (If that's weird, sorry. Once again, bipolar.) Just play around with it and find out who you are artistically and vocally.

Sorry if this came off as a bit too harsh, I was trying to help, but I have a way of insulting people without meaning to...

I've been trying to improve my singing lately.... I've figured out two things that have helped my immensely.

1- Breathe - take a nice deep, breath and sing with some force. And sing the phrases so you can breath often. It's much easier to make a nice sound with your voice if there's some substantial pressure behind it. Push from your diaphragm - I find I can keep a note steadier and stay on key better if I sing a little louder and remember not to let myself run out of breath.

2- be comfortable with what you're singing. I have a hard time singing songs I don't know as well, if I'm unsure at all of the lyrics or melody. It's even worse if I'm trying to sing and play. If your worried about how you sound, make sure you've practiced the singing and the playing separately till you've got them each down cold. Once you can do them both well, then try to put them together.

I find it counter-productive to practice things incorrectly.... don't force it till you're comfortable. Slow the song down, break it down into component parts and don't speed it up or start putting things together till you're really comfortable with it.

I was nervous about posting stuff on youtube, just started doing it recently. Then I realized everyone does it and it's no big deal. It's a great way to get tips from people that are better than you. And it's fun! Like the others said, everyone can sing - the trick is finding your voice and what you do best.

Last edited:
I've done a couple youtube videos with me singing and believe me my singing voice is the worst. But I've heard other people do it that weren't all that great either. So why not me? If someone laughs at me and calls me lame. who really cares? Pick an easy song and memorize it. Practice it for a few days then go for it. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

so one day i was playing my uke and a lady cam up to me and said i played and sang great. but when i sing in front of my friends they just complain one friend said i wasent that bad but who knows she could of lied. my dad says how do you know if you can sing if you dont try but i do i record myself and i sound really bad.i really just want to know if i suck i know it would hurt to hear it but i need to know. why would a random lady come up to me and tell me i sounded great if i didnt sound good?

I find that people often don't realise that anyone can sing, if you can stay in tune. If the old lady said you sing well I imagine you can hold a note and even move between notes without going out of tune.

If you've mastered those basics, then its just about finding your voice and style. Try singing a few different styles and recording them, and try singing in different tone voices as well. I personally think I sound much better at my lower range end than up higher... and after that better with certain styles than others. People often sound worse if they are trying too hard and are self concious about it, so many in front of your friends you are a little of both?

Try to relax, and record yourself singing a few different styles. Remember, you will always been your harshest critic.

Top Bottom