13 the musical only problem i think i suck at singing

aperson

Reaction score
i want to try out for 13 the musical . i love that show its grat i just wish i could sing. it makes me sad when i see people who can sing because i want it sooo bad. i record myself sometimes but i think i sound weird. only one person has ever said i sang great. the last time i sang was when i got the solo in 5th grade.

i want to try out for 13 the musical . i love that show its grat i just wish i could sing. it makes me sad when i see people who can sing because i want it sooo bad. i record myself sometimes but i think i sound weird. only one person has ever said i sang great. the last time i sang was when i got the solo in 5th grade.

Hey aperson :)
I used to teach singing. A lot of folks think they're 'bad' singers. Most folks just haven't developed their singing voice as if they were learning to play an instrument. We wouldn't pick up a uke, or a saxophone or a violin and expect that we could automatically play it and play it well. Same with the voice - it is an instrument, and learning to play the instrument takes time, constructive input eg by a teacher, and as has been said ... practice. A select few have a natural gift with their singing skill - the tone, the pitch etc. The good news is that in my experience only a very tiny number of folks have physical reasons why singing isn't going to go well for them. The vast majority of people through training and practice can in time improve their voice hugely. Seriously, I know this from my own voice and the process it has taken over the years. If you really really want to sing, get advice on how to go about it, and immerse yourself. I drive lots of miles every week, and most of my journeys are spent singing - my voice improves, and I arrive at my destination in a very happy state of mind. Singing is one of the best things in life - go for it I say!

What YogoJen said!

Also, have you noticed that no one would think it's an insult to suggest to a trumpet player that private lessons will improve their skill... but if you say that to an aspiring singer, its somehow a huge insult to them? As if professionals at the highest levels don't have multiple coaches?

My favorite voice teacher said the same thing Jen is saying. She could teach just about anyone to sing better, and for most of us it's markedly better. But yes there will be people who find their limit before others, and some who have found their true instrument in the voice.

What I wish I could do is to "sing casual" with more chest voice. I was brought up with Italian and some English rep. I'm a dime-a-dozen soprano, and so my voice doesn't know what to do with the low notes. Seriously there are some areas where I become like a teenage boy with a warbling voice and I just can't control it. I'd like to think it can be solved as a voice placement issue, maybe the strength of the air pushing the note out.. what I don't want to be true is that my voice has gotten older and is simply set in its ways now. And yes, the problem gets worse as the day progresses and the vocal chords get tighter.

Aperson, have you tried finding a chorus to join, maybe at a school, or a church, or wherever? How I started out was to join Chorus I my senior year of HS, just because I had the free time. The director approached me about taking lessons, and that was when I discovered the joy of the instrument that you always have with you. Sure there's always someone who started really early (too early?), but it's never too late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom