So, how horrible are Mahalo's?

SinisterDom

Reaction score
I am wondering because I haven't heard anything about them. I was thinking of buying one to maybe paint/carve/be stupid with. :D

Not as awful as you might think. Check out this link
http://ukenoob.blogspot.com/2007/12/mahalo-u30-improving-intonation.html
I have one because that is all the local music stores carry. I changed the strings, and reversed the saddle. I was going to try the needle file to lower the action but the Kala spruce top tenor I got from MGM showed before I got around to buying a needle file. It's playable but the strings are kind of up there. It's sound is nowhere near as good as the Kala though.

The nice thing about it is that I have a uke that I can hand to my 8 year old and just not worry about. It would also be good for tossing in the trunk so you always have a uke with you. If it gets lost stolen or broken....Oh well.

For the money they are pretty good ukes and if you are willing to do a little bit of work on them they are even better. I started with a mahalo and later adjusted the action by sanding a bit from the bottom of the saddle and deepened the nut slots with a needle file which made it play much nicer and really sorted the intonation out. If you string them with aquilas too you could believe you were playing a more expensive instrument.

Nowt wrong with mahalos and for a beginner instrument they're great!

great learner ukes if you just wanna get your feet wet till you can afford the real deal! =)

I've got 3 beater ukes lying around the house and 1 in the trunk. I've sat on 1 by accident, has a big crack, but still playable! gotta love that! lol

as the others posted too, I've tried filing and removing the saddle, etc... cuz you can afford to! =)

If you have fun playing it, there's nothing wrong with it.

i think one of those would be a good candidate for that -- if you blow it, you're out cheap -- and with a little effort you'll likely get a good knock-around player that catches people's eye -- as long as it makes YOU happy, have some fun with it!

I was playin with one lastnight and it sounded almost the same as my Johnson not quite as good but I'm sure with better strings it would sound close to the same.
I almost got a purlpe one but went with the Kala instead.

Mahalo's are great starter ukes. I started with one myself, and I still play it occasionally. It's the uke I grab when going to the beach or camping :D

Not as awful as you might think. Check out this link
http://ukenoob.blogspot.com/2007/12/mahalo-u30-improving-intonation.html
I have one because that is all the local music stores carry. I changed the strings, and reversed the saddle. I was going to try the needle file to lower the action but the Kala spruce top tenor I got from MGM showed before I got around to buying a needle file. It's playable but the strings are kind of up there. It's sound is nowhere near as good as the Kala though.

The nice thing about it is that I have a uke that I can hand to my 8 year old and just not worry about. It would also be good for tossing in the trunk so you always have a uke with you. If it gets lost stolen or broken....Oh well.

Hmm I already own needle files. And I was thinking about lowering the action on my Applause tenor. (Retail for 350ish) Do any of you personally have experience doing this on a more expensive instrument, and is it advisable.?

Hmm I already own needle files. And I was thinking about lowering the action on my Applause tenor. (Retail for 350ish) Do any of you personally have experience doing this on a more expensive instrument, and is it advisable.?

I wouldn't file the nut's slots with a needle file at first. I'd take the saddle off first and sand the bottom of it.

Check this thread for more info.

i was playing on one for a good 1 year.
Got it signed by Jake. and now framed.
lol

Its an awesome uke to start off.
i loved it.

:)
:nana:

Nice. I got my Kanilea tenor signed by him. But I still play on it daily. I got it signed on the back near the neck where I don't usually touch it, and I got it signed in an Industrial Strength sharpie which is resistant to extreme heat steam baths and chemicals. That sharpie retails for like 12 dollars...so I really hope it stays. :)

As for the taking out of the saddle, Unfortunately, the applause doesn't quite have a normal bridge. There are some pictures on this thread. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48483&postcount=4 I have no idea how that saddle would come out. And I have found that the wound C string on mine is "digging-into" the saddle. Does that mean I should replace the strings ASAP? I've been looking to put Aquilas on this one anyway.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Top Bottom