Gibson Style 3 Pointsetter with extra flower on side and headstock

Wow.. I'm gonna be watching that one.. Hopefully snag it.. Thanks Stan Brudda....

Aloha Mike,
You're right it is the same one, If you you look at the top lower bout, it has the same dark wood pattern...good eyes!!!! I wonder what the reserve really is...would be crazy not
to put one on this..and I agree Tudorp, he should have offered to us here first and give us first dibbs...

Hi Guys... Its the same one... I didnt know if I was allowed to post sales here or not.. What should I do?

Nothin to do now is play the auction out. We'll watch it, and maybe get involved... Just kind of shocked ya put it up for auction. Was under the impresion it wasn't for sale. But no worries, it's yours to keep or sell.. Good luck with the auction. Gonna be interesting to see how it sells..

Thanks.... I wasnt going to sell, Its a cool piece.. but I have other things that need attending to first.. :)..

Hi Guys... Its the same one... I didnt know if I was allowed to post sales here or not.. What should I do?

There's a UU Marketplace forum - there's a thread that tells you how to post. One requirement is to post at least one photo w/you UU member name & date, to show that you really own the uke for sale - perhaps there were times in the past that some less than honest person(s) posted stock photos instead of ukes actually in their possesion.

You can, of course, post the eBay link, but if you post here, you might also want to fix a price knowing that the ebay sale may well go higher than someone here is willing to but for, so post a realistic "what you would like to get for it" price. In this case, the sky's probably the limit!

You may also want to post on Fleamarket Music's marketplace w/a link to the ebay auction. Look there for the common way people list.

For me, personally, I'm sure it will be way out of MY range, but will be interesting to see what it goes for - would love to see it in the hands of someone I know, because that is the only way I'd ever get to play one!

Good luck on your sale.

Dont beat me up to bad guys... I going to pull the Uke for the second time... I am going to send it out to get it verified.. and get all in writing.. I was getting to many neg responses about it Not being real.. I feel its probably the right thing to do is to have all in writing.. I know now of two that own Poinsettias.. I will ask those two.. Ive asked for any one that may have a catalog to please show it.. and show me that they only made 1 style of this Model.. But there are two different models that ive seen the other version is with abalone inside the bindings by frets.com ....Not including the one I own.. Gruhn has said its a Original item... But a second and third opinion will be better.. Thanks for understanding... I want to make sure.. who ever down the road wins it or what ever, is happy...

Terry

I'm not sure. The ones I have seen depicted all have white fingerboards with multi-colored position markers, like the one you cited on frets.com. To me, this looks like a style 3 neck on a poinsettia body. Gruhn is a definitive source, however, and they are probably correct.

Hi.. I just Talked to Intermountain that has one as well... he agrees with George that its a legit Poinsettia..

Couple of things:

First. Gorgeous uke. I've only seen a Poinsettia once and it was in a glass case but it was something. It had the pearloid fret board. I would definitely get the written documentation. Collectors value that sort of thing and it will help you get the best price for the instrument. Gruhn is a great resource. So is Matt Umanov in NYC.

Personally, I think the green bead flourish around the headstock might have some suspect. I have not seen this on any other photos of Poinsettias but it could be some sort or original addition.

Second: Am I correct in noting that you have now pulled the instrument twice from ebay? This will be a huge red flag for interested parties, I guarantee it. Even though you explained why in the second listing, ebayers are notoriously cautious and suspicious and when and if you re-list the instrument, I would suggest strongly that you clarify why the listing had this kind of activity. It will only help your case. Others want to chime in on this?

Third: This is a Gibson Poinsettia. Why not put that in the title of your listing? That would be a real magnet for collectors searching for interesting instruments.

I think that you are on the right track with this. Documentation stating that it is, in fact a Gibson Poinsettia will be a huge plus in the successful sale on this instrument. And, in my opinion, worth the cost of having it appraised by a reputable and known dealer in vintage instruments.

That example at Intermountain is really something. Beautiful. I troll their site regularly for cool stuff and have been for a very long time. That particular Gibson has been in their listed ukulele collection for quite some time, and at $7500, it doesn't surprise me. That is a lot to drop on an instrument.

Good luck with your sale. Someone lucky collector may very well wind up with a real jewel in their collection.

Mike

Hi Mike.. Thanks for the comments... I have pulled the Uke twice... But I also have made sure a explanation has been posted.. I would rather have a red flag being Sure I am taking the right steps. than to sell something out of the ordinary wrongfully.. I forgot about Matt.. I seen all these guys out at the Philly Guitar show many years ago.. Reason I did not put Poinsettia in the second listing is I was being told it was Not a Poinsettia.. I have No reason to doubt the Owners Family.. So Far I ve been told it is.. now its a Point about getting it in Writing.. those green Beads.... I seem to recall seeing those on other Gibson. Instruments from the era.. If Im not mistaken.. Banjos..

Yes - Slimt is right - it isn't EXACTLY a Poinsettia. Its a GREAT Style 3, painted - presumably at the factory - with a Poinsettia design. From where I sit, this is a much nicer, more desirable instrument than a real Poinsettia (never been a fan of that pearloid fretboard with the red flower). I have no idea about the green beads. I've never seen them before on Gibson banjos, but I'm FAR from an expert on Gibsons and Mastertones. And, this is such a weird, one-of-a-kind instrument, I can understand why you'd want to get it right. Umanov and Gruhn are great resources - also Stan Werbin at Elderly in Michigan and maybe John Bernunzio in Rocherster, NY.

I think the information that you got on Cosmos, that this is customized export Style 3, is correct. I think a serious collector is going to come to a similar conclusion as well, but you'll want to check before posting again. Then again, by now, I think everyone I talk to knows about this instrument! :)

Good luck with it. Fantastic instrument.

Last edited:
Hi John.. and Thanks.. I did talk to Matt this morning.. Im pretty happy with what was discussed.. I got nothing against any one at the Cosmos.. maybe a better approach would of helped on both sides. Im certain as well.. that lots know about this.. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks again...

Top Bottom