Concert Uke tuning peg question.

Uncle Sheepy

Reaction score
Hello folks,
Just endlessly looking at Ukes as a potential purchase!
I initially was looking at sopranos but have been eyeing up some concert models (being a better scale length for me).
One thing that bugs me a bit is I really like the look of backward facing pegs and all the ones I have been looking at have guitar like tuners.
I know its only aesthetics, just wondered if there was any rational behind this?
Cheers oliver.

Aloha Oliver,
You must mean the friction type tuners...they are lighter and may be a balance thing for the ukulele...and not too top heavy...I believe..aside from the old style...

Last edited:
yes mate,
The friction type it is. I just prefer the trad look but if I want a concert I may just have to compromise.

Friction tuners look WAY cooler IMHO.

I agree, but it seems that most 'production' (Ohana/Kala etc price range) only do the guitar tuners, witch is a shame.
I s'pose you could swap them later?

I agree, but it seems that most 'production' (Ohana/Kala etc price range) only do the guitar tuners, witch is a shame.
<snip>

Not so. I have an Ohana Concert all mahogany with friction tuners on sale in the marketplace right now :)

There are concert 'ukes with friction tuners, such as:

http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html

I've used them w/o problem, but found that better quality friction tuners are worth having. The string tension of a concert is more than that of a soprano.

With a soprano, instrument "balance" (weight, not tone) is an issue as well. The heavier concerts are not as top-heavy w/geared tuners.

yeah Bill,
I thought it looked a little big for a soprano ( I believe he plays one normally?), made in Wales no less.

Top Bottom