Guitar strings on a baritone ukulele

Nickie

Reaction score
I read recently that I could put guitar strings on my baritone ukulele and make it GCEA tuning.
So I bought a set at Guitar Center today. They said they were Classical guitar strings. Well, being a complete idiot about guitars, I bought a set and took them home.
When I began to open the package, I saw that all the strings are in one bag, and I felt the winding on one of the strings. I thought all Classical guitars had nylon strings, like most ukuleles, which is what I want to put on my baritone. I want to get AWAY from the wound strings, I hate playing on them. I can't tell how many of them are wound, can someone tell me, will there be 4 unwound strings in the package that I can use? If not, I want to take them back unopened.

three nylon and three wound on the D'addario EJ45s Well thats better than a Uke set because for example Martin's have two wound.

Most sets will have three wound strings. Do not tune to GCEA, though. You'll pop your bridge off. Tune to DGBE.

Well, gCEA would probably be okay, but I wanted to try GCEA. My concert uke is tuned gCEA, I don't need both tuned the same way. I just got really tired of playing the bari dgbe, and I hate wound strings.

Last edited:
I have Worth Brown tenor strings on a bari, tuned E,A,F#,C#. Tension is still slinky but just right for the bari and the sound is phenomenal on this particular uke. I'm not in the key of C but I use all the C chord shapes. Since I don't play with anyone else it doesn't matter the tuning, it just sounds very balanced to my ears, like the uke is very happy there. This was recommended to me by John Kavanagh as an all unwound option and he was right.

I have Worth Brown tenor strings on a bari, tuned E,A,F#,C#. Tension is still slinky but just right for the bari and the sound is phenomenal on this particular uke. I'm not in the key of C but I use all the C chord shapes. Since I don't play with anyone else it doesn't matter the tuning, it just sounds very balanced to my ears, like the uke is very happy there. This was recommended to me by John Kavanagh as an all unwound option and he was right.
Who sells Worth strings these days, now MGM is gone? Anyone you can recommend who does mail order (not Elderly, please - too expensive to ship)?

Does Aquila make an unwound bari set? I need some for my banjo uke.

Well, gCEA would probably be okay, but I wanted to try GCEA. My concert uke is tuned gCEA, I don't need both tuned the same way. I just got really tired of playing the bari dgbe, and I hate wound strings.

I have the Southcoast linear on my bari[for sale by the way], and they are intended for GCEA on the bari. here's me playing it for olpharts contest if you want to hear the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjswtewh5BA

Top Bottom