Ebay alert.. Vintage C.F.Martin & Co. Ukulele Style O A615

tjomball

Reaction score
It look like an real early model with those tuners...but maybe not the original ones...no patina???hmmm

I plan to bid on this. I'm a little disconcerted about the bridge, though. Can't really see what they have done, but the knots are on the neck side of the bridge? Weird.

I hadn't noticed that before I read your post, but by-golly you're right! Weird. Maybe the bridge came off and someone guessed about how it went on and got it backwards. Of course, they'd have needed to drill holes to get the strings to pass through both sides. All things considered, a bridge replacement shouldn't be TOO difficult, if it's messed up so much that it needs one.

I hope you get it hmgberg. I was looking closely at the photos and it looks like (in the last picture) perhaps the slot on the bridge for the G string is wide at the bottom. Perhaps some enterprising luthier or home fix it guy just thought the best solution was to drill small holes and tie it off on the front side, rather than just tying a bigger knot? Maybe they could be filled and be almost unnoticeable?

Also, what do you think about the pegs? Replacements? I haven't seen a Martin with white pegs like that but I am no expert!

I think I saw a new/replacement Martin bridge on eBay recently....but I don't see it now. I look forward to hearing if you get it!

Wouldn't that make the strings longer and screw up the intonation?

Very odd. At this point my concern would be that the string "tails" actually touch the vibrating string when played and cause buzzing or muting. It looks like a another bridge might be necessary. Should come off fairly easily with steam.

Just a thought.

I hope you get it hmgberg. I was looking closely at the photos and it looks like (in the last picture) perhaps the slot on the bridge for the G string is wide at the bottom. Perhaps some enterprising luthier or home fix it guy just thought the best solution was to drill small holes and tie it off on the front side, rather than just tying a bigger knot? Maybe they could be filled and be almost unnoticeable?

Also, what do you think about the pegs? Replacements? I haven't seen a Martin with white pegs like that but I am no expert!

I think I saw a new/replacement Martin bridge on eBay recently....but I don't see it now. I look forward to hearing if you get it!

I have seen white pegs on Martins. The bridge is a bit more of a concern. I certainly wouldn't keep it strung like that as I'm sure the ends of the strings would buzz like crazy against the soundboard. I wrote to the seller asking for some clarification of this issue. He/she wrote back stating that once items have been listed they are placed in storage. Although he apologized for the inconvenience, I found it disconcerting that it could not be pulled out of storage and checked. How hard coud that be? Better than having not disclosed a potential problem and having to take the instrument back from the eventual buyer, no?

Very odd. At this point my concern would be that the string "tails" actually touch the vibrating string when played and cause buzzing or muting. It looks like a another bridge might be necessary. Should come off fairly easily with steam.

Just a thought.

Exactly! My thought, too.

Exactly! My thought, too.

But this is the early bridge style; it's a little blockier than later ones. I'd hate to replace it. I'd rather try to restore it. Might be a challenge though.

@ hmgberg
You won the auction?
If so I'm happy for ya. Glad it wound up in good hands..

Why so much excitement about this one? Similar Martins Style 0s from this era sell on eBay regularly for about this price.

This is a very early one. At the time, Martin was not using any position markers at all. Apparently, the first several hundred made also had serial numbers. The seller did not indicate that there was a serial number, but he/she is not familiar with ukuleles. So, that's basically it. It is very early, probably sounds off-the-charts good, and could possibly be among the first several hundred made.

Thanks, I figured it was teens or early 20s but hadn't noticed the lack of dots -- also didn't realize this was an indicator of an extremely early model. I know I've seen it on some Ditsons, though mine has (tiny) dots.

The drilled bridge on this one scared me off. This same sellers has/had some other Martin ukes as well.

Top Bottom