Best place to put a Humidifier in case

Hidden Character

Reaction score
Hey,

So some of you guys know that I just got my first expensive uke recently. And since it's so expensive, of course I would trip about every little detail. I'm pretty sure we're all afraid of instruments getting some major cracking, so I want to prevent that. I wonder where is the best place to put a humidifier?

I have a Humistat humidifier, its the round, flat one. When I first received the uke, it was inside the compartment, but I moved it the front, closer to the headstock, is that a good place to put it? Or should I place it somewhere else?

My case is a hardshell Ko'olau countoured case. Thanks in advance

Dude we live in the Bay Area. We don't really need to worry about humidity here (remember all that rain we had?). But if your that concerned with humidity you should get a hygrometer for your case. Somewhere between 40%-60% RH (Relative Humidity) would be ok.

Soundhole humidifiers are better. Like Oasis Ukulele Humidifier. But yes you should also get a hygrometer. You could get em at a cigar store for cheap

I agree that the Oasis is a better way to humidify your uke, but placing the Humistat anywhere in the case will be fine. I believe that it comes with a velcro strip to mount it. How about in the top behind the headstock?

I have to agree, get an oasis humidifier. When I first got one it freaked me out that I had to push the strings so far apart to get it in there, it felt scary and awkward, but now I just pop that baby in there when I put it away. I have both an oasis and a smaller humidifier that I keep near the headstock. The great thing about an oasis is it warns you that you need to add more water because it starts to look shriveled, and you see it every time you play because you have to physically take it out of your instrument first. I've had the other one go dry on me before and it took me a while to notice. Oasis, definitely worth the investment....and much cheaper than repairing or replacing your uke!

We Have a problem with humidity here..

Good info.. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here in Milwaukee where my normal indoor RH is 32-38%, I have been using the Oasis soundhole models as discussed above but when I got my latest Uke it had a Herco in the accessories storage area that works nicely too. I now have 2 cases with Herco, & 2 with Oasis and both keep the cases @ 49-52%. The Herco is a small plastic jar of clay and needs to be dampened every 3-4 weeks. As Pepamahina says, the Oasis' kinda shivels up and you know it needs H20, ~2 weeks between filling. Get a hygrometer if you are unsure and your peace of mind will pay for it.

Remember that the case humidifier humidifies the case (most are wood under the cover material), and the humid case gives your 'ukulele a safe home. The Oasis does the same, just keeps the 'Uke happy then the case. When the case is closed for a few days at a time you probably don't see much difference between the two type. With a new wood case, it's extra important to humidify it as a 30% RF case with suck the moisture out of a 45-50% RH 'uke. A case I bought from CA. was 35% inside after shipping a couple days, the Oahu cases from Ko'olau shipped from Oahu, were ~55% so were no danger to my 'ukes.

Your 'uke WILL suffer in a less than 35% atmosphere in even a couple days. Don't ask how I know these things. Painful lesson, etc...

Top Bottom