New Mango Uke

Mandarb

Reaction score
I commissioned a mango tenor ukulele from Emil Bader of S&J Crafts. It arrived this past Friday. It sounds great - I had a nice weekend playing it. Here are some pics I took with my iPhone.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

S&J Crafts Mango Tenor, Kamaka HF-3 Koa Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Tenor

IMG_0453.jpg

Lanikai LU-21T Signed by Jake Shimabukuro

Thank you all for the kind words.

It looks so pretty! Compared to the Kamaka, how does it sound?

It has about the same volume as the Kamaka but it sounds a little warmer. The Kamaka has opened up a bit with time so to my ears it has more overtones.

Aloha Mandarb,
Congratulations on your new Emil Bader...look awesome man...he lives in Kalihi, kinda close to where I grew up.....love his stuff and he has some really hawaiian exotic stuff too..
Whoo woo.. You have a nice collection of ukes too...Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Looks gorgeous. I just got a mango from Mya-Moe and it really does have a distinct warm sound. In high G it really sounds perfect. Mango is very cool wood. Play it in good health.

Aloha Mandarb,
Congratulations on your new Emil Bader...look awesome man...he lives in Kalihi, kinda close to where I grew up.....love his stuff and he has some really hawaiian exotic stuff too..
Whoo woo.. You have a nice collection of ukes too...Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Thanks - you can tell he builds his ukes with love and a passion for spreading the music and spirit of Aloha.

Looks gorgeous. I just got a mango from Mya-Moe and it really does have a distinct warm sound. In high G it really sounds perfect. Mango is very cool wood. Play it in good health.

Mine is strung with high G as well - which is what I prefer. Enjoy your Mya Moe.

Soooooo pretty!
I may have to get a mango sometime. When I was at Mr. Bader's house I could not stop looking at the mangoes!
Enjoy it!

Very pretty uke Mandarb. Congratulations! I bought an Emil Bader mango concert pineapple for my daughter for Christmas. She loves it too. It has awesome volume and projection, and a nice crisp tone. Here's some pics of that one...

DSCF4897.jpgDSCF4895.jpgDSCF4892.jpg

He really builds very beautiful ukes and his prices are very, very reasonable for the workmanship and TLC that goes into them. :)

Soooooo pretty!
I may have to get a mango sometime. When I was at Mr. Bader's house I could not stop looking at the mangoes!
Enjoy it!

You know you want a mango. :)

Beautiful instrument. Mango can be a wonderful tonewood.
Mr Bader seems like he makes his instruments out of love. Harvest a lot of the wood himself I've read.

They are definitely made with a lot of love and a passion for spreading the spirit/music of Aloha.

Gorgeous family you have their!! Love that uke hanger too!! Congrats on the new uke, just stunning!

Thank you. The uke hanger was made by fellow UUer - Mr. Bill. Nobody seems to make a horizontal uke hangers - only vertical. My wife did mind the uke being displayed in the living room. Her only requirement was that the uke be hung horizontally to show off the signature. Mr. Bill was kind enough to offer to build a hanger to our requirements.

Very pretty uke Mandarb. Congratulations! I bought an Emil Bader mango concert pineapple for my daughter for Christmas. She loves it too. It has awesome volume and projection, and a nice crisp tone. Here's some pics of that one...

View attachment 22291View attachment 22292View attachment 22293

He really builds very beautiful ukes and his prices are very, very reasonable for the workmanship and TLC that goes into them. :)

Yeah - his prices are very reasonable. Looks like your daughter is having a great time. Thanks for sharing some pics.

View attachment 22291View attachment 22292View attachment 22293

Your daughter looks like she's going to be one hell of a uke player. Does she play any other instruments by chance? Like say the guitar? I ask because it looks like she plays with good classical positioning.

Oh, and beauty of a uke. To both of you.

Top Bottom