PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Ukulele....

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Sorry for the alert. But, I have had a Ukulele stolen, and don't know what to do.. I know this was a problem not too long ago with another one of our members, but now it has made it to my home.

My wife had always supported my Uke, and guitar habit, but now has taken it to another level. A couple years ago, she tried picking up one of my old banjos, and didn't have allot of luck with it. All she been doing for the past year or so is listen to my daughter and I play guitar and uke. NOW, she suddenly went into my private stash, and picked herself out a uke, and a case, and waltzed into the living room the other day with them. Sat down, and started going through my music sheets and chord papers I use to teach kids to play. Yesterday, she looked right at me in the eyes, and said "This is MY ukulele now.."

Should I report this to the authorities, or handle it vigalente style?

Chap
04-04-2011, 03:44 AM
Hmmm.... Well, we'll have to know how to file the papers. Was it a misdemeanor, or a felony? IE: Which uke was it? :)

SuzukHammer
04-04-2011, 03:45 AM
You got to be more careful with the stash.

Pretty much, possession is 98% of the law. Wait until she is asleep and then snatch it back.

Skitzic
04-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Don a Batman mask and show her that crime doesn't pay.

What did she snatch anyway?

Lexxy
04-04-2011, 04:03 AM
I say, let her steal it.

When she gets in the uke groove, she'll want to buy more. UAS ;)

mm stan
04-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Sounds like the perp. has no history.....hmm..my diagnosis it could be a medical thing called ukulele contagious and she has been bitten by the deadly Ukulele bug..no sense in an intervention since several
members of the family has it...prognosis...no chance in saving her now.....buy her a new uke of her own...and hope the new bling gets her..and you get back you baby.......How cool man...Way to Gooo!! Ukeing in
da house....woo wooo..have fun and enjoy...thanks for the great story....Happy Strummings...MM Stan

pepamahina
04-04-2011, 04:08 AM
You really had me going there for a minute, I was thinking "oh no! how did it happen? where was it?". Sucker.

Pukulele Pete
04-04-2011, 04:20 AM
My wife did the same thing when I got my Mainland Concert. Turns out I don't like concerts so it worked out OK .

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 04:25 AM
lol.. Sorry to alarm ya'll.. But I'll get paid somehow for it, hahhahha.. I may just have to do the right thing as a Christian man. Turn the other cheek. It's like stealing a bible, if she is gonna steal it, she needs it more than I do, hahhah..

Anyway, it's just a misemenor for now. It was only a spare LU-21 I called "Cinderella" (My step Child), I didn't play it much and odds are, it would have been given to someone anyway, so might as well be her I reckon. I'll have to let the bug soak in for a couple weeks there Stan bruddah, to let it get into her blood stream, and internal organs, and then buy her something a bit nicer to get it back.. ;)

Anyway, another convert is never a bad thing..

hoosierhiver
04-04-2011, 04:30 AM
This must be why there are locks on uke cases.

fitncrafty
04-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Hey.. not nice!! my heart sunk, because not to long ago your daughter's guitar was stolen.. and I though no way..

But now that you said it was your wife and it was an extra.. I say let her join in the fun.. and handle it vigilante style!
Have fun with your new found jamming partner!! :)

ksiegel
04-04-2011, 04:32 AM
You can't steal something given freely, can you?

I say, tell her that she has to play duets with you - that's a punishment to fit the crime.

(I wish I could get my wife to play one of my ukuleles....)

-Kurt

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 04:35 AM
This must be why there are locks on uke cases.

Not sure that would work either. Not well known, but I am also an amature locksmith, and she knows where all my locksmith tools, and picks are.. lol

cletus
04-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Congratulations !!

Ambrosius
04-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Made my day, Tudor :-)

Ronnie Aloha
04-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Not sure about your states laws but in CA community property rules...sigh.

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Update,

She found a song in my song stash that I never really played allot. "Hallaleiuah". I am sitting here watching a movie, and I started reconizing the tune. Progress, and a song I rarely play so it is refreshing really. Maybe I need to add that one to my play list so I can play it with her. I think me picking, and her strumming might be pretty cool. I guess I'll let her keep it for now...

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Not sure about your states laws but in CA community property rules...sigh.

Not sure about my state either, but in my life, she gets it all anyway, hahhah..

mm stan
04-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Update,

She found a song in my song stash that I never really played allot. "Hallaleiuah". I am sitting here watching a movie, and I started reconizing the tune. Progress, and a song I rarely play so it is refreshing really. Maybe I need to add that one to my play list so I can play it with her. I think me picking, and her strumming might be pretty cool. I guess I'll let her keep it for now...
Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Maybe you can make a great video like Fitncrafty and her Daughter Ariana...http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44826-Mom-and-Daughter-duo-Skip-to-My-Lou
Happy Strummings....Thats soo cool man...MM Stan

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Aloha Bruddah Tudorp,
Maybe you can make a great video like Fitncrafty and her Daughter Ariana...http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?44826-Mom-and-Daughter-duo-Skip-to-My-Lou
Happy Strummings....Thats soo cool man...MM Stan

Thats a cool video of Crafty and Co. Loved it, hadn't seen it before. Maybe I can talk the wife into one like that..

mm stan
04-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Sorry Bruddah Tudorp,
That link didn't work...here the one that does...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV5UoN9Fq9I
MM Stan....

PhilUSAFRet
04-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Hmmmmm, sounds like a couple of "rude" wifes out there. Oh well, they say the "entitlement syndrome" is running rampant in this Country. Sounds like it could be justification to buy another uke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slimt
04-04-2011, 05:59 AM
I had to make sure I was reading this right.... :)

is she taking up the Passion for the Uke now?

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 06:03 AM
I had to make sure I was reading this right.... :)

is she taking up the Passion for the Uke now?

Well, not sure if it is "passion" yet, but you know intstruments, uke specifically can quickly turn into that.. ;)

slimt
04-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Thats good.. :)

My Wife has chosen the remote.. :)

fitncrafty
04-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Thats a cool video of Crafty and Co. Loved it, hadn't seen it before. Maybe I can talk the wife into one like that..

Hey thanks! Just recorded it last night, Love playing with my little girl! Good luck and have fun strumming with your wife, Glad you hear some progress!

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Hey thanks! Just recorded it last night, Love playing with my little girl! Good luck and have fun strumming with your wife, Glad you hear some progress!

Thanks, and I want to try an encurrage her, because she does enjoy me and the daughter enjoying music. The wife loves music too, but I have to admit, she has always been a bit tone deaf. She typically can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it, so she is very self concious. But I can always tell she loves to listen to me and the daughter and I can also tell it has always bugged her that she couldn't join in. She got very discurraged with the banjo a couple years ago, but she is doing better with the uke in only a couple days, so it seems to be encurraging her a bit. So, hopefully, I can keep her on it...

johntz
04-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Consider it a small price to pay for happiness. I wish my wife would take up the Uke and give up fashion shoes :)

Pippin
04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Tudorp, my good man, count your blessings. This is a God-send.

Teek
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
After all the years of her putting up with you and your daughter's stashes, I would imagine you owe her one instrument of her own. ;)

Also I agree with the community property thing.

I have appropriated my hubby's laptop since my pc fried it's mobo, but either he lets me use his pc so I can keep doing my 3 -4 jobs, or we can't pay rent. He likes to use mine when it's working because he's too lazy to set up his laptop.

I'd say if it's a uke you miss, tell her when she feels like moving UP, you will help her get a new cootie-free uke. :cool:

heymak
04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
You must not have read the fine print when you got married. No theft here, "whats hers is hers and what's yours is hers." It's right there after "til death do us part".

RyanMFT
04-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I think you should tell her that uke was always meant for her, and that she should look around online for one that really captures her heart, and she can have one of those too! Everyone wins!

Maiyah888
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Tudor -- great thread!

I'm glad your grand scheme to convert her to The Way of Uke has finally borne (deliciously forbidden) fruit!

They think they're so clever, don't they? But we know that we planned it all along!

Maiyah, whose ukulele and ocarina minions are slowly taking over her relatives mwahahahahahaha!

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Tudor -- great thread!

I'm glad your grand scheme to convert her to The Way of Uke has finally borne (deliciously forbidden) fruit!

They think they're so clever, don't they? But we know that we planned it all along!

Maiyah, whose ukulele and ocarina minions are slowly taking over her relatives mwahahahahahaha!

Shhh... <whisper> If WAS planned all along. I planted Cinderella there months ago just for that reason. Now that I am DOWN a uke, I plan to tell her in a few days that I need to replace my Cinderella with a new Uke... BwwwaaAAAAAhahhahahah... One bite from Ukuleous Deathecas, and she'll be mine... FOREVAH!!!!

LoMa
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
It's the price you pay for love...

Lori
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
After she gets used to the uke, you can either have her choose her new uke, and you get Cinderella back, or get a replacement uke for yourself. It's great that she can join in on the family music time! I have offered to designate one of my ukes to my husband, but he has declined so far. He seems to like the Mainland mango concert, and the Kala tenor Mango the best, so I usually hand one of those to him when I can.

–Lori

Tudorp
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
After she gets used to the uke, you can either have her choose her new uke, and you get Cinderella back, or get a replacement uke for yourself. It's great that she can join in on the family music time! I have offered to designate one of my ukes to my husband, but he has declined so far. He seems to like the Mainland mango concert, and the Kala tenor Mango the best, so I usually hand one of those to him when I can.

–Lori

Actually, Cinderella was slotted to be given to a local kid (no specific kid yet tho). I don't play her at all, and she just lays around as a throw down uke if someone stops by and wants to join along. So, not gonna miss her at all. I'll just take her off my give-away uke list for now, and if the wife hangs in there and gets the bug bad I will eventually get her one of her own. Although for now, she has clamped onto Cinderella as her own for now, lol. I caught her today eyeballin a zebra wood uke, so she is getting that gleam in her eye already, lol.

OldePhart
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Not sure that would work either. Not well known, but I am also an amature locksmith, and she knows where all my locksmith tools, and picks are.. lol

Uh..."amateur locksmith?" When I was growing up we called them burglars... :biglaugh:

Just kidding, of course.

John

Tudorp
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Uh..."amateur locksmith?" When I was growing up we called them burglars... :biglaugh:

Just kidding, of course.

John

Well, the craft has to start somewhere.. lol

Funny you mentioned that, because my sister is a real airehead, and is CONSTANTLY loosing her keys. Dumb as a sack of hammers. She actually had her keyring with all her keys on it, and yes, even the extra key ya get with a lock was on the same key ring. She used to constantly call me over to unlock her truck, house, or whatever, then cut her a new key (without one to copy). One day she had a safe cabnet in her desk at home. She called and needed me to come over because she had lost the key to that. I was laying on the ground, picking it, poppped it open in about a minute and a half, and asked her if it actually worried her that she could never lock me out of anything.. She thought for a minute (or jsut went brain dead, which happends every so often too) and looked worried and said, "yeah, as a matter of fact, that IS kinda scary.. "

Good thing I'm not the wild crazy SOB I used to be. When I was in the AF we had what we called a "Lemon Lot" where people would park their personal cars for sale. I constantly looked at cars there, and if I saw one that interested me, I would pick the door open, pick the ignition switch and take it for a test drive before I called the seller if I was interested or not. Suprised that never bit me in the arse too.. lol

olgoat52
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Don a Batman mask and show her that crime doesn't pay.

What did she snatch anyway?

OoOOPs!! There you go with your fantasies again.. ;)

Tudorp
04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
OoOOPs!! There you go with your fantasies again.. ;)

lol.. I'm glad someone took that. I could have gone in many different directions with that one, but commited to be good.. hahhah

Plainsong
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I wish more than he can ever realize that my husband would steal a uke. You're lucky to have a thief in the house!