I just bought a cigar box tenor ukuele from Tom Guy

Wow, I love the sound and look of that thing. How much did you get it for?

your getting a great sound of that

Boy I am excited about my new ukulele from Tom Guy at bluegrass ukuleles. It is a cigar box tenor. Anyone here know any thing about his work?
here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldv8bgizQrc

Also where would you get a case for a cigar box ukulele?

Dude.

I own 3 of Tom's babies (1 cigar box uke and my 2 tenors - maple and mahogany) Check out my YT videos (link below). I've recorded on all of them.

You'll love it! As for a case, I haven't figured that one out yet. Tom uses one of those rectangular steel cases with the dark foam inside to transport his cigar box ukes.

More info:

Tom used to play and make classical guitars. His brother lives in Hawaii, which I think got him interested in the uke. Tom lives in the Louisville area, so I've been able to visit with him a few times.

He strings his cigar box ukes (which are tenor length) with Low-G Hilo strings. I restrung my cigar box with Guadalupe fiber-core strings which have a different, but interesting sound.

Have fun with yours!

Congrats on the new uke. I just got one from Tom last week, and I'm very happy with it so far. Here are some pics from the uke p*** thread...

cb3jpg.jpg

cb1jpg.jpg

cb4jpg.jpg

cb2jpg.jpg

I'm still playing it with the low G Hilos, but can't wait to try it out with some others after I give these a good go.

I have a cigar box from Tom as well and I really like it. I think it compares favorably with ukes that cost twice as much in terms of sound and feel. Plus, since it's a cigar box, you don't feel bad customizing it a bit. I've got 2 stickers and Jake Shimabukuro's autograph on mine. I put the uke in a Gator gig-bag.

Currently I have a set of old style Ko'olau Gold high-G tenor strings on it. Despite the slanted bridge, which I believe is intended for low-G, the intonation on this uke with high-G is as good as any uke I have.

319703108.jpg

315059495.jpg

I recorded a video with it a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gt8SujD8_Q

These ukes gets two thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
Well I paid $395.00 It is my first uke. I have been buying and playing mandolins and I think you can get a real nice uke for soooomuch less than a real nice mandolin.
I bought a $25.00 mahalo last weekend...I will use it to swat skeeters and june bugs...lol
I know enough about getting something that sounds and plays well. It took 5 minutes on the $25.00 skeeter swatter to know that I should get something nice.
His cigarbox really made my heart flutter...... so I pony-ed up and swallered hard and bought that pretty son of a buck!

Last edited:
...I bought a $25.00 mahalo last weekend...I will use it to swat skeeters and june bugs...
His cigarbox really made my heart flutter...... so I pony-ed up and swallered hard and bought that pretty son of a buck!

Tarnation! I reckon y'all better head on back to the holler. L'il Abner will be lookin' fer ya! :D

I'll meet ya at the bottom. Bring me my runnin' shoes!:D

Lawrence Kansas is a very cool little city of roughly 100,000 plus 30,000 students at University of Kansas.
There is alot of live music in Lawrence....alot of uke players. Strolling downtown the other day I heard 2 different uke players jamming on Mass Street....way cool!
Sailquest ...where are you from in Kansas.
I grew up on a ranch in Greensburg....the big tornado blew that towm of 1,700 away last year, they are rebuilding.
I also grew up in Chanute.

I'm originally from Great Bend. Haven't been there in forever! I always think of Kansas as a great place to be from! :D

And Deach, I'll get you (and your little dog, too)! :p

Top Bottom