playing left handed

enzymerich

Reaction score
hello,
i am a pretty strict left handed person.
So, it was easy to learn chording with my left hand and I could strum with my right.
But, i would really like to fingerpick and just can't get consistent energy flowing through my right hand for fingerpicking after months of trying.
So I switched over to picking with my left hand and reversing the strings and am starting over again.
Any lefties out their that can share their experiences?
Thanks for any info!
Rich

I am a lefty, but I just somehow picked up the uke right handed, My oldest son messes around with my ukes and just plays the uke upside down, makes the E chord easy.. I am sure that doesn't really help you now though.
maybe its your uke, Action isn't right for picking to high or too low? Have you tried a felt pick just to see if the sound is better? I used a felt pick a little bit when I first started playing for picking melodies, it helped. Then was able to give it up after a few months.
Good luck and don't give up! I am still a beginner too, but I am sure some of the experts will chime in here soon!

I play left handed... i played right handed, but found it horrendously difficult. as my first uke was really cheap, i just retuned the strings, not even swapping them over!

i now have a kala baritone, which was redone left handed. any good shop should be able to do this in no time.

people always say 'play right handed'. now, if you can do that, brilliant! you can get much better instruments. but its sometimes impossible, in which case, play left handed. do what feels comfortable.
dans

With most ukes, I think you'll find that you can just switch the strings with no modifications. There are exceptions but generally it should be fine.

Top Bottom