PDA

View Full Version : Playing left handed

enzymerich
04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
hello,
i am a pretty strict left handed person.
So, it was easy to learn chording with my left hand and I could strum with my right.
But, i would really like to fingerpick and just can't get consistent energy flowing through my right hand for fingerpicking after months of trying.
So I switched over to picking with my left hand and reversing the strings and am starting over again.
Any lefties out their that can share their experiences?
Thanks for any info!
Rich

heymak
04-05-2011, 03:09 AM
Being a lefty I started to make up new chord sheets. I realized pretty quick that all my life I've been transposing righty to lefty anyway, so didn't need the special chord sheets. A lot of people here will tell you to try and switch to righty and just practice. I say do what works for you and just try to keep it fun. If it means playing lefty cool, if switching to righty works better that's cool too. I'm still relatively new but I do like that trying to play along with videos can be like watching a mirror. It makes it a little easier to mimic the moves. P.S. music teacher mike, Mike Lynch has some good teaching videos on youtube. Down the road you may have a hard time finding better quality ukes set up for lefty. Eleuke has finally started making some and I'm sure others do too, but the selection is much smaller.

P.S. My avitar was created after a somewhat heated debate on this same subject. Some people are seriously anti-lefty uke. Most here are really cool though.

lefty dan
04-05-2011, 06:15 AM
I play guitar and uke. Both left handed. Its just natural to me, so I do it that way. Yes I could have forced myself to play righty but why. Im a lefty, it is what it is. As for buying lefty. Almost all ukes can be lefty if you switch the strings. If the bridge is canted then you cant but most are straight. Some say the nut needs to be re-groved but I have not done it on a uke yet.
I dont buy high end ukes or guitars a lot, cant aford too. I own two very expensive guitars and did not have to order and wait but if I did so what. Im only going to buy expensive ones once every so many years.
My biggest bummer is going to music stores and not being able to play whats hanging. I have learned to play a little up side down. So I can hear the quality but thats it.
Just my two cents.

knadles
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I've said it before, but don't discount the possibility of playing upside down. I have a friend who plays guitar that way. Most of his guitars have had the nuts reversed, so they're left-hand but strung righty. When he bought a uke, he just flipped it over and began to play. Albert King used to do the same thing.

-Pete

bazmaz
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Stringed instruments can be a pain for lefites - not least the cost on things like guitars - but from what I have read, its not really good for the brain to do right handed things if you are a lefty. I think your experience shows you hit a barrier - dont be afraid to go lefty though on uke as much easier to swap strings over.

As for lefty players of stringed instruments - McCartney? Hendrix?

Pukulele Pete
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Stringed instruments can be a pain for lefites - not least the cost on things like guitars - but from what I have read, its not really good for the brain to do right handed things if you are a lefty. I think your experience shows you hit a barrier - dont be afraid to go lefty though on uke as much easier to swap strings over.

As for lefty players of stringed instruments - McCartney? Hendrix?

Hmmm. I'm a lefty and do some right handed things ,like playing the Uke.
So that's what happenned to my brain. This explains alot. I always blamed it on the 60's .

easyroller
04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Play it whatever way the most "natural" way it feels to you.

heymak
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Flip the strings and play it the "natural" way it feels to you. Do two at a time (switch the two outside strings, tune them, then switch the two inside strings).

Like it's been said up there somewhere watching and learning from youtube videos becomes like a mirror then and it's not too bad. Only downside is you can't go into a shop and play the uke's in there or test of friend's ukes, but I don't have any friends so that's no biggie, lol

I have learned to play a few chords upside down just so I can test the sound of a uke in the shop.

ConspiracyUkeist
04-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm left-handed but play righty.

You know what's funny? You never see a left-handed violin. With that instrument, it must be like table manners in the 1800s, you WILL learn to do it right-handed, or tuff.

I say, do what works!

hopkid
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm a natural lefty when it comes to the uke. When I first started I toyed with the idea of re-writing chord tabs because it was really hard in my brain to turn things around. I'm much more of a visual person when learning anything. But in time reading chord tabs has become a bit easier. Picking tabs of course aren't really lefty or righty-centric. I just wish the strings were switched around. I mean it makes no sense in reality, does it?

That said I've always thrown a ball and swung a bat right-handed while eating and writing left-handed. Goofy, I know.

And it does suck that I can't pick up a uke in a store and try it out without a lot of trouble. I'll have to try playing them upside down.

kuke2
04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm a lefty and when I started out, everyone discouraged me from playing left-handed. But I knew I would be in the same boat that you are in, because my right hand just isn't coordinated/strong enough for fingerpicking. I got my uke restrung, and I haven't had any trouble reading chord charts (like everyone said I would) or playing!!!

heymak
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
At first I went through the trouble to redo the chord charts for lefty. I found it easier to just learn using the righty chords so I could use off the shelf song books later.

easyroller
04-15-2011, 03:55 AM
I have learned to play a few chords upside down just so I can test the sound of a uke in the shop.

hmmmm, that's a damn good idea! :)