U-Bass Question...

mendel

Reaction score
My friend plays the bass. He wants to get into the Ukulele. Is the U-Bass strung the same notes as a traditional bass? Also, what is a good starter u-Bass for him to check into? As he is not sure if he is really going to stick with it, he'd like the price range to be relatively low, around $200 or so. Any info or suggestions are welcome.

I believe that the Ubass is strung like a traditional bass. Same notes, I don't know much about them, but I got to play with (because I have no idea how to play one) at a shop once, the strings are really strange, thick and rubbery, weird feeling but sort of cool at the same time...

Good luck to your friend, I know there are some ubass players on here so hopefully they can answer your questions better...

A U-bass is essentially a short-necked bass, differing only from a larger bass by the length of the scale. U-basses sell for around $500 in Canada, but are less expensive in the USA. A solid body version should be out this year. It's an easy transition from standard electric to U-bass, but you need to work on careful finger placement since the strings have a tendency to roll under pressure more than regular bass strings.

You probably won't be able to find a Ubass around $200, unless it's a super bargain second hand.

Though for the purpose stated, a bass player wanting to get into ukulele should just get a ukulele LOL!
Because a UBass will just be a small, rubber-stringed bass, not a ukulele. It won't really give him any real "ukulele" experience.

Another Ukulele-sized bass is the Ashbory bass. I have one, and love it! Costs significantly less than the Ubass (in my opinion, Ubasses are a bit overpriced).
However, they only come in fretless.

Yeah, I own a Ubass and it's really just a short scale bass. Plays the same notes and in the same octave as a typical four-string electric bass. Nothing really "U" about it except that the body is basically a baritone uke.

John

He'd be better off just getting a uke! According to Steve Boisen, it's a very easy transition!

Top Bottom