Plastic Ukes

MiaRosie

Reaction score
I'm desperate to get my hands on a plastic uke from the 60's era or thereabouts - mainly because of their looks I have to say, but would obv like to be able to play it ! :drool:

There was one on ebay that I intended bidding on ( it was in the States ) - made contact for shipping quote and all was on for a go and sat waiting for the end of the auction the night before last. Clicked on a new button which said **1 click bid** - putting in $28 more than it was at - right at the last 20 seconds or so to go and it didn't work ! I could have cried. :( Be warned if you use that button feature.

Anyhow, do any of you own a plastic uke ?
How are they for playability / sound ?

:iwant:

If you know of anyone with one for sale at a 'reasonable' price who would be willing to ship to the UK I'd be more than happy (double more than happy in fact) to speak with them!

Hi,

Too bad about the Ebay mishap. I'm sure that there will be another opportunity in your future.

There is a fairly large contingency of Plastic Ukulele Collectors out there and a second bunch who collect the plastic Chordmaster boxes that attach to the ukuleles.

We have four in our collection. Three sopranos (An Islander, a Flamingo, and a TV Pal) and a Baritone (TV Pal)

As far as I'm concerned, they are collector ukes only and we have them for show. I don't particularly like playing them. They are loud, have a distinctive "plastic" sound, and they cannot really be adjusted or "set up" so you are stuck with invariably high action. Others on the forum may disagree. I do admit that they are fun to own and do provide a nice addition to the all wood community of ukuleles.

Good luck with your search. As I said, I'm sure that there is a plastic uke in your future.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UkeHeidiUkeAida
http://www.chordmaster.org/

Check out Antoine's Youtube and Plastic Uke site. He's the king of plastic ukes (well, maybe the Dauphin of Plastic Ukes - since he's French)!

I've got a few plastics too. They're a lot of fun. And as mentioned previously, it's best to know how high the action (strings) are on a plastic before bidding. Ask for side shots of the uke from the seller.

Those videos confirm my desire, I neeeeed. I just love the sound, crazy perhaps, but I do. I've got a wall clear to display them - sad case of plastic uas.

thanks for the links people, will check them out and one day I WILL find I catch a falling star and find the little uke with my name on it.

:)

Just a tip re. eBay: that button only works if you have put in at least one bid before the last hour of the auction (this information is available on the site). It's a useful button, but it's designed to help people who don't snipe. If you do prefer to snipe, you can still enter a proper (albeit more time-consuming) bid in the last seconds of the auction.

Been on lookout in the UK for a plastic - either from the cheaper TVPAL to the more desireable Maccaferri instruments - sadly, this side of the pond, those I see on ebay command silly prices I am not prepared to pay.

As such, thus far sticking with my (plastic) Flea, (plastic) Fluke and (plastic) Dolphin!!

It's shipping to the uk that puts me off - these plastic ukes only seem to come up in the USA - I guess they didn't really catch on over here!
Also been looking at the Sekiguchi Amuse - also an import but they seem to be available from france so a a bit cheaper. Don't forget that you tend to get stung for VAT on import from outside the EU as well a the postage.

Top Bottom