Who gets to go for a ride?

When you go traveling what uke do you take with you? To the park, friends, beach, business trip etc.
Just like dogs , don't leave them in the car unattended ! :)

Mike, I take a variety of different ukes. I used to take some cheap dolphins but I don't know. Those dolphins a fine for beginners but once you hear a nice uke a dolphin doesn't do it for me. I normally take a concert uke with me (my koaloha and then my mainland, but mainland is on loan and koaloha is no longer mine). Now I take my 6 stringer or the kala travel (but I don't like the soprano size).

g'day Mike

I find myself always reaching for my little flea whenever I go to the beach, work, or just any ol' ride in the car. So durable and dependable those things. They can sure tolerate a fair bit of punishment. If we're going on a Griswald's family trip then my daughter will grab one of our coloured mahalo's and we'll jam together while eugenie drives. Perfect. Hesitate to take anything expensive, especially in the warmer weather.

Blessings mate, hope you're well and full of twinkies! :)

Who gets to ride? I had this guy walk through my wood shop en route to Guitar Merchant to pick up his guitar. He had this huge white, well mannered dog with him. I didn't even notice the motorcycle until he was leaving. So it looks like everyone gets to ride.:)

Attachments

• dog-rider.jpg
    dog-rider.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 50
I travel all the time with my Kamaka. I will probably travel now a bit with my new Bader uke as well.

The Flea is my hardcore traveling uke, and was purchased for that purpose. I've never regretted that purchase.

My other ukes are solid wood and I'll take them to friends houses, but I prefer not to take them out into more public areas unless they have heavy duty cases.

My favorite case to use for instruments is Zero Manufacturing Corp's "Centurion 100X" line.
http://www.zerocases.com/pdf/carrying.pdf

Last edited:
Aloha Mike,
Have to say, I really don't even want to take my lower end ukes out...but that's me...
and my premimum ones ....not a chance.... and my customs, well you know already...he he MM Stan

My flea or fluke. That's exactly why I got them in the first place.

I take my Eddy Finn EF-5 Tenor of course :) Planning on hauling it to my Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ride in Death Valley this October too!

After hauling guitars all over the country for years, it is a joy to have a travel instrument that I really love to play.

Peace

Michael

I've taken my Woody's Round-Up with me on a recent trip to the west coast and found that after playing it over the weekend that it doesn't sound as bad as I had originally thought since I only had my KoAloha concert to compare it to. I'll take the Woody to Yosemite in July and when I go do Cycle Oregon in September. I may eventually get a Flea/Fluke though.

However on future trips to Hawaii I can't see not taking my KoAloha. It's in an Uke Crazy black checkered hard case.

Leolani tenor mahogany laminate. $100 bucks at Sam's Club Hawaii and it is really a great player and can hold its own against the Ks.

As an added bonus the case it came with rocks. I just used to it transport a KoAloha tenor back from Hawaii, although it was a snug fit, and it is now one of my favorite travel cases. Its like a Ukecrazy canvas and foam case but has heavier duty canvas, zippers and velcro neck strap. It also has backpack straps as well as a handle at the top of the neck. That's a great addition because it allowed me to use it with my roll aboard. I just held that handle along with the handle of the roll aboard and pulled it along. The case laid across the roll aboard well above the floor. It also has large rubber feet on the bottom length and on the bottom of the lower bout. The lower bout feet allow you to just put the case down when holding it by the headstock handle and it stands all by itself. Wonderful for airport use since you don't have to bend down to pick up the case.

I guess I'll have to do a review at some point for the case itself!

Last edited:
Makala Dolphin in Candy Apple Red, lovingly named "Ono". I take her everywhere, even school, where I like to serenade my friends every morning.

Leolani tenor mahogany laminate. $100 bucks at Sam's Club Hawaii and it is really a great player and can hold its own against the Ks.

As an added bonus the case it came with rocks. I just used to it transport a KoAloha tenor back from Hawaii, although it was a snug fit, and it is now one of my favorite travel cases. Its like a Ukecrazy canvas and foam case but has heavier duty canvas, zippers and velcro neck strap. It also has backpack straps as well as a handle at the top of the neck. That's a great addition because it allowed me to use it with my roll aboard. I just held that handle along with the handle of the roll aboard and pulled it along. The case laid across the roll aboard well above the floor. It also has large rubber feet on the bottom length and on the bottom of the lower bout. The lower bout feet allow you to just put the case down when holding it by the headstock handle and it stands all by itself. Wonderful for airport use since you don't have to bend down to pick up the case.

I guess I'll have to do a review at some point for the case itself!
Aloha Ronnie,
I second with you on the Leolani tenor...awesome uke and among my top favorite...hard to find a better sounding uke and it is up there with the K's...Like Ronnie, I got the case, tuner and uke for 89.00 plus
tax....I'd never let this one go...

Usually my Flea. My dolphin has been out on loan for a while now. Used to bring my Kamaka soprano everywhere in a cheap gig bag until I realized how terrible of an idea that is. :B

If I have to choose quickly, or if it is a hot day I grab the concert neck Flea (Camp design). If I think there might be others who might want to play too, I might also bring a dolphin. I now always have an electronic tuner in my small backpack.

–Lori

I usually take my Lanikai when I travel. I am going to Hawaii next month, and I was thinking I was going to take my Emil Bader concert but maybe I will just buy a Leolani Tenor while I am there and make THAT my new travel ukulele!

Only got one - Mele Mahogany Tenor - and it goes everywhere.

I traveled a lot for work in the late 90's and early 2000's in the US and to Europe and the Middle East. I always took a Baby Taylor guitar or a mandolin. Had some great experiences. I sat on the shore of the Persian Gulf in three different countries and played guitar, jammed with a street musician in Bern, Switzerland, and jammed from 3:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. in Heathrow with a German guy. Now I take a Pono tenor everywhere.

Kala Soprano for me. Soon to be replaced by a sailor soprano when I sell one of my unicycles :)

Top Bottom