Goth? uke update?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I don't know if I ever updated ya'll on the Goth uke project.

Well, I decided against the red pin stripe, I think it would have been too tacky and too gaudy. So, I just opted for the blood red rosette, and headstock design. Now, I know we talked about the Goth concept to appeal to a specific kid I had targeted for this uke, because kind of a subtle "Gothy" kid. He has seen this uke, and really likes it, even after I told him my inspiration for it, and it's meaning. With that, he thought it was even cooler knowing it's sybolism.

Now to get a little spiritual with ya for a moment. It is flat black which symbolizes the dark life, and road us humans are on. The blood red on the uke sybolizes the blood of Christ, and how that blood can remove us from our dark fate without him in our lives. The symbol on the headstock is one of the oldest symbols known of Christ. This symbol was before the "fish" or even the cross in Christiananity. I wanted something different than just the same old fish or cross symbolizing my faith on this. This symbol of "Chi Rho" is it.

Now, just need to put the tuners back on, strings and set it up. The kid doesn't know this uke is his yet..

Hope you like it..

christuke2.jpg

Aloha Tudorp,
wow it sure looks awesome..and doesn't even look like a Rogue anymore....I love my Rogue....he he thanks for sharing...MM Stan

That's pretty cool what you do for your local kids. I'm sure he is going to be stoked about that uke. Hard to imagine something warm and plinky coming out of that "goth" uke.

That's a great idea. Particularly putting the 'Chi Rho' symbol on there.

love the headstock!! my cousin has that symbol tattooed on his foot ;) its a great way to display your faith and be a witness to the kid. I love the uke!!

Well, the cool thing about it is this. This kid is finding out that you can be a Faithful Christian man, and still be cool, and non-judgemental of other lifestyles. He actually said casually a few weeks ago, "It's cool that not all Christians are weird nerds..." I guess that was a compliment, hahhaha..

Well, the cool thing about it is this. This kid is finding out that you can be a Faithful Christian man, and still be cool, and non-judgemental of other lifestyles. He actually said casually a few weeks ago, "It's cool that not all Christians are weird nerds..." I guess that was a compliment, hahhaha..

Definitely. Especially with some peoples only idea of "christians" lately being those from Westboro baptist, they can be very surprised when they found out we arent all like that ;)

That is very cool, the Uke and the story behind it.
Keep doin' the good work.
Joe

Well, today was the day. I was on the porch playing the uke today, and that Gothy kid walks by. At first he didn't notice me on the porch, but as soon as he saw me there playing, he came over and up on the porch. We talked for a few minutes, then I told him to wait here, I want to show ya something.. I went in and got the "Goth" uke and brought it out. Played a tune on it, and his eyes lit up. He said that was the coolest looking uke he has seen (He hasn't seen many mind you, lol). He REALLY liked it. I told him I knew he was steriotyped as a "Goth", and this Uke might "look" goth, but it isn't really. He looked puzzeld. I told him what it was to me. I told him, sure it's cool looking. But the flat black color to me sybolizes my life before I became a Christian. It is the road I was on. The red, shows up very bright on the dark color. It symbolized the blood of Christ that lights my way in a dark world. It's what I focus on the most. The symbol on the headstock is the "Chi Roh", the oldest known symbol for Christ, and is made from the first two greek letters in the name Christ. That is what this uke is to me kiddo.. He thought that was really cool. I handed it too him. He said he would play a Uke that looked this cool. I told him to play it then. It's yours.. The kid stepped out of his "cool' persona for a uncontrolled second and lit up.. He was really tickled, and tried to hide the goofy excitment. But then went back to maintain his "cool". He teared up a little bit, and looked me straight in the eyes, which he rarely does. He said "Mr. Huguley... This is probably the coolest thing anyone has ever done, or given to me... Thanks...Thanks so much.. I love it... "

Made me tear up... We nabbed another into the Uke world I think.. <grin> He walked slowly down the sidewalk from the house, strummin incohearently on his uke.. Was cool.. It really was.. I love it..

NEXT?

Kurt,

I hate to say this, but I know allot of "Christians" like that too.. I have to admit, I am not a regular church goer. I am not what they call one of those that try to pound people with the Bible. I try my best as a human to live and abide by it, but, I have seen so many Christians make people run fast in the other direction to get away from them. What is that going to accomplish. I go where ever I feel God wants, or needs me to go. I used to, and will again as I gain my strenth from my health issues, but I used to be a part of sort of a "Rebel" Christian group, that didn't belong to any specific church. We lived out lives as we felt Christ would if he walked the earth in the modern day. We went out in some very bad urban areas, and picked drug addicts, cast away prostitutes, homeless kids living on the streets. We fed them, talked TOO them, not AT them, and let them talk and we LISTENED to them. We showed compasion to our fellow people when most of society cast them away. We brought many to their own spiritalality, and relationship with Christ. We made them know that God didn't care what they did yesterday, all he cares about is what you do today, and tomorrow. Most of us in that group are not the "typical" Christians either. Many churches wouldn't even let them in, because they are ex drug dealers, ex-hookers, bikers, and convicts themselves, and know what it's like to be cast away from society. THESE are the Christian people that a church may not want, but they are the ones on the streets helping people that need the help, not sitting in a pew patting each other on the back. That is how Christ lived. He was out with the people helping those that needed it, and couldn't help themselves. That was and is our charter as Christians. We are/were a rough lookin bunch, but it took us rebels to reach allot of people that a suit and tie bible thumper couldn't.. hehheh..

Anway.. That's what I try to be. And I will hit the streets with the group again when I am physically able to. I love that type of work.. Dangerous, and not for everybody, and I understand that. But if ya got the gut and nerves to do it, that's where the people are that need us the most..

Anyway.. Off my soapbox.. hehheh

As I said, Tony - you are a Mensch.

One of the guys I worked with years ago on the Fire Department was Born Again. (I used to ask him how many times he planned to be born, before he got it right. His answer, with a smile, was "As many as it takes." I thought that was the best possible answer.) Many of the othe guys called him "Father John", because he had completely turned his life around after finding Jesus.

I didn't care - I didn't know him before hand. i do know that he and his family were just plain good people, and Did Good.

One day John told me that even though I was Jewish, I was more of a Christian than most of the "Christians" he knew. I just smiled, and said that the original message was clear, and it didn't matter who you got it from, just as long as you got it right.

I was reminded of that not long ago when a local church put up a billboard telling people that "Everyone is welcome - there is no fine print or footnote to this message."

Bringing joy to a single person is more than many of us ever get to do. You do it often, and for that I thank you.

-Kurt

As I said, Tony - you are a Mensch.

One of the guys I worked with years ago on the Fire Department was Born Again. (I used to ask him how many times he planned to be born, before he got it right. His answer, with a smile, was "As many as it takes." I thought that was the best possible answer.) Many of the othe guys called him "Father John", because he had completely turned his life around after finding Jesus.

I didn't care - I didn't know him before hand. i do know that he and his family were just plain good people, and Did Good.

One day John told me that even though I was Jewish, I was more of a Christian than most of the "Christians" he knew. I just smiled, and said that the original message was clear, and it didn't matter who you got it from, just as long as you got it right.

I was reminded of that not long ago when a local church put up a billboard telling people that "Everyone is welcome - there is no fine print or footnote to this message."

Bringing joy to a single person is more than many of us ever get to do. You do it often, and for that I thank you.

-Kurt

Yup. People like to use the term like do the Christian thing, but I like the term Do the right thing better, because there are good devout people in many religions. All of us think we are right, but it also says in God's word, and I truely believe this, is that we are not to argue over the trivial things which allot of "religion" is all about, arguing over who worships the right way, and who the wrong way. I believe Christ as the son of God, and I accept him as my savior, but that is not going to stop me from befriending a Jew, or anyone else for that matter. I don't argue over what's right and whats the wrong way to worship. I preach on compasion for mankind in general and how I see God would want us to do. I dont care what color you are, what faith ya are, I am going to help whoever I can and make a difference, and give God the glory for making me that way. Not for my own horn tooting. if I am out of hands to reach out with, ya might get a leg and foot, but Im gonna try to do what I can to help a brutha that needs it, lol... It's not my way, it's God's way, and I truly believe that. We're all in this pot of mush together.

Some people call me nuts, epspeically some "Christians" because the group I work with on the streets go and do what we do. The last one I was physically able to participate in was taking over a public park in a real bad area in south Chicago. Kid's never played there because of all the drug traffic, and gun play there. It was pretty much a drug fleamarket. Now my bunch, we normally dress in tactical battle gear as a symbolism of what we call "Spiritual Warfare". And many of us are big, hairy, tattooed phyco looking guys and gals (not me though of course, lol). And when we took that park over for a day in Chicago, and called the neighbor kids to come out and play in their park. It was awesome, and people thought we had lost our minds, hahhah.. We set up a huge tent and had a big grill where we cooked burgers and hot dogs for the really depressed neighborhood. Had games, basket ball, girl games and all for the kids to do. We stole that park for a day and evening. The sad thing was women that cried watching their kids play, because many were 4-8 or so years old, and the moms said that their kids never ever played in the park because it was too dangerous. This was the first time they got to see their kids run and play in that park. That made me tear up brother.. Was confirmation we were doing the right thing.. Not gonna get into the scary situation I ran into confronting a drug dealer that came in to try and take "his" park back. Scary, but held my ground, and the guy backed off.. Anyway.. again, that sort of thing isn't for the weak hearted.. But, ya can't beat the feeling of acomplishment.

Anyway, it's cool.. and is just the right thing to do.. Thats all it is..

ok.. Im gonna share this, and sorry that it isn't uke related, but since we are on the subject, this was funny and in that park in south chicago I was talking about. I didn't know this picture was taken until a week or so later and it surfaced. But, it was minutes before I confronted that drug dealer. The funny thing is people that see it always say, "Tony it is good that you reach out to kids, and sitting talking to that kid is cool.." Well, the funny part is, that aint a kid. He is a grown, average sized man, lol.. I am so freaking huge, it made him look like a kid. In fact, i think the guy was older than I am, hahhah.. He was an alcoholic, and having some rough spiritual battles of his own. So, I sat down with him and let him talk it out. He said getting to talk to someone that was not judging him was nice. I hope it was, and it did seem to help him. But, during this, that gate in front of us. A gang banger car drives by very slow. Stops right at us, and we were stared at by the guy inside as he hung out of the passinger window. He glared at me. The guy I was sitting with jumped up and started to bolt. But I grabbed him and pulled him back down and told him he wasn't going anywhere.. this was HIS park for the day. He was about to shat himself. The guy in the car says, "You need to get the (Words I didn't understand <grin> out of MY hood...). I stared him down and told him "it was MY hood today, so either come in and grab a burger and talk to me, or move on...". He glared at me for a bit, then rolled off.. It was then the guy I was with told me who he was, and that car there was many drive-by shootings from that car around there.. All I could say was, "Well, we're still here my friend..." But, anyway.. That is what the group I am with does in our spare time. i can't wait to get back on the streets myself..
042107a.jpg

ok.. Im gonna share this, and sorry that it isn't uke related, but since we are on the subject, this was funny and in that park in south chicago I was talking about. I didn't know this picture was taken until a week or so later and it surfaced. But, it was minutes before I confronted that drug dealer. The funny thing is people that see it always say, "Tony it is good that you reach out to kids, and sitting talking to that kid is cool.." Well, the funny part is, that aint a kid. He is a grown, average sized man, lol.. I am so freaking huge, it made him look like a kid. In fact, i think the guy was older than I am, hahhah.. He was an alcoholic, and having some rough spiritual battles of his own. So, I sat down with him and let him talk it out. He said getting to talk to someone that was not judging him was nice. I hope it was, and it did seem to help him. But, during this, that gate in front of us. A gang banger car drives by very slow. Stops right at us, and we were stared at by the guy inside as he hung out of the passinger window. He glared at me. The guy I was sitting with jumped up and started to bolt. But I grabbed him and pulled him back down and told him he wasn't going anywhere.. this was HIS park for the day. He was about to shat himself. The guy in the car says, "You need to get the (Words I didn't understand <grin> out of MY hood...). I stared him down and told him "it was MY hood today, so either come in and grab a burger and talk to me, or move on...". He glared at me for a bit, then rolled off.. It was then the guy I was with told me who he was, and that car there was many drive-by shootings from that car around there.. All I could say was, "Well, we're still here my friend..." But, anyway.. That is what the group I am with does in our spare time. i can't wait to get back on the streets myself..
042107a.jpg

You are truly inspirational dude. You are how a true Christian should be. I feel really led to inner city missions like that, and I hope I get the opportunity to do it soon. The way you helped that kid with ukulele, and the way you helped that neighborhood is truly inspiring.

Thanks.. but.. It's not me.. It's God in me... I do what I do because I felt led to... I do have a huge draw towards innercity youth, and underprivledged kids in general. I am not a city boy, but the inner city kids really strike a chord in me. But, it really reaches to the city all the way to the rural underprivileged kids too.. Someday, Im gonna be out there with them again real soon..

Thanks.. but.. It's not me.. It's God in me...

Amen :) I will hopefully have the opportunity to do inner city work in Memphis this summer through Home School Missions (HSM), which would be an amazing opportunity. I really hope God can use me to help them in some way.

Here's another lil girl that really got in my heart. She was very withdrawn, and had such a sad face. I was sitting in my wheelchair at one of my last outings, and this mother and little girl came up to our truck. We were serving food on the streets again. This little girl out of the blue just came and crawled up in my lap. Her mother was so shocked and said she never goes to anybody, especially someone she doesn't know. Its hard to get her to come to people she does know. But this little kid wouldn't let go of me. I wanted to take her home.. But, I had to give her back to her mom.. lol.. That was a cool day too.. How could anyone NOT want to serve people? The big kid, is my youngest son.

76474_179646678717797_100000173975723_682975_1988021_n.jpg

You make me smile.
You are filled with Aloha.

Amen :) I will hopefully have the opportunity to do inner city work in Memphis this summer through Home School Missions (HSM), which would be an amazing opportunity. I really hope God can use me to help them in some way.

Hopefully you will. Any opertunity to do the right thing should be jumped on. Our payment for service is two fold. One, not of this earth. The other the satifaction that ya made a difference, even if it was for one person's life.

Top Bottom