Do I need a humidifier for my ukes if I live in Los Angeles, CA?

Cheeso

Reaction score
I now have a Kamaka, and I'll be getting a Ko-Aloha soon, and I'm wondering if I need a humidifier, living in Los Angeles, where it is not exactly dry.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it just a good idea to get humidifiers anyway?

Thanks!

When you say "Los Angeles" what part are you referring to? The reason I ask - I'm in Santa Monica, where it's humid enough that I don't bother with one; however, my uke-playing friends who live in places like Hollywood, Pasadena, and the Valley all say it gets dry enough there that it's necessary.

The best thing to do is check the humidity in the case and see if you need a humidifier. I live very near the beach, my guitar tech tells me to use humidifiers because the salt water moisture is not absorbed into the instruments.
I bought a hygrometer at Radio Shack, I can move it from case to case as needed to make sure everything is good. Some of the newer cases have built in hygrometers.

Do you use an air conditioner? They dry out the air....

When you say "Los Angeles" what part are you referring to? The reason I ask - I'm in Santa Monica, where it's humid enough that I don't bother with one; however, my uke-playing friends who live in places like Hollywood, Pasadena, and the Valley all say it gets dry enough there that it's necessary.

I live in Alhambra, which is near Pasadena.

The best thing to do is check the humidity in the case and see if you need a humidifier. I live very near the beach, my guitar tech tells me to use humidifiers because the salt water moisture is not absorbed into the instruments.
I bought a hygrometer at Radio Shack, I can move it from case to case as needed to make sure everything is good. Some of the newer cases have built in hygrometers.

Thanks for the tip, I think I will do that.

I live in west LA, and I have seen the humidity fall to 17% on a day with Santa Ana winds. I have humidifiers in every case.

–Lori

Would love to hear the explanation on that- Water vapor in the air is water vapor in the air (humidity) as far as I understand it, and it does not carry salt. Salt spray on the other hand I am sure acts like a desiccant to wood if the salt builds up on the surface.

I swear uke players are obsessed with humidity far beyond any guitarist I've ever met. :p

I have never humidified any of my instruments, and they are all just doing fine.

Of course, as mentioned, running AC when it's hot or the heater when it's cold will affect indoor humidity.

When not being played, all my instruments are kept safe in their cases. Some people like to keep their ukes on display with wall racks, but I really don't recommend that.

I live in Alhambra, which is near Pasadena.
I'm fairly near Pasadena as well.

If you're interested, there's going to be a "meet-up" near the Rose Bowl this coming Sunday, April 10, at 3:00pm. I missed the first one, but am hoping to make it this time. Maybe I'll see you there. :)

http://www.meetup.com/Ukulele-Pasadena/

Am I obsessed? Being new to ukes, I purchased a Herco and Dampit and wet them once a week. I've had several guitars but never humidified them. I live in Cerritos, CA but live w/ the Aircon/Heater on constantly. I guess I'm ok as long as I don't get mold. lol

Am I obsessed? Being new to ukes, I purchased a Herco and Dampit and wet them once a week. I've had several guitars but never humidified them. I live in Cerritos, CA but live w/ the Aircon/Heater on constantly. I guess I'm ok as long as I don't get mold. lol
Air Conditioners have de-humidifiers in them. The Santa Ana winds can be pretty bad too (17% humidity where I live, and that is less than 4 miles from the beach). I doubt you will get mold in Cerritos unless you put them in a greenhouse. I have a classical guitar that stays in it's case, and it never had a problem. But I think it is a laminate, so the risk is reduced. I always attend to my humidifiers for my collection of ukes. I would feel very unhappy if one cracked due to my negligence. I have a mini decorative wall hanger uke made of koa, and it has had some cracking issues, so I am careful with the real ukes.
–Lori

Top Bottom