PDA

View Full Version : mgm clearance sales

MGM
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Dur to my severe health prolem escalating I am having to downsize and am clearing my warehouse of some great ukes look for specials on some great ukes on my facebook and you know where i have also contacted sever carpel tuneel in my let hand and can no longer play uulele at this moment as my doctors work on a solution. We are also in the process of moving so thinhs are hectic. Aloha to all

Tudorp
04-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Perfect timing. I am considering a tenor uke for my wife. I would love to see what you have for her. What is your facebook link?
Hope you work out your health issues for the better. God Bless

Rzr
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Get better soon.

janeray1940
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Aloha Mike, I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Sorry to hear of your poor health.

Can you post a link to your FB page? I saw one with your name but wasn't sure if you were posting there, or had another business page elsewhere. Thanks!

didgeridoo2
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Aloha mike. Take care and get well soon. Best of luck with the move.

olgoat52
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Found him.. https://www.facebook.com/michael.aratani?ref=ts

Michael. I hope you find your way through this unfortunate turn of events. You always came off as a straight shooter and it was always great to do business with you.

Tim

LoMa
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I am real sorry to hear this, Micael.
My best to you!

SailingUke
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Mike,
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Your knowledge and service has always been great and you have been a major contributor to ukulele community.
Hope to see you at some festivals soon.

sukie
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Prayers for your health, MGM. Not play ukulele? I'm sorry. Good luck with the move.

MGM
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
the worst thing is i can no longer play afeecting me more than my illness. My fingers are so weak and the tips are numb... while i wait for the docs anyone else had this happen

Shin
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I hope great business with you again. Get well soon.

olgoat52
04-05-2011, 10:47 AM
the worst thing is i can no longer play afeecting me more than my illness. My fingers are so weak and the tips are numb... while i wait for the docs anyone else had this happen

Is it both hands or just one of them?

WhenDogsSing
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Dur to my severe health prolem escalating I am having to downsize and am clearing my warehouse of some great ukes look for specials on some great ukes on my facebook and you know where i have also contacted sever carpel tuneel in my let hand and can no longer play uulele at this moment as my doctors work on a solution. We are also in the process of moving so thinhs are hectic. Aloha to all

Mike, I wish you the very best, regarding both your health issues and business changes. I've noticed that your inventory has been declining and was wondering what might be going on. Take care my friend.

AncientMatingCalls
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Somebody buy the sceptre, please, before I cave!

Mike, I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure things will get better.

Gmoney
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Somebody buy the sceptre, please, before I cave!

What's the Link?!?!

SailQwest
04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Best wishes for you, Mike.

Gmoney
04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
WOW, so sorry to hear about your plight. Like many others, I bought my first uke from you, and many items since that first purchase. You have done so much for the ukulele world & enabled many of us to enjoy this wonderful little instrument. Hope that your doctors get you better quickly!

Cheeso
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Just try to add you there, hope you get well soon.

haole
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Feel better soon, Mike! Take it easy, and hopefully you'll be uking again in no time.

brucemoffatt
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Hoping for the best outcome for you health-wise Mike. Take care man, thinking of you.

Ronnie Aloha
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear about this Mike. I'll be praying for you.

bobmyers
04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm new to UU but you are a legend. I am looking for an exceptional instrument in concert size for the $500 range. What can you recommend . I currently own a Pono PKC-2e in mint condition, but woul like to upgrade to one of the K's.
Bob

olgoat52
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM

I started to get carpal tunnel about 4 to 5 years ago. I write software for a living. I changed my work environment pretty radically and I was able to reverse the affects of it.

Not knowing what repetitive activity is causing your problem, this may not help but...

I invested in an articulating keyboard tray mounted below the desk top (pinnacle arm with Workrite lbanana board) and got a Kinesis Maxim split keyboard.

It relieved the tension between my shoulders and the carpal tunnel issues I had in both wrists.

All the best.

GVlog
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your health problems, Mike. Hope you recover soon.

OldePhart
04-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Really sorry to hear this, Mike. Hope the doctors get both problems straightened out soon.

I've been flirting with carpal tunnel for about a year now, nowhere near enough to need surgery yet but enough that it limits what I can do. One thing I had to do is greatly simplify my bass playing - no stretching for chord shapes, more moving my entire hand up and down the fret board. At one point I thought I was going to have to give up the bass completely - even bought a UBASS and used it for a while. However, between simplifying my playing and wearing a wrist wrap to bed every night I was able to see enough recovery that it mostly doesn't bother me now - as long as I remember to avoid the long stretches and remember to wear my wrist wrap every night.

Again, hope you get better soon.

John

Lori
04-05-2011, 11:33 AM
So sorry to hear about your problem! As a second angle of attack on the problem you might what to check out this book. http://www.amazon.com/Carpal-Syndrome-Therapy-Computer-Professionals/dp/0965510999
In a nutshell, sometimes the problem is from a pinched nerve near the neck, or somewhere else. In those cases a carpel tunnel operation won't cure it. Hope you can figure it all out, and start to get some physical therapy for it. I know that with time, you can get good results if you get the right treatment early enough.
–Lori

UkuEroll
04-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your illness. I know how it feels, being ill is bad enough, but even worse when it stops you doing somthing that you love. Hope things come good for you.

Lexxy
04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear MGM.. God bless and wish you a speedy recovery!

PhilUSAFRet
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Lots of prayers for you braddah! I had carpal tunnel from computer use. Got treatment, wore brace, rested it, it went, hasn't come back, but I'm more careful now. When it was time to start exercising my hand, I had the best luck using one of those "putty" filled balloons....hard to find how. 10 times better than any hand exerciser I've used (sponge ball, etc.) Amazing how effective with such gentle effort. Can start out squeezing ever so gently, doesn't hurt but still works! Best wishes

Tantal
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Hope you get better. Like Lori said, start looking in doing physio for it. I had a similar issue from working too long hours at a computer and drawing too much. I pulled back big time from work and forced myself to re-evaluate the situations that caused the problem. Changed work setup, the equipment I used and did a lot of physio. Whatever weakness your ligaments might have, you need to build muscle to compensate and bring good blood flow in the affected area.

Wearing a brace when working at a computer will help force you into good habits. Not sure if you could use it to play the Uke. Above all see what your doctor says.

SweetWaterBlue
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
So sorry to hear this Mike. I had noticed that you didn't seem to be around as much lately, and others commented that too, and we all missed you. As others have said, you have done so much for the uke community and are just an all around good guy. My mom has a problem with all of her extremities (feet, hands). Hers is called peripheral neuropathy. I hope your doctors find a solution for you. Her doctors tell her this isn't much they can do except give her pills that make zone her out.

guitharsis
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
So sorry, Michael. Wishing you a complete recovery.

cb56
04-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Get well soon Mike. said a prayer for healing for you.

hmgberg
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Mike. Hope you get relief soon.

itsme
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear this, Mike. You'll be in my thoughts.

I've been coping with carpal tunnel for many years. One thing that has helped is I take 200 mg of B-6 twice a day. It supposedly works as a natural diuretic and prevents a build-up of fluids within the carpal tunnel itself, which can cause extra pressure and therefore pain.

B vitamins are water soluble, any excess your body can't use will just come out in your urine. I remember reading that it could take a month or two to really kick in, but I started noticing improvement in only a couple weeks. Might be worth asking your doctor about.

ombracorta
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm so sorry for you Mike! I hope you'll get better soon!

kenikas
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Wishing you a quick recovery Mike, as many others have said you got me started with the uke and I will be forever grateful. I had wondered where you had gone, Friday Follies really has really been missed at least by me.
Get well soon!

dkcrown
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM

I had something similar happen to me about ten years ago, Mike. I lost all strength in my fingers in my right hand and the tips went numb. It turned out that I had severe nerve damage to my ulnar nerve. It took a long to heal enough to get reasonable mobility and strength back. I was amazed at how quickly the muscles in my arm atrophied. Nerves take a long time to heal themselves. One doctor thought I had MS. In the end, accupuncture helped quite a bit. And I am a skeptical person when it comes things like that.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Mike.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
You're in our thoughts and prayers Mike. I surely hope to see you in July. Get well. That's an order!

Maiyah888
04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Dear Mike, I had carpal tunnel for 2 years, and with Reiki and other energy work, I'm back to 95%.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. I'd love help you in any way I can, especially considering your outstanding contributions to the uke-ing community, including my first uke this January.

All good wishes to you for your health and happiness.

Kanaka916
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Eh Brah, you take care of yourself first, your health mo important. Malama Pono

Nuprin
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Get well Mike!!!

Hippie Dribble
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
sad to hear of these things Mike. You will be in our prayers too.

Pippin
04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your medical issue, MGM. I had a friend that was one of the best finger-pickin' guitarists I have ever known, and a fantastic fly tyer and fly fisherman. Jimmy had surgery for his carpal tunnel issues and he was good as new after the recovery process. Unfortunately, Jimmy passed away while fly fishing on the Delaware River in the Catskills. They found him holding his flyrod. He was born to flyfish and the best fisherman I have ever known... and a good friend. His name was Jimmy Charron.

Bradford
04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Just like to add my well wishes to the rest Mike. I have always enjoyed your posts and videos. I'll smudge with some sweet grass, sage and cedar for you.

Brad

heymak
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Still happy with the uke I got from you. My wife has hand numbness that is a result of the cholesterol medicine she was taking. Many meds can cause this side effect. Might ask your Doc if any of your meds could cause this.

pithaya9
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike I am so sorry to hear about your health declining. My prayers are with you and your family. It makes me sad to think of you not being able to play and give us those wonderful tunes. Here's hoping the docs can get you playing again. I also want to thank you for all of the great KoAloha ukes that you allowed me to purchase from you. Actually all of my KoAlohas were purchased from Mike.

Jack

Plainsong
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm proud to have gotten some great ukes from you, including my first. Get that hand and wrist seen to. Both my parents had similar symptoms and it wasn't carpal tunnel, it was neuro related, but they both recovered 100%. Also I hear a wrist brace at night really helps, as has already been linked. Whatever happens, please don't be a stranger.

pdxuke
04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Aloha, Mike. Be well and recover. I look forward to supporting you any way I can.

mm stan
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Aloha Mike,
Sorry to hear of your health issues, I hope they both improve....sorry to hear you are unable to play too...I hope they gave you some wrist braces to wear overnight and prescribed you
some massage and theraphy....Said my prayers for you to improve...God's Blessings Man....Malama Pono and I hope you have a speedy recovery...MM Stan

sonicbaker
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery MGM!

hopkid
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Adding my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Do whatever you need to in order to get better. It's all about quality of life.

I will be forever grateful for you patiently answering my questions about ukes when I was trying to decide what to buy for my first. I love the KoAloha concert that I purchased from you in January.

SuzukHammer
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I'll try to send something your way. Best wishes.

WestPhillyUke
04-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Best wishes to you, Mike. Get well soon!

John

ukunuke
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Mike: I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You're one of the reasons that I've become involved in this community. Your love of music and the uke is infectious. Rest up, get the best medical care possible and don't lose faith . . . stuff works out for good people and obviously, there are a lot of people who KNOW you're good people. We're with ya!

Chris Tarman
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Aloha Mike,
I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. You've been instrumental in getting me involved with this wonderful instrument. I bought my first REAL ukulele from you a little over 2 years ago, and my latest (the Kiwaya KTS-7) from you in Denver in February, along with a couple of others in between. You're one of the very best music dealers I've ever dealt with (if not THE best). Get better soon, so you can continue to raid our pocketbooks!
Chris

FreakyBob
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
When I think back on the laughter and joy I saw in the vids of you and the crew jamming in your shop - I get the feeling that you'll be back playing something. Too much fun to miss out on Bro! Oh and I'm another one of your firsts. You take care.

the52blues
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
My prayers are with you Mike. I may not be that far behind you. I have arthritis that flares up once in a while and prevents me from playing. I also have it in my legs making it difficult to walk or stand for even short periods of time. You have always been a "sure thing" for the uke buying community with your great set-ups and customer service. We would hate to lose you. Looking for a miracle for you!

southcoastukes
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Hello Mike,

I know well how devastating it can be to have a passionate avocation snatched away. This news make me sick.

I wish I could help, but in reading the previous posts, I am encouraged that others have found a way out of similar afflictions and I am optimistic for the same for you.

Everyone is pulling for you, and we'll be watching for the news that a turnaround has begun. Please stay in touch (without typing too much).

Nickie
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Mike, all I can do is echo what the others have said here. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Teek
04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Absolutely sending all best wishes your way!

+1 on previous posts about B6 and braces. I had carpal so bad about 12 years ago, I could barely manage open the door to my old truck from the outside with both hands pushing the button. I had no wrist strength, and I had to rest my arms wrist up on a soft pillow to sleep at night. Anything even brushing the inside of my wrists hurt. I found a good chiropractor who was able through intense massage to break down adhesions in the muscles in my forearms, and adjust me regularly from wrists to shoulders. He said carpal often is an issue further up in the arms as well as wrists. My arms were black and blue and green and purple for about 3 months, but he cured it. Now that I'm older I still have to be careful of over use, and I also have arthritis in my hands and fingertips. It was so bad I couldn't even strum or pick a uke sometimes for weeks, and barely type for work, but I have to work. I started on a supplement called TripleFlex by Nature Made that is chondroitin, MSM and glucosamine, and it worked wonders, I really feel the difference if I miss it. It has helped my back and knees too.

Also as noted previously, any statins can cause awful muscle pain and cramping and muscle weakness. My Mom had symptoms that kept getting worse, everything hurt and cramped and she could hardly climb the stairs in her house. We got her off the statins and it all reversed. Medicine isn't always miraculous, sometimes it's just about big profits.

One of the things that really gave me awesome results for a condition that scared the crap out of me that was diagnosed as radicular neuropathy and was actually vertebrae compressing nerves in my neck, that made a nasty radiating pain and numbness down my arms and hands was a theraputic laser treatment, via my last chiropractor. They use them in sports medicine and rehab. He had a patient who was going in for her third back operation, and after several treatments with this canceled it. It cured my problem with my neck in about 8 treatments over two months, and I was going to go back for a carpal treatment and my insurance carrier changed. However, I think this is an incredible treatment, it creates a very deep heat that stimulates blood flow and relieves inflamation, and it works on muscles and nerves. You need one of the newer units that is more intense. The advantage is it often works in just a few treatments, and it is non invasive and requires no medication.

I have moved 22 times in 54 years and to me "move" is a four letter word. It's tough even under the best circumstances (I wouldn't know what those might be though), and not playing uke surely compounds that, so at least maybe listen to a lot of uke and be good to yourself every way you can.

Please check in too so we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
:shaka:

kissing
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Mike, I wish you all the best.
This reminds me of how Les Paul was in a bad traffic accident and it seemed like he would lose the ability to play guitar.
He was able to have his ability to play restored, and played til the day he died.

I hope the treatments go well for you, and that you'll be playing ukulele again soon.
Meanwhile, thanks for the sale. That Eleuke soprano is MINE!

funnyguy0804
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Get well soon Mike!
God speed and you WILL get better!!

beergeek
04-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Michael, you mean a lot to this community and the greater Uke Community at large. Please take care of yourself and know that we are all wishing you well and lifting you in our prayers.

aido
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Sad news, Mike.

I got all my ukuleles from you, along with good advice and great service.

I hope you recover your health soon and can get back to strumming and sharing in the pleasure you bring to so many of us.

mm stan
04-06-2011, 01:13 AM
I went to Mike's Facebook site but did not see any sale ukes..do you have to be his friend first to see that information....anybody know???? thank you ahead of time...

Reisman
04-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery MGM!

AncientMatingCalls
04-06-2011, 02:45 AM
I went to Mike's Facebook site but did not see any sale ukes..do you have to be his friend first to see that information....anybody know???? thank you ahead of time...I believe he has some of the clearance ukes up in his ebay store.

Howie1947
04-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy to return to health. We will say a special prayer for you this Sunday at worship.................Mike&Krispin

dukeofstraw
04-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Best of luck Mike. I haven't had the pleasure of doing business with you (yet). Hope you get better soon.

lindydanny
04-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Best wishes... Here's to hoping you bounce back.

~DB

P.S.: As long as you are still selling, I'll still be buying and suggesting you to friends (just had one buy a Tenor from you!).

Pueo
04-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Aloha Mike, I am sad to hear you are unable to play, that must be very difficult.
I hope your doctors discover a solution and you heal well soon.
Please take care of yourself!
Malama Pono!

ukulelecowboy
04-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Mike,

Jesse and I hope that you are doing better soon.

Best Wishes and hope for a speedy recovery,

Mike Kaplan and Jesse Chandler

Chef Bill
04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Lots of good thoughts and prayers coming your way Mike. Take some time to get some much-needed rest, and then hurry back - we need you!

Mahalo!

Bill Moss
Boynton Beach, FL

Berto
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
You are in my prayers... best of luck. Just bought a Uke from you, my first, and love it! It's awesome! Thank you!

lancemanion
04-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Mike, Don't give up. Get treatment, get a second opinion and don't give up hope. My Dad went through the same thing. My wife really enjoyed meeting you when she picked up several of the ukes we have bought from you at your shop. You live in a beuatiful place and have great friends, keep the faith and we are all pulling for you.

bbycrts
04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Michael -

Speedy healing! I hope this all resolves for the best - you have a lot of people who care about you - and a lot of junkies here who need their dealer to get well!

redheadedali
04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Hope you feel better soon, Mike. I'll be sending healing vibes your way! :)

perep
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Mike
Thanks for all the help in the last couple years in advice on ukes & thanks for your support for my learning this happy instrument. Sending you best wishes & get well

fabioponta
04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
MGM, my best friend on Hawaii,
all the best for you, from Brazil.
Fabio Pontarolo

geetee
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Aloha Mike,

Grateful Greg here. We did the Weissenborn for Kala Acacia Tenor swap about a year ago. I

guess you get the idea that the concern here isn't so much about the ukes as it is about YOU!

Thank you for everything you do for the 'ukulele and our community. You provide the difference

between just buying an instrument versus buying one which is actually playable.

I hope you have a speedy recovery because I'd much rather hear you play than sing.

uke552
04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I will be praying for you.

Paul December
04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
:confused: I can't find the ukes on Special, would someone please post a link?

ricdoug
04-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Mike, I know several (butchers from meat packing plants when I was recruiting for the USMC in Iowa decades back) that have had the operation with full recovery. What they all told is that it's caused by stretched tendons. The tendons are cut and then tied shorter. Just like new. Hang in there and get well soon. You're in our prayers. Ric

hopkid
04-07-2011, 04:14 AM
:confused: I can't find the ukes on Special, would someone please post a link?

Everything seems to be on his ebay store page. Sort by "Newly Listed" and you should find the specials towards the top of the list.

Musicguymic's Room (http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room)

telebob
04-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Mike - So sad to hear of the escalating health issues, compounded by the anticipated relocation of your warehouse/store. As a repeat buyer of MGM - 3 ukes! - I can attest to the high quality of service and ukuleles offered; but that's something everyone already knows... but I digress...

Sending warm thoughts, good vibes, prayers and much Aloha for a speedy recovery. :)

eddyfinnguy
04-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Mike

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.

I have had issues similar due to nueropathy, so I know it sucks.

You are in my thoughts and prayers get well soon! I hope the doctors have a good answer for you

Michael

v30
04-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Just another customer chiming in to wish you a full and speedy recovery.

joeybug
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear this, I've never brought from you, but it was my plan to in the future since you're a legend in the Ukulele world. I will hold you in my prayers and pray for a full recovery that will allow you to play, I can understand how frustrating it is not being able to play..

Best wishes

Joey

bazmaz
04-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Mike - my thoughts are with you - you are the MAN in the world of uke stores.

I am messaging because during 2010 I suffered with severe carpal tunnel on my strumming hand. It didnt majorly affect my uke playing, but affected my life terribly - I struggled to pick up a cup of coffee, let alone the kettle. Keys in doors had to be done left handed - it was horrible.

BUT - I saw a great physio and followed a very strict regime of rest and exercises. I am no doctor, so should not be giving advice publicly, but happy for you to PM me and I will tell you the things I did. It was hard work, but in about 2 months I was over the worst of it, and by 3 months on gone completely.

I was given a choice by docs - injections for ages or surgery if it didnt work. Stuff that. Saw a guy recommended by a friends - followed his tips and it WORKED!

Good luck dude

bazmaz
04-10-2011, 11:53 AM
MGM - tried to PM you - your inbox is full! !! get in touch -happy to discuss the plan I followed that worked for me.