Guitarist to Uke Player

JTF337

Reaction score
Hello ukulele-loving community,

i've been playing guitar for 4 years now and am thinking about getting into ukulele. after looking around at ukeleles, i am between the Kala KT-KCG Cedar Top Concert or the same model but a Tenor.

i know the tenor is alittle bit big and has a deeper tone. what is your opinion on the two? which do you prefer over the other and why?

I have played guitar and ukulele both for over forty years. My favorite uke size is concert. Why, it gives me more room than a soprano uke for my long fingers, yet it is more like a traditional (soprano) uke than a tenor. I also love baritones, although luthier Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah Ukes will tell you that a "bari" is not a uke at all.

I've played guitar for over 30 years and have taken up the uke in the past year or so. As a guitar player I like the concert over the tenor - have one of each, but I'm really starting to like the soprano - now have 3 of them, different makes, different woods.

I've played guitar (badly) for 15 years and as of this year, I own a soprano, a concert and a tenor uke. My favourite is the concert. I find the soprano a bit small for my fingers, the tenor feels a bit big, but the concert is just right. It's small enough to play while standing up (without a strap), has the taditional uke sound without being too small and fiddly.

I'd start with a concert and when you get addicted, you can then buy the other sizes!

I've got the Kala Cedar Top tenor. I love it. My hands get a bit cramped playing on _some_ concert models,and _most_ sopranos, but I've ended up mostly with Tenors, because of the comfort.

After about 40 years of playing guitar, which I would still do if it didn't cause intense discomfort, I find the ukulele a joy to play.

-Kurt

I also love baritones, although luthier Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah Ukes will tell you that a "bari" is not a uke at all.
Yeah, I made the mistake of bringing up baritones and he put me right in line!
So from now on if you want to talk about baritones, use the code word "hippopotamus"

Long time guitarist here, have four tenors (well, actually three in my possession and #4 is on the UPS truck and "out for delivery" any minute now), never felt the need to go smaller.

A lot of people seem to like concerts, though, so I'd say that's probably a good starting point if you're not sure. :)

I started playing acoustic guitar in 1968, and bought my first uke in 2009. I now have four sopranos, one concert, and one tenor. I like 'em all. I'm primarily a finger-style player (guitar and uke). Soprano uke is my favorite... Hardest for me to play well. All of my ukes are tuned to the standard tuning. This is what makes it so different from the guitar. That's what I was looking for.

thanks for the opinions and feedback everyone!
i think i'm leaning towards the concert.
is it true that the concert is better for chords/strumming whereas the tenor is better for finger picking and soloing? or is this just a misconception?

is it true that the concert is better for chords/strumming whereas the tenor is better for finger picking and soloing? or is this just a misconception?
You can do either on either. Listen to John King fingerpicking away on a soprano. He was an amazing player.

Some of us perhaps like a little more room for fingerpicking.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Top Bottom