PDA

View Full Version : Should I Sell My Guitar?

Maiyah888
04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
My hands are small and though I've owned the guitar since 2003, I've hardly played it.

OTOH, I've played my Makala Dolphin for at least 30 min every day since I got it (sometimes 2 hours a day).

Also, the cigar box strummer I got gets a lot of attention, as do my ocarinas.

So, I'm thinking the guitar deserves to be owned by someone who'll play it as often as I play my other instruments.

Thanks in advance for your input, all.

AetherBlue
04-05-2011, 07:17 PM
If you don't play it or plan on playing it then, yeah, I think you should. Give it away or sell it, perhaps save up for a solid wood uke. It's up to you really. =]

mm stan
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Aloha Maiyah888,
I sold all mine and bought ukes....As they were collecting dust.....lots of us guitar and bass converts here.."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Ambient Doughnut
04-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Pondering this myself - I hardly ever pick up the guitar these days and when I do it feels obscenely big and heavy. I'll probably hang onto an acoustic and a classical but the electric is getting a lot harder to justify. Plus, being a rosewood telecaster it would raise the ukulele fund considerably. But would I regret it hmmm....

rreffner
04-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Been thinking about the same thing myself. Whenever I pick up the Hummingbird it feels so HUGE. Hardly play it anymore. Oh, what to do?

BBQUKER
04-06-2011, 03:14 AM
I have a Guild that I picked up about 15 years ago for $1,200. I never play anymore and also plan to sell. Seeing as how I am about to retire, could use the extra money. Another uke maybe?

sukie
04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
You are asking ukulele people for advise?

Yes. Sell your guitar.

bazmaz
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I started with guitar then moved to uke, so hard for me to answer impartially.

That said, guitar is a tough one to learn (you think you get finger sores and cramps with uke - nothing compared to guitar!), but I read lots saying the uke helps train those stretches and muscles to make guitar playing easier.

If you reach a point with uke where it is second nature, try going back to the guitar - you never know - may make learning easier.

I say - variety is good.

itsme
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
If you had a plethora of guitars, I'd say maybe you'd want to thin the herd a bit to make room, but if you only have one, I'd say keep it. You never know when you might want to go back to it or when you might have a guitar-playing friend over and they want to jam with you.

I have an old Ibanez acoustic I never play, but when my husband has his drinking buddies over, it often comes out of the closet. They sure as heck ain't touching one of my expensive hand-made classicals, and there's really nothing they could do to hurt the Ibanez. Another scratch or ding? Oh, well, it's got plenty already. :p

Maiyah888
04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, a lot of food for thought here. I will ponder a little longer. Thanks everyone for your feedback and for sharing your own experiences!

lovinforkful
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, so you can buy another ukulele! I've burned through a lot of instruments (piano, viola, guitar, drums), and I got rid of everything except for my nice piano and keyboard. Indulge in your new hobby. ;)

LoMa
04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
If you have the room to keep it, then I'd say hold onto it.
You never know when you might be drawn back to it.

On the other hand, if it truly seems like you'd never learn to play it, then let it go!

docryf
04-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a Tanglewood Chicago 335 Semi -Acoustic and a Fenix Electro-acoustic.

Since converting to Ukulele I've hardly touched them and I can't really play them too well anyway.

I'm seriously considering selling the 335 but I will keep the Fenix because a friend of mine came to dinner a few nights ago and, as it happens, he is a guitarist so we were able to have a bit of a jam session.

Also, a few months ago, my wife was involved in a drama group and there was a girl from Russia who wanted to play guitar in her role but she hadn't brought her Guitar with her so I loaned her the Fenix.

My Uke is electro-acoustic so I'll keep my amp but I think I'll keep at least one guitar hanging about. You never know.

Hippie Dribble
04-09-2011, 07:32 PM
the thing is, you can buy a new guitar in a shop anytime. If you never play it and it's not getting used, why keep it? Sell it and buy yourself a beautiful uke, given that you're playing it 2 hours a day!!! If the guitar urge hits again, well, cross that bridge when you come to it.

haolejohn
04-09-2011, 07:37 PM
the thing is, you can buy a new guitar in a shop anytime. If you never play it and it's not getting used, why keep it? Sell it and buy yourself a beautiful uke, given that you're playing it 2 hours a day!!! If the guitar urge hits again, well, cross that bridge when you come to it.

I agree with Jon here. I gave my last guitar away to my dad. It was a mid 90s reissue telecaster with paisley floral print. Very pretty but I never played it. There are times I want to pick a guitar up again but then I say why? I love my uke. No need for guitars.

ItsMrPitchy
04-10-2011, 05:08 AM
I would say keep the guitar in case you get the urge again. Also variety is the spice of life .

harpdog cc
04-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Keep it. If it's gone and you want to play again, you'll spend more money.

ksiegel
04-10-2011, 02:05 PM
So, since you haven't mentioned it (that I've noticed....)

What kind of guitar do you have, that you're thinking of selling?

(This might help us with our suggestions, or maybe even cause one of us to make you an offer....)

-Kurt

(I'm also thinking of selling my electric hollow-body guitar, but keeping the two acoustics, so I'm following this thread carefully...)

mandrew
04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Most of my forinds who play guitar then tried a uke have sold their extra guitars! Most keep one just incase, but they still aren't playing them.

guitharsis
04-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Two beautiful luthier-made classical guitars left, one a 640mm, the other a parlor. Also a luthier made, A style, oval hole mandolin. None of these instruments get played. I've already sold two mandolins and if I decide to get another uke, one of these will have to go. Time will tell . . .

Little Island Nick
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I purchased an electric guitar as most other kids did when the British (Stones fan) invasion happened
was in a couple of garage bands learned a few chords then just stopped playing.
I retired last year and always wanted a fender so tried several and purchased a blacktop jaguar
because the scale was 24" and it was easier to bend notes and stretch as needed.
The difficulty caused me to stop playing again and stumbled onto this uke guru on you tube "Ukulele Mike"
He had how to lessons on a lot of Beatles tunes and lots of other good stuff. I decided I wanted to give the uke a try
so I found a Kala Jazz tenor (F sound holes) very cool on Craigslist and traded an old Bass I had for it and I have
been playing for a week and this is going much better than guitar. I have decided my guitar,. amp and a bass amp I
have are going on craigslist this week.
I am thinking about a concert size uke but my fingers are big enough I have problems with the E chord on my tenor
so I don't know .........
I like the looks of the Oscar Schmidt ou5lce though a tenor I love the cutaway body. The concert size ou220swk looks
good but again I am not sure about OS uks ......anyhow I am selling my guitar stuff.
Have any of you found others to play with or are you on your own?

Maiyah888
04-13-2011, 02:23 AM
I have a 3/4 Ibanez/Takamine Strat-shaped black Acoustic Electric that's been professionally fully set-up for playability.

It's adorable. When I play it, it feels good. My luthier said he's never worked on one like it before (I bought it in 2003).

It's petite, b/c I'm 5' 3". My previous guitar was standard and way too big for me.

Maiyah888
04-13-2011, 02:28 AM

The difficulty caused me to stop playing again and stumbled onto this uke guru on you tube "Ukulele Mike"
He had how to lessons on a lot of Beatles tunes and lots of other good stuff.

I decided I wanted to give the uke a try
so I found a Kala Jazz tenor (F sound holes) very cool on Craigslist and traded an old Bass I had for it and I have
been playing for a week and this is going much better than guitar.

I have decided my guitar,. amp and a bass amp I
have are going on craigslist this week.

I am thinking about a concert size uke but my fingers are big enough I have problems with the E chord on my tenor
so I don't know .........

I like the looks of the Oscar Schmidt ou5lce though a tenor I love the cutaway body. The concert size ou220swk looks
good but again I am not sure about OS uks ......anyhow I am selling my guitar stuff.

Have any of you found others to play with or are you on your own?

Hi and congrats on scoring such a nice uke as your first (*drools a little about many frets, and fantasizes about cutaway -- next year!)

I am gently converting everyone around me to uke-playing.

Last night I had my first informal meeting of HUG (Hampton Roads Ukulele Group) in my living room as a gentle segue from the weekly Energy Therapy Group Session I do every Tuesday!

We played Moon Dance from the San Jose Uke Group's Song List!

One person got everything easily (8 years of violin) and another had some trouble b/c she's got very large and powerful fingers -- I only own sopranos at present.

But everyone loved that song and sang along when they could!

*happy*

Maiyah888
04-13-2011, 02:30 AM
I have a Tanglewood Chicago 335 Semi -Acoustic and a Fenix Electro-acoustic.

Since converting to Ukulele I've hardly touched them and I can't really play them too well anyway.

I'm seriously considering selling the 335 but I will keep the Fenix because a friend of mine came to dinner a few nights ago and, as it happens, he is a guitarist so we were able to have a bit of a jam session.

Also, a few months ago, my wife was involved in a drama group and there was a girl from Russia who wanted to play guitar in her role but she hadn't brought her Guitar with her so I loaned her the Fenix.

My Uke is electro-acoustic so I'll keep my amp but I think I'll keep at least one guitar hanging about. You never know.

I love your profile pic!

I think you bring up a good point that having more music-types over might increase the guitar's chances of getting some action.

Play dates for my poor, neglected string instruments!

Maiyah888
04-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Two beautiful luthier-made classical guitars left, one a 640mm, the other a parlor. Also a luthier made, A style, oval hole mandolin. None of these instruments get played. I've already sold two mandolins and if I decide to get another uke, one of these will have to go. Time will tell . . .

Your screenname is awesome!

Hmmm, I feel a bit better b/c I'm not the only one with this type of situation.

Last night every single uke AND the Cigar Box Strummer got played, as did 2 ocarinas.

But little guitar, alas, no.

I now commit to 1 hour of guitar per week. As UU is my witness.

Maiyah888
04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I played my guitar for about 5 minutes yesterday.

It feels GIGANTIC!

Richie23
04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I went through the same journey; had (still have) a jumbo acoustic guitar which sat around for years as I struggled to get started. Then, a couple of years back, my other half chucked a cheap 15 soprano at me on a whim that I might like to play a musical instrument. I got hooked, and caught a bit of UAS, and within a year had gone to Concert, then tenor, then Baritone. I rarely play any other uke size than Baritone now, but have also gone back to guitar. I got a really sweet SX-Baby-E, and its neck is only a fraction larger than my Bari. I also have a Washburn Rover Travel Guitar, which is really easy to play. For me, the uke opened the way to stringed instruments, and I'm glad I kept the jumbo, which has recently been dusted down and is getting used after all these years.

Teek
04-16-2011, 12:18 AM
I currently have four, planning to list two for sale, keep the classical and the electric Pee Wee, which is like a baritone scale electric uke but with tighter spacing and two extra strings, but man it's FUN! planning on listing ukes too. I feel I have found my keepers.

If you only have one and it's nice I'd maybe keep it for now. If you find down the road you aren't picking it up or can't play anything when you do, move it on. Then you could get a baritone, which any visiting guitar playing friend could play too.

Doug W
04-16-2011, 03:59 AM
I played my guitar for about 5 minutes yesterday.

It feels GIGANTIC!
This means you have 55 minutes left of guitar practice per week and we are counting.

Maiyah888
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
^ Wow. Um, I played so much uke this week that my hands are "buzzy" So maybe I'll double up on guitar after my kids' project finishes their performance on Saturday April 30th.

In other news, I have founded www.hamptonroadsukulelegroup.com and have held 2 meetups since I put up the website on Sunday -- great times, excellent folks!

And I've signed up for the James Hill Ukulele Initiative training!

Uh oh, my poor, poor guitar.