"Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out"

H

Hippie Dribble

1923. Jimmy Cox.

blues ballad from between the wars.

I learnt the song last night and played my uke interpretation on the trusty flea this morning. It's a powerful and emotional tune, I just fell in love with it instantly. And it seems to suit the ukulele well. Hope you think so too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ur6PM5YkjU

thanks for having a look. Blessings all, eugene. :)

Aloha Eugene,
Just love the song and that bluesy tune....sweet man and your renditon and uke interpetitation of it..Keep 'um coming bruddah...MM Stan

Aloha Eugene,
Awesome as ever....love your vids.....keep'um coming.......................BO.....................

Great voice and Playing. mega style points. You rock the blues! Thanks,
Don

thanks so much Stan, rijopogeo, Jim, Bo and Don, you guys are awesome!!!! :eek:

I found myself swaying and tapping my fingers along with your song. Always entertaining!

thanks Eric and Canoe Lady for the comments. I love his song a lot and I'm gonna try and continue to work on improving it. :eek:

Very nice! That Flea sounds awesome!

Very nicely done!

Petey

Very nice, eugene, and different than any other way I've heard it.

I'd been playing the song for about 30 years on guitar, and found it translated nicely to the uke. But I haven't figured out how to record it, and so I can't post anything. (Plus, every time I try to sign into YouTube, it tells be that I don't exist, but that's a different, and fairly existential story...)

I'll figure out how to do it someday, and email you a copy - Carrie says you're good at critiques.

BTW, I like the Flea with the pegheds - I've got a fluke, and find it has a big sound, perfect for ukulele blues.

-Kurt

Very nice, eugene, and different than any other way I've heard it.

I'd been playing the song for about 30 years on guitar, and found it translated nicely to the uke. But I haven't figured out how to record it, and so I can't post anything. (Plus, every time I try to sign into YouTube, it tells be that I don't exist, but that's a different, and fairly existential story...)

I'll figure out how to do it someday, and email you a copy - Carrie says you're good at critiques.

BTW, I like the Flea with the pegheds - I've got a fluke, and find it has a big sound, perfect for ukulele blues.

-Kurt

I will bring my video camera to the park.. and be your camera person! :)

I always envy your easy (looking) style when you strum and pick. Where did you learn to play like that - (guitar etc)?

thanks a lot Tim, Petey and SweetWaterBlue. Really appreciate the comments fellas, and that you took the time to make them.

SweetWaterBlue, I'm self taught mate, at everything I play. Never had a lesson at anything, though I wish I had looking back. Got laughed out of choir rehearsals in grade 6 and I'm still getting over that. Played acoustic guitar since I was about 18 and started writing songs ever since then. Been playing uke for a bit over 4 years, 2 seriously. Almost never even pick up the guitar now. Also I have a bit of a collection of folky type instruments; a banjo, mandolin, appalachian dulcimer, african thumb piano, harmonicas etc. Guess my style maybe is a bit different cause I just fumbled around with the string instruments and found my own way through trial and error. I really started playing music because, in my late teens I was a pretty eccentric, maudlin kind of guy and a fringe dweller and just loved writing; the guitar gave me an outlet to give voice to those writings. Like most people I've been through some pretty rough times and without music to get lost in I'm doubtful I'd even be here now. Thanks for the compliment mate. I enjoy your music too. :)

Great song Eugene, really fantastic! Your playing is top notch and your voice is very distinctive (and I mean that in a good way, I like it). Cool bit of history on the house, too...my home was built in 1860, I should play on the porch sometime when it gets warmer. :)

Top Bottom