Should I put pick ups in my new ukulele?

kraaazyugs

Reaction score
I just got a kamaka soprano that my grandma won in a raffle over thirty years ago!!! i got it for my birthday :D!!! I couldn't stop smiling the whole day. I cant decide if if i should put pick ups in it. I really feel it would be useful, but i don't wanna drill a hole in my ukulele!

- kraaazyugs:D

Yeah - that first hole is hard! I'm thinking if it's a geenyouine vintage classic you might wanna buy something a bit less expensive and drill a hole in that.

Aloha Kraaazyugs,
Congrats on getting the sweet Kamaka...oh gosh, golly no no no...don't do it..you're regret it...it survived this long, just don't ruin it...buy yourself with the money and electric uke..Keep you white label
original.. You Have a Sweet and generous Grandma, tell her I said that...Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Last edited:
no no no, just buy this pickup :p

http://www.amazon.com/Schertler-Bas...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1302167128&sr=1-2

I bought it for my Kanilea because drilling a hole in an expensive instrument is scary xD

it sounds wonderful, it realy amplifies the sound of your instrument and hardly changes it. because instead of using a piezo element it uses a sort of microphone.

you just put some of the putty that comes with the pick-up on the pickup. stick it on your uke plug it into the pre amp and then to the main amp and start playing.

and when you are done you just take of the amp put the putty back in the container and done. no drilling!

while it is rather expensive its worth it because you can amplify every acoustic instrument, even drums xD

If you go to a gig, you can just use another microphone for your instrument.

Thanks everybody!!! I dont know too much aboout the instrument itself!!! I definetly will not drill a hole in my kamaka now!

Don't do it, I just read in one of this threads about ukulele that is worth 2 grand because it is 13 years of age and you got Kamaka that is already 30 years old, it is vintage and don't ruin it buy a new ukulele that you place some pick ups.

I'm generally in favour of installing pickups on ukes.

However, a 30 year old Kamaka is extra special and vintage.
Its value can be really high when left in its original state and protected.

There are plenty of great acoustic-electric ukes available. I would leave the Kamaka virginal from pickups :)

Uh, no. I would get one that is already acoustic electric, keep the Kamaka original. You won't regret it.

Top Bottom