My review of the new "Kamuke" ukulele magazine.

pepamahina

Reaction score
I got my copy of the very first issue of “Kamuke” ukulele magazine a few days ago. Here’s my review:

First Impressions:
I got this cute little envelope in the mail with a hand lettered address and some pretty Australian stamps and thought “hmmm, neato, what did I order from Australia?” Then I was surprised when I opened the envelope because I was expecting something a little bigger. The magazine is 8.25x6 inches, which is about half the size of a sheet of paper. So it’s smallish, but it is definitely fun to have something you can actually hold in your hands and flip through, as opposed to reading something online. It gave me that happy feeling that I get when I get something nifty in the mail.

Front and Back cover:
There has already been quite a bit said about the cartoon on the cover of the magazine so I will not rehash any of that here. See:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...the-market!!-Woooo-Hoooo!!!!&highlight=kamuke
For those of you (like me) who dislike the cartoon, I'm sorry to say it appears in a smaller form on the back cover, and on the inside back cover of the magazine as well, incorporated into the Kamuke title logo. Based on the way it is positioned with the title, I fear that "Slutty Sue", as I've taken to thinking of her, is meant to be the magazine’s permanent mascot. Here's hoping they change their minds.

Editor’s Grass Shack:
There is a photo of the editor, Cameron Murray, grinning in his fedora introducing the magazine. He says it is “about time someone produced a quality periodical devoted to all things uke, and this is the result.” This will be news to the producers of “Ukulele Player” magazine in particular, who have been producing a “quality periodical” for some time now that is online (and is free).

Feature Article:
The feature article on Jim Beloff is the longest article (a few pages) and, I think, the strongest. I learned some things about Jim and Liz and about Flea Market Music that I hadn’t already read elsewhere, and Jim did a nice job of answering Cameron’s questions at length. Overall, I think it’s a very good interview.

Construction Zone:
This part of the magazine contains an interview with Paul Okami of Koaloha, and is meant to be the first in a series of interviews with ukulele makers. The text and graphics are nicely laid out with some “behind the scenes” pictures of the shop at work. I liked this article as well.

Club Corner:
This article features an article with John Penhallow, one of the founders of the Balmain Ukulele Club in Sydney Australia. I personally have a limited interest in reading about other people’s clubs. They can be real yawners if you don’t know the people in the article and the club is somewhere distant. However, the questions were steered towards things like “keys to running a successful club” and “biggest challenge”, which may be useful for people who are involved in clubs or are interested in starting one.

Uke in Focus:
This is a part of the magazine I think will really appeal both to those afflicted with “UAS”, or" ukulele acquisition syndrome", as well as those of us interested in historical ukes. This issue features a short article and lots of photos of a Martin Taropatch.

Talk Stories
There are two interviews with two women ukers; “Uni and Her Ukelele”, who apparently doesn’t have a real name (or at least it is not mentioned here) and Rose Turtle Ertler. It is this section of the magazine that made me a little disgruntled. First, how can you do an article on Uni and barely mention her custom Pohaku ukulele by Peter Hurney? See:
http://pohakuukulele.com/pages/uni.html
Instead of pictures of Uni and her awesome uke, we get a head shot of her looking away from the camera that very artfully spotlights the back of her head. Even the ear that’s she has turned towards us is in shadow. So, no ukuleles here, but we are given a little boxed list of Uni’s “Favourites” that reminds me of a Playboy bio and includes her favorite color (Pink), animal (donkey), Food (sushi) City (San Francisco), and Word (Ding!). Seriously? No custom Pohaku but we know Uni’s favorite color. Yikes! What, no measurements? This little box of stupid questions is repeated for the interview with Rose (Blue, “My dog Scruffy”, vegetables, Melbourne, and lentiginous). I noticed that the men who were interviewed in this magazine were spared these questions. To be fair, the interviews themselves are fairly good as artist interviews go, and I hadn’t heard of Rose here in “The States” so I’m looking forward to checking out her music which she describes in the article as “strange pop” or “wonky folk”. But I have to ask, why take a picture of Rose holding two ukuleles cases? Where are the ukes, man?

Cinematic Strumming
This section of the magazine highlights ukuleles in film, and this month features Marilyn Monroe in “Some Like it Hot”. It is visually well laid out with photos and posters from the movie and has a few interesting things to say, like how Tony Curtis was quoted as saying that kissing Marilyn in the movie was “like kissing Hitler.” I didn’t know that “Some Like it Hot” even had a ukulele in it, so it was good news for me.

Hall of Fame
This section features ukulele star George Formby. Now I was really looking forward to this since George was more of a British star, so consequently I know less about him as an American, but unfortunately there wasn’t much here. It is too short and reads a little too much like a biography book report from school written from an encyclopedia. There are too many dates and sterile facts and not enough about the personality and life of the performer and what was special about his style. There is no mention of his famous “split stroke”, or gossip about his crazy wife. Frankly, you’re much better off with Wikipedia on this one.

Uke Around the World
This section contains photos from uke clubs “around the world”, with “the world” consisting entirely of Australia and Hawaii in this instance. Hopefully submissions from readers will help future issues expand the geography a little bit.

Reviews
This section mentions the Mighty Uke DVD and the Troy Hernandez “Hawaiian Style Ukulele 2” CD, and Fred Sokolow’s “Bluegrass Ukulele” songbook. I say “mentions” because they are too short and cursory to be real reviews, and feel more like short promotions.

Upcoming Events
This section is too short and Australia dominated to be helpful to a wider readership.

Advertising
The magazine includes ads from Mya-Moe Ukuleles, Koaloha (who is featured in an article), Scott Wise custom ukes, Gladesville Guitar Factory, and Fluke and Flea (also featured), with an email address contact for special “designs and options”.

Concluding Remarks
Overall, I’m willing to give Kamuke a chance and give it some time to evolve. It would be helpful if future issues were more conscious of the diversity and gender of its readership. However, in the end, who can say "no" to nifty ukulele tidbits in the mail?

Last edited:
Thanks for this review..I hadn't managed to order a copy and I have to say that from what you've said, it doesn't appeal to me, I'll stick with the online magazine I think, free to read and easier on my eyes.

I also saw that the website is now doing t-shirts with the "woman" on the front cover as their graphic..disappointing...

I read the first issue today myself. I liked it very much and will subscribe to it.

Lisa,

Thanks for the exhaustive, articulate, and candid review.

He says it is “about time someone produced a quality periodical devoted to all things uke, and this is the result.”

This was an unfortunate comment that, perhaps, he might want to address in a future issue?

In any event, the content does seem fairly comprehensive. And I might add, my favorite color is blue and my favorite word is "squelch." :)

Yep, got mine a couple of days ago. All good stuff, particularly enjoyed the Ko-Aloha article. Agree that the George Formby article was a bit thin but I guess that's the problem in this internet age - anyone with an interest has probably already pillaged wikipedia and the rest of the net. I guess it might pique the interest of folk who aren't yet familiar with him.

T-Shirts eh? /Strokes chin...

I think the logo is just a take on traditional tattoo flash pinup art, but it's not very traditional at all, more cartoony, so it fails there, and the article content seems to be more Man's Ukulele Monthly, going by these magazine reviews.

I've met Uni and she's cool (and that's the name she goes by so not sure what the gripe is there), but it sounds like not a serious article if you're asking a musician their favorite color instead maybe something about the songwriting process, for example. Was that asked at all? I don't like the description that women were asked airhead questions and men weren't. That doesn't sit well _at all_.

And insulting other uke magazines with backhanded comments. Very Aloha of them. Jeez.

Thanks for such a thorough review! I have to say I'm a bit turned off by the pinup-girl mascot. I'm soooooo sick of the whole "ukulele = retro = kitschy = hey, let's objectify women!" thing.

As far as content goes, it sounds like they addressed all of the usual suspects, which may be of interest to those just starting out. For us jaded oldtimers, though, they already have such tough competition in the online space that I think it's going to be hard to win us over. I'll likely pass on this issue, but would be curious to see what the future holds.

I'm gonna chime in here before this thread nose-dives.

I think pepamahina's review was extremely thorough and comprehensive and did a nice job of laying out the content of the first issue in terms of specifics.

I implore you, please do your best to refrain from commenting about the cover, the t-shirt, the cover art, what it reminds you of, and who it may or may not offend. This was discussed, ad infinitum, in the thread that she cited above and does not need to be resurrected now.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the review!

I think I will spend the money on new strings instead of this magazine. The content sounds pretty blah for my tastes.

Well said Mike, I don't think there's any mileage in reopening that conversation! ;o)

Re Content - The box outs on Uni and Rose were only a small part of the interview - they are the only performers interviewed and both come under the heading Talk Story so I think we can safely assume they go with that feature rather than being reserved for female players. Bit frivolous but what's a bit of frivolity between friends? I assume males will be asked the same questions. The other interviews are with Jim and Paul and relate to a companies - Fleamarket Music and KoAloha respectively so quite different pieces.

The backhanded insult? I assume this is the sentence 'I thought it was about time someone produced a quality periodical devoted to all things uke'. I guess you could read it that way if you really wanted to.

All in all I thought it a pretty good first stab, if I had an criticism it would be that I would have liked a bit more content. Maybe some playing tips or a featured song?

Anyway I'll stop as you'll all start thinking I'm Cameron's bitch. ;)

I've met Uni and she's cool (and that's the name she goes by so not sure what the gripe is there), but it sounds like not a serious article if you're asking a musician their favorite color instead maybe something about the songwriting process, for example. Was that asked at all? I don't like the description that women were asked airhead questions and men weren't. That doesn't sit well _at all_.

And insulting other uke magazines with backhanded comments. Very Aloha of them. Jeez.

No, the "5 Favourites" box was definitely not the only thing in the article. It asks about what attracted her to the ukulele, what she did before she was a uker, how long she's been a musician, how long it takes her to write songs, what her favorite original song is, what musicians inspire her, her favorite uke builder, and about her Australia/NZ tour. I was bummed that her Pohaku got so little discussion. Her entire response to "Of all the ukulele builders, who do you like the best?" was "Pohaku ukuleles, 'cos that's the brand I use."
I don't think that Cameron necessarily meant any insult to other magazines, if anything it seemed more like an error of ignorance.

Thanks everyone, for your praise. I really did do my best to be fair about what I thought and to give some information to those thinking about buying a copy. I hope others will write their impressions too!

TBH I'm ignorant about other publications too - what else is there that's worth checking out? :)

that's the whole thing Gav, THEY'RE AREN'T ANY, which was why Cameron said what he did. Mickey's magazine is not a hard copy magazine that can be bought in bound print. It is awesome and comprehensive and brilliantly done, but it is an online thing. you can check it out here: http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

Thanks for the review pepamahina. To present an alternative point of view, I think you are being a little harsh on this magazine. Where I agree on the 'thinness' of the featured content and the lack of depth, we must remember this is a first edition. You can't dive in at the deep end with very specific, detailed information that would only appeal to a small niche market of long-time players and afficionados. The producers are attempting to appeal to a mass market and sell their mag, as well as win over some converts with those not already won over to the ukulele. At such times one must paint with a broad brush. I am reminded of a line from one of my favorite songs, 'from little things big things grow'. Let's see, as you said, how the magazine evolves. Sure, I agree the articles are too short, but, as has been said, in this computer age of short attention spans and immediate gratification, it's merely a reflection of the culture in which it is produced. The production is bright and breezy and, in my opinion, just the way a first issue magazine on this subject should be. We all are in agreement that we wish to see others experience the joy of the ukulele. Supporting this very reasonably priced magazine is another way we can do it.

Last edited:
I thought the magazine was fine overall, and am looking forward to future copies.

It was also refreshing to have something come out that wasn't focussed on the scene in the US or UK for a change.

Thanks for the review pepamahina. To present an alternative point of view, I think you are being a little harsh on this magazine..... Let's see, as you said, how the magazine evolves.

Like cowboyukulele said, I would really describe my review as "candid" rather than harsh...and I think they can take it. As for watching the evolution of the magazine with interest, it seems that we agree!

Top Bottom