Which ukulele?

super_paws

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a ukulele; coming from an acoustic guitar (if it makes any difference), which should I look at getting?

Lanikai LU-11 - $65
Lanikai LU-21 - $67
Kala KA-15S - $70
Kala KA-S - $80

(prices are approximate, in CAD)

If there are any other suggestions/cheaper prices in Canada, any input is appreciated.

Kala over the Lani.

Well, they're both made in China, production line instruments. I haven't heard on has a better/worse build quality than the other.

I've got a Kala and I like it. Tenor, solid spruce top. Very sweet sound. Aquila strings, too. That solid top makes the world of difference.

Well, they're both made in China, production line instruments. I haven't heard on has a better/worse build quality than the other.

I've got a Kala and I like it. Tenor, solid spruce top. Very sweet sound. Aquila strings, too. That solid top makes the world of difference.

I've had several of each and when comparing like ukuleles, the Kala always EDGED out the Lanikais.

In his OP, for a couple dollars more, I'd pick the Kalas.

I have no experience of Kalas so can't comment on them but my first uke was a Lanikai LU-21 and I found it fine. The sound reminds me just of Hawaii and for a first ukulele I was really pleased, it's simple to use and the build quality is good for an inexpensive ukulele. It kept tune very well and has a pleasing tone.

My current ukulele is a curly koa Lanikai and it sounds really good. The majority of people here seem to like Kalas but don't be dissuaded from the Lanikai, I enjoy mine!

Are you getting it from the internet? If not I recommend trying to play both of them and hear the difference in tone and the action, then maybe you can make your mind up!

Kala over Makala, I played the Sopranos the other day and the Kala sounds "Sweeter".
I know the Makala is the lower end version of the Kala. The tuners are cheeper I was told.

I haven't been able to play the KA-15s to see the difference from the KA-S.

i have both kala and lanikai. luv em both, but i play the kala more often. can't go wrong with both for their price though.:rock:

The sound is different between the two. I think the Spruce top was a little sharper/brighter and the Mahogany KA-S is warmer sounding, BUT I was playing the Maple body Spruce top Soprano (I want one of those).

I would like to play/hear one of the Mahogany/Spruce versions.

Hey, Deach: would you recommend the Lanikai LU6? Would you buy one new, knowing what you do now? I have a chance to get one at a reasonable price, but I'm not all that sure about Lanikai quality or sound.

I would say get the one you can afford "now" start learning to play then get the one you think you want, cuz you will always be wanting to get the (next one) you want.

As for my self I "want" a Koaloha Tenor and Soprano and a Kamaka Tenor and Soprano.
Haven't seen/played a G-string yet so I don't know if I want one of those or any of the other brands I haven't met yet!!!
But I more than likely end up getting a Kala Maple a Mango and Koa Sopranos first (just because) or maybe that Pono Satin Soprano I was playin last week.

They all sound/play/feel different.

Hey, Deach: would you recommend the Lanikai LU6? Would you buy one new, knowing what you do now? I have a chance to get one at a reasonable price, but I'm not all that sure about Lanikai quality or sound.

I had the K-6. I decided to take one more chance with the Lani's. I ended up giving it away.....

Top Bottom