PDA

View Full Version : Which ukulele?

super_paws
07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm currently looking for a ukulele; coming from an acoustic guitar (if it makes any difference), which should I look at getting?

Lanikai LU-11 - $65
Lanikai LU-21 - $67
Kala KA-15S - $70
Kala KA-S - $80

(prices are approximate, in CAD)

If there are any other suggestions/cheaper prices in Canada, any input is appreciated.

uke142464
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
what about a makala tenor
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-TENOR-UKULELE-STARTER-PACK-W-CASE-AND-CHORDBOOK_W0QQitemZ230273964109QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item230273964109&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318
they rock

uke142464
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
a soprano would feel really tiny, and youll probably want more frets than that

super_paws
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm looking for something as cheap as possible, but not so cheap that I'm wasting my money on.

uke142464
07-25-2008, 07:51 AM
then http://www.georges-ukes.com/Kala-Makala-Tenor-Ukulele/M/B001731R6A.htm?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle
or the concert
http://www.georges-ukes.com/Kala-Makala-Concert-Ukulele/M/B00172YM9U.htm

deach
07-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Kala over the Lani.

ichadwick
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Kala over the Lani.

Well, they're both made in China, production line instruments. I haven't heard on has a better/worse build quality than the other.

I've got a Kala and I like it. Tenor, solid spruce top. Very sweet sound. Aquila strings, too. That solid top makes the world of difference.

deach
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, they're both made in China, production line instruments. I haven't heard on has a better/worse build quality than the other.

I've got a Kala and I like it. Tenor, solid spruce top. Very sweet sound. Aquila strings, too. That solid top makes the world of difference.

I've had several of each and when comparing like ukuleles, the Kala always EDGED out the Lanikais.

In his OP, for a couple dollars more, I'd pick the Kalas.

upskydowncloud
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I have no experience of Kalas so can't comment on them but my first uke was a Lanikai LU-21 and I found it fine. The sound reminds me just of Hawaii and for a first ukulele I was really pleased, it's simple to use and the build quality is good for an inexpensive ukulele. It kept tune very well and has a pleasing tone.

My current ukulele is a curly koa Lanikai and it sounds really good. The majority of people here seem to like Kalas but don't be dissuaded from the Lanikai, I enjoy mine!

Are you getting it from the internet? If not I recommend trying to play both of them and hear the difference in tone and the action, then maybe you can make your mind up!

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Kala over the Lani.

i dunno, i think they are both fairly even

freedive135
07-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Kala over Makala, I played the Sopranos the other day and the Kala sounds "Sweeter".
I know the Makala is the lower end version of the Kala. The tuners are cheeper I was told.

I haven't been able to play the KA-15s to see the difference from the KA-S.

super_paws
07-31-2008, 08:37 AM
How's the Oscar Schmidt OU2 ukulele?

SuperSecretBETA
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
How's the Oscar Schmidt OU2 ukulele?

I heard it has a plastic fretboard. :(

FHS-72
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
i have both kala and lanikai. luv em both, but i play the kala more often. can't go wrong with both for their price though.:rock:

super_paws
08-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Is a spruce-top worth getting over a full mahogany for an extra $35?

I'm debating between the Kala KA-C and KA-SC now.

freedive135
08-09-2008, 04:38 PM
The sound is different between the two. I think the Spruce top was a little sharper/brighter and the Mahogany KA-S is warmer sounding, BUT I was playing the Maple body Spruce top Soprano (I want one of those).

I would like to play/hear one of the Mahogany/Spruce versions.

super_paws
08-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Would you recommend the spruce-top for an extra $35 for a beginner, or is the full mahogany good enough?

ichadwick
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey, Deach: would you recommend the Lanikai LU6? Would you buy one new, knowing what you do now? I have a chance to get one at a reasonable price, but I'm not all that sure about Lanikai quality or sound.

freedive135
08-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I would say get the one you can afford "now" start learning to play then get the one you think you want, cuz you will always be wanting to get the (next one) you want.

As for my self I "want" a Koaloha Tenor and Soprano and a Kamaka Tenor and Soprano.
Haven't seen/played a G-string yet so I don't know if I want one of those or any of the other brands I haven't met yet!!!
But I more than likely end up getting a Kala Maple a Mango and Koa Sopranos first (just because) or maybe that Pono Satin Soprano I was playin last week.

They all sound/play/feel different.

deach
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey, Deach: would you recommend the Lanikai LU6? Would you buy one new, knowing what you do now? I have a chance to get one at a reasonable price, but I'm not all that sure about Lanikai quality or sound.

I had the K-6. I decided to take one more chance with the Lani's. I ended up giving it away.....

rayan
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Insider secret: Kalas and Lanikais are both made in the same factory in China.

tad
08-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Insider secret: Kalas and Lanikais are both made in the same factory in China.

Lexuses are made in Toyota factories, too, but they're not the same thing.

Not saying this is the case with the Lanikais and Kalas-- I've never actually seen a Lanikai in person, actually, but I always figured there was some difference... And looking at a KA-S and a LU-21 (seem to be about equivalent, while the KA-ST and the LU-11 are the slightly cheaper basic sopranos of each...) The bridges look rather different, and the tuners look like they might be different too. The headstocks are definitely different, but that's a purely visual difference.

Honestly, they could sound identical, I don't know. But they don't appear to be quite the same thing. Since Lanis have a slightly lower pricepoint, I always figured they had some corners cut, since Kalas are pretty basic to begin with.

Not arguing with you, more just thinking out loud...

rayan
08-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Lexuses are made in Toyota factories, too, but they're not the same thing.

Not saying this is the case with the Lanikais and Kalas-- I've never actually seen a Lanikai in person, actually, but I always figured there was some difference... And looking at a KA-S and a LU-21 (seem to be about equivalent, while the KA-ST and the LU-11 are the slightly cheaper basic sopranos of each...) The bridges look rather different, and the tuners look like they might be different too. The headstocks are definitely different, but that's a purely visual difference.

Honestly, they could sound identical, I don't know. But they don't appear to be quite the same thing. Since Lanis have a slightly lower pricepoint, I always figured they had some corners cut, since Kalas are pretty basic to begin with.

Not arguing with you, more just thinking out loud...

They're made in the same factory, by the same people, with the same parts.

Kala does more experimentation though.

tad
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
They're made in the same factory, by the same people, with the same parts.

Kala does more experimentation though.

It can't be all the same parts. Seriously-- are you telling me the bridge here:

http://www.activemusician.com/images/store/small/HS_LU-21.gif (http://www.activemusician.com/item--HS.LU-21)

and the bridge here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/2402535494_bca5893d8a.jpg?v=0 (http://flickr.com/photos/retius/2402535494/)

are exactly the same?

Cause they sure look different to me.

(Not being difficult here, genuinely confused...)

UkeNinja
08-18-2008, 01:43 AM
It looks like they are using the same hole though.

But seriously, Lanikai used to be sold in Japan as well, but has now been replaced almost entirely by Kala. Same factory OK, but what about the people behind these brands? Different people, right?

Futch
08-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Though the styling is different, i.e. headstock shape, bridge shape etc, the construction and materials are the same.

tad
08-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Though the styling is different, i.e. headstock shape, bridge shape etc, the construction and materials are the same.

The bridge looks to be of a different material, to my eye...
And I'm not exactly an expert, but I would assume bridges of two different materials would carry the vibrations differently, having an effect on the overall sound-- whether that difference is significant enough to be noticed would probably depend on a lot of particulars, though.

EDIT:

Further investigation, it looks like the bridges are actually rosewood on both.
That said, while headstock shape should have no real effect on the sound of an instrument, would bridge shape? I can imagine it could, although I could also imagine it not being a real significant thing...

Anyone have any thoughts?

rayan
08-18-2008, 02:22 AM
I dunno know if the story is kept under wraps for a reason but Mike Upton at Kala used to work at Hohner doing the Lanikai brand for them. He left the company to start Kala Ukulele. They use the same factory but Mike does a lot of experimentation so Kala has a lot of variation in their models but the basic LU series and the KA series instruments are 90% the same.

So to answer questions, Kala and Lanikai are 2 different companies run by different people with different visions for their products and their respective companies.

Ubie
08-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I just decided to start playing Ukulele. I have been playing bass guitar for 2 years now and i wanted something different. But I don't know what ukulele to buy to start with. But i do want a nice one to start with. So i started searching and i found a Kala Solid Mahogany, but is that a good ukulele? Or do you guys know a really nice starter ukulele? Thx in advance.

freedive135
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
The guy at my uke store told me they don't stock the solid mahogany Kala's because they don't sound/play/feel as good and cost more than the KA-S,C,T series.

I like my KA-S so much I got 2 (different strings though).

Ubie
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Thx for the info. So I found this guy on ebay who is also reccomended on this forum and I think I know what I'm going to buy.

Check it. (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kala-KA-S-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-STARTER-PACK_W0QQitemZ230282370495QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16224 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262)

This looks like a pretty solid starter pack.

Bassukuguy
08-20-2008, 11:13 PM
just a not for guys coming off guitar and bass... personally i would not go soprano... i have tried and maybe its just because i have chunky fingers... i played some really crappy ones in a guitar store and i just couldnt do anything on them.

i suggest the Kala KA-C for me there is enough room to have correct positions with my fingers and such. i have not tried any Lanikais. i would also suggest that if you dont want to drop the like 130 from MGM for a Kala KA-C i would suggest that you go with the makala, the Squire to Kala's Fender. yeah the tone is diffrent but its a beginner instrument...

Dane
08-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I have only one uke and it's a concert. I have pretty long and normal sized fingers, a bit on the skinny size, and I still have a few problems with cords where my fingers still touch other strings ocasionally. Which is why I'm looking into tenor soon.

Bassukuguy
08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Which is why I'm looking into tenor soon.

i feel ya man, my next will be a tenor also... freaking stumpy fingers...

Dane
08-20-2008, 11:27 PM
i feel ya man, my next will be a tenor also... freaking stumpy fingers...

There are plenty of large fingered players though that play soprano, maybe once I improve a bit I will move back to concert, who knows. I really just want to get into better ukes though, because as I said I'm picky, and my OU3 can't do everything I'd like it to. I'm getting curious about the cutaways with the electric/acoustics, my brother who lives in oregon (A 2 days drive) has my amp... so I'm not going to be buying another one. I would have to wait until he came to see me or I went to see him. Who knows how long that will be. They add about $100 dollars to the price tag it seems though, I'd rather take the extra 100 dollars to quality of acoustic.