Martin S1 vs. Ohana sk38 vs. Loprinzi vs. Kiwaya

Mouthy1

Reaction score
I am bored and I have some cash to waste so I am getting a shakey mouse button finger. Anyone have opinions on which is the best bang for my buck? Again, best bang for my buck. If one is $100 more, then I should be $100 better sounding. I am trying to stay in the just under premium category, not the big leagues since this would be my 15th uke!!! Just some opinions if you could kindly offer them. Would likely spend under $400. New or used, makes no difference to me honestly. Thanks fellow UU'ers.

At that price point, you probably can't get a Kiwaya KTS4, so I would say the best bang for the buck is probably an Ohana SK-35 or SK-38 (a bit more). I've played the Loprinzi sopranos and to be honest I have never been impressed with their sound for the dough. They are pretty though. I have not played an S1 Martin (the new one), so I can't give that an opinion, but its at least twice the price, and I seriously doubt it sounds 2 times better than an Ohana.

Last edited:
LoPrinzi, hands down; I have to differ with SweetWaterBlue. :)

How about getting a second hand one...you can get a good above middle level one for that amount...check out the UU marketplace, craigslist, Flea Market Music, Ebay.etc.for deals.get the best you can afford or
save a little longer and you can get a used premimum uke....and save on the upgrades, you'll come out way ahead and you'll have a better playing, sounding uke that may be more comfortable too....
Good Luck and Let us know what you decided to get....Happy Strummings..MM Stan..

Good, getting some good opin's so far. Money isn't the problem. I have refreshed my phone and computer so many times on the marketplaces that my touch screen is wearing out. I am a serious shopper to say the least. I am very interested in the Martin and the SK38 because they are pretty cheap honestly. Not too much of a stretch. I have a PK25 pineapple and love it. Love my cedar top soprano Ohana too. I am loving the opinions though so that you so far. I played on Loprinzi Concert and loved it. Really surprised. I love the KoAloha too but I know I will end up with one of the 4 I listed so may as well start there.

Right now, we don't know what the resale value of the Martin will be, but the Ohana is roughly half the price. That makes it a great value and a can't miss. I will be reviewing one in the next issue of Ukulele Player Magazine.

LoPrinzi, hands down; I have to differ with SweetWaterBlue. :)

At the price you stole that Loprinzi tenor at, it would be tough for it not to be way up there on the bang for the buck scale, and it will probably only appreciate from here on out.

Do you have a vintage Martin? You can get a nice Style 0 for around $400 with a bit of patience, and there's absolutely no comparison. I've never heard anything better.

Check out the Sailor Brand Ukes that UkeRepublic is offering.

I'd concur with the vintage message: Wait and find a : Gretsch, Martin 0, or Favilla vintage. You should be able to find the Gretsch and Favilla easily for under $400. The Martin, these days, will be a harder task--but not impossible.

Now, if you're itchy and HAVE to buy NOW, then spend your money on an Ohana SK35 satin finish. You will not do better.

Do you have a vintage Martin? You can get a nice Style 0 for around $400 with a bit of patience, and there's absolutely no comparison. I've never heard anything better.

They're getting harder to acquire at $400.00, but I'd agree that yoou probably cannot get anything that sounds and plays better for that kind of dough. If you like a soprano, you'll probably want one eventually.

Top Bottom