Call me stupid.. But...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have to confess, I have NO clue what the heck a "Small Jumbo Guitar" is? Just saw this in an add, and I have not a clue what that would mean other than a regular sized guitar? Dunno, maybe I'm the moron?

Kinda reminds me of the term "Jumbo shrimp"

I have heard of the size "mini Jumbo". Just looked like a folk body guitar to me.

A Jumbo is an accoustic guitar with a deep waist, as opposed to a dreadnaught which has a shallow waist. Gibson J200 is a Jumbo, Gibson Hummingbird is a dreadnaught.

A Jumbo is an accoustic guitar with a deep waist, as opposed to a dreadnaught which has a shallow waist. Gibson J200 is a Jumbo, Gibson Hummingbird is a dreadnaught.

So, tecnically, the term 'Jumbo" is not really in reference to it's overall size, but the broader waist of the body?

Hi

I'm sure that a jumbo body has a *narrower* waist (the waist is the narrowest part of body). The widest part is called the lower bout, and the other wide part is the upper bout. I'm sure that terminology is same for ukulele (except for pine apples).

A jumbo has a tighter (narrower) waist than a dreadnought and the jumbo body looks like a figure 8. More over, usually a jumbo body has a 16 ~ 17 inch width, and a dreadnought has 15.5 ~ 16 inch lower bout width.

When people say a small jumbo, the lower bout width is 15 ~ 15.5 inches.

This page may give you some clues.

Cheers
Chief

Okay, Stupid Butt (was I first, was I?)

John

Reminds me of the former professional wrassler: Big Tiny Little
I'm not into wrasslin' but I like the name.

Top Bottom