Anyone own one! Sailor uke.

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I spoke with Mike at Uke republic about two weeks ago and was very impressed with the Sailor brand soprano uke. It really sounds like a a great instrument and I am about ready to place my order. Before I do I would like to know if any of you own one or have really played one and what do you think. I liked the youtube vid but I would just like to hear some pros and cons from owners. I look forward to hearing your comments! rem

I own Serial #1 of the Sailor Soprano. I LOVE it. I travel each week & it goes w/me. I love the sweet tone, the 14 frets to the body & the quality construction. I don't think you can go wrong w/one.

Thanks for posting this thread, I would love to own one someday, especially since I have been married to the Navy for 17 yrs now. I loved the sound on the video..
Can't wait to hear more about these lovely ukulele's!

Gmoney, just what I needed to hear. I do not think I can go wrong either. Wonder what serial number I'll get. Hmmm. Fitncrafty, will post my thoughts on it too for you! Any other comments?

I played one when I visited Atlanta. It was the Sailor prototype and it was real nice. I guess they come in different flavors, whatever you want.

I have played many of them. The prototype as well as full on production models. A sailor Brand uke will more than likely be my next uke purchase. BTW I think that the Sailor Brand will become the best bang for your buck uke.

If you're looking for bang/buck make sure to check out Black Bear. Duane is selling all-solid, made-in-USA ukes at amazingly low prices...

I put the deposit on the uke 2 minutes ago! Talked with mike earlier today and got the order ready. I went with the eucalyptus back and sides with a mahogany top. I wanted a warmer sound. Going to have black tuners and black binding. It may be a little different looking but it will be mine!

It's a go! Now what does mahogany and eucalyptus smell like? MMMMM...
I put the deposit on the uke 2 minutes ago! Talked with mike earlier today and got the order ready. I went with the eucalyptus back and sides with a mahogany top. I wanted a warmer sound. Going to have black tuners and black binding. It may be a little different looking but it will be mine!

Well it depends on how they are born. There are tenors and sopranos both in the works . Oh and some concerts so what will hatch first:) You are so welcome too! There are a few out there that don't post here.
This is from an email

Hi Mike,

Got the Sailor today - you have a real winner there. Nice even tone, perfect intonation and TONS of projection for a soprano - having the body at the 14th fret is a big help for the occasional wander up the fretboard, but also seems to balance the instrument really well (I am not having to "adjust" during playing at all - always a sign of good balance for me!). The figured veneer and satin finish look fantastic and the uke overall has an "old-time", simple appearance which I love (enhanced by the great heel shape, I think).

Something tells me that a Sailor tenor may be in my future... I'll keep you posted ;-)

Well, sorry for going on, but I thought I'd give you a quick initial impresh...

Thanks!

Yahoo! Thanks Mike! Will it be in the top ten?????? :)

Wow, sounds great to me. I hope you post pictures.....sounds like my kind of uke!

Maybe not quite as cheap, but *SOLID KOA* for $350 is pretty amazing....

the Sailor's look awesome but I have to second WestPhillyUke's recommendation of the amazingly cheap Black Bears being offered at the moment for 350. I own 2, a custom and a conventional mahogany soprano and they are so well built and sound amazing...and look beautiful. Solid Koa soprano for 350 built by Duane Heilman? Yes please.

congrats on the new 'sailor' rem. Great reports so far. You've got a lovely uke there! :)

the Sailor's look awesome but I have to second WestPhillyUke's recommendation of the amazingly cheap Black Bears being offered at the moment for 350. I own 2, a custom and a conventional mahogany soprano and they are so well built and sound amazing...and look beautiful. Solid Koa soprano for 350 built by Duane Heilman? Yes please.

congrats on the new 'sailor' rem. Great reports so far. You've got a lovely uke there! :)

Man I am grouchy right now...

Last edited:
aren't you the guy that used to be called sugarinthegourd?
Do you have a personal vendetta against sailor brand ukes or ukerepublic? I remember you started some junk earlier and now you are posting off topic. If you want to pimp BB then go start a new thread.

sorry John. Didn't mean to do the wrong thing mate. Just wanted to agree with WestPhillyUke's comments re Black Bear. I'm sure nothing personal meant but your point is well taken.

From what I've seen and heard from Mike at Uke Republic re the Sailors, they do look fantastic and sensational value for money. Again rem, congrats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom